Favorite Christmas song

PASabreFan

I'm an admitted Scrooge when it comes to Christmas music.  Just about all of it is shlock.  I tolerate it Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and try to keep the playlist on the classical side of Christmas (as in orchestra, not Bing Crosby), although I get much protesting from the gene pool.

As far as radio played Christmas tunes.... Little Drummer Boy.  And that's about it.  It's a pretty powerful song, really.  It brings up the dust in the room.

Edited by Weave

2 hours ago, Radar said:

Oh Holy Night, Silent Night,Drummer Boy pretty much in that order.

This.

Lost in all the commercial hype, the hate of the either the religious significance or the spirit of the time of the year is the message a guy from Nazareth gave to the world somewhere around 2000 years ago. That message is to love one another unconditionally. Inspiring message, very sad adherence by the species to it.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bunomatic said:

The Pogues - Fairy tale in New York

This is it. Full stop. And I generally don't entertain a debate on the topic.

For me, there's a level of sorrow or sombreness that, for me, makes a Christmas song special.

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Should be a short thread, because it starts and ends here, my friends. Burl Ives singing "have" at 1:48 is one of the most delightful sounds ever known.

I'd never focused on that - good call. Probably because his phrasing of "kiss her" always just delights me so. What a performance.

• Thanks (+1) 1

And, on a more personal level, this guy's an old friend from what seems like another lifetime. He's originally from Vancouver, and spent a big chunk of time in L.A. (which is where the song was made, obvi), but now lives in Nashville (and supports the Predators). If you listen carefully to the lyrics, I guarantee your hockey sensibilities will be pleased. Just a terrific singer/songwriter (And producer).

• Like (+1) 1

No really, it's spoils the listening, especially the pre-emptive "Full stop."  I've tried listening to the song but the "recommendations" are so strong that I find myself impatiently asking myself, "Okay, when does this song get good?"  And it never does, because y'all have poisoned it for me.

• Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

No really, it's spoils the listening, especially the pre-emptive "Full stop."  I've tried listening to the song but the "recommendations" are so strong that I find myself impatiently asking myself, "Okay, when does this song get good?"  And it never does, because y'all have poisoned it for me.

Image result for smh gif

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.