GDT Dec 17 2019 Sabres @ Leafs. 7pm ET. NBCSN

steveoath

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The Leafs are, for sure, a more talented squad than the Sabres. Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Marner ... sheesh.

It’s unbelievable how much skill they have at the top - Matthews and Tavares are elite and Marner and Reilly are just below that.

Not many teams would have a guy as good as Nylander outside their top four.

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Also this-the coach and GM should put him in a position to succeed. He hasn’t been. He can clearly score but has played with bums all year. On a team lacking skilled forwards some of the blame can be levelled at coach/GM.

Skinner.thumb.JPG.c6b68d2e19352b0b3287831578d26fb7.JPG

More than 70% of his TOI is with Eichel or MoJo.   This also factors that Marcus was injured, and decisions were made at 2C.   RK has put him in a position to succeed.   

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

...but he scored 40 goals with Jack.

I'm not saying move him to Jack's line forever, just get him kickstarted.

Which is completely different than saying Skinner can’t create by himself, and that is the specific point I was responding to.

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Skinner.thumb.JPG.c6b68d2e19352b0b3287831578d26fb7.JPG

More than 70% of his TOI is with Eichel or MoJo.   This also factors that Marcus was injured, and decisions were made at 2C.   RK has put him in a position to succeed.   

I should have specified 5 on 5 . I have been waiting all year to see Skinny back on a line with Eichel. 

23 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It did warp my mind. Have a question for you. Are Eichel's rear panels supposed to function as force field deflectors or are the panels themselves deflectors?

He may not look much (different from last year), but he's got it where it counts. He's made a lot of special modifications to himself. Namely, he's upgraded to an ion cannon that renders the goalie inoperable, beyond his usual turbolasers. He also has a planetary shield that he showed in Nashville where all defenders were forced up to 10 feet away. Finally, rumor has it that he has in fact installed a new "Jagr" rear deflector shield. These are a deflector shield, and the panels themselves are still susceptible to damage if the shield is down or compromised.

17 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

In today's NHL opposing teams do this at even strength anyway, icing isn't that big of a deal and all these guys can aim. I'd rather have only 4 players available to pounce on a loose puck and try it, those players PKers at that, than 5. Coupled with the extra space for the extra attacker, I'd do what Ralph did every time.

Really?

Because Krueger (or whoever coaches the PP) DIDN'T set up with a formation where there were 6 skaters battling for loose pucks against 4 skaters.  Ristolainen was sent out to help Reinhart set a screen.  So, it was 4v4 with Anderson having a very difficult time seeing what was going on around him.  But that didn't  matter as Johansson lost his ONE ON ONE battle near the boards.

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Wasn't it just the previous game when we successfully pulled the goalie late on the PP and scored to send the game to OT? Didn't visit that game day thread. Was everyone complaining about how stupid Ralph was?

Why does Ralph need to fix Jeff Skinner? Why doesn't Jeff have to fix Jeff? Why doesn't Sabrespace's pet get called out for his poor production, body language and failure to hustle on the backcheck?

Leaf fans have to be frustrated that a team with that much puck skill continues to be vulnerable due to its unmitigated arrogance.

It is possible to disagree with Ralph without calling him stupid.  I think he is brilliant but I still don’t like the goalie pull against the Leaves.  The prior game goalie pull was a different circumstance, different game, and much different time on the clock.  

Ralph does not need to “fix” Skinner.  He needs to help maximize his abilities.  

I think Botterill overpaid  for Skinner.  Still, I see Skinner working as hard as ever. I see him playing with lesser line mates like ERod and Mitts, who don’t, and can’t,  get him the puck.   Skinner is pressing a bit but he is a goal scorer/finisher.  If you want to maximize his skill then play him with someone that can create.    This teams needs a 2C that can play with Skinner or Reinhart.  It would help if Johansson plays with Skinner.   

Even then, Johansson’s history suggests he  is a good 3rd line, top 9 forward.  Let’s face it, he is somewhat of a journeyman.  10 seasons, 4 teams,  616 games, 125 goals, 348 points.  Skinner has doubled that output in the same time period.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.