GDT Dec 17 2019 Sabres @ Leafs. 7pm ET. NBCSN

steveoath

Ugh, can't stand the Leafs. I wish they'd go get spayed and neutered like the Prices Right always talks about. 

It seemed like the LOG line and Eichel showed up at 7:00. Reinhart seemed unable to play any offense most of the game yet made two great backchecks.

Dahlin is looking good.

I get the sense Dahlin sent it to MoJo for a quick back and forth before he tried to get it to Eichel but MoJo overthought it and flubbed it.

Just now, Taro T said:

And Dahlin looked the best he has this season.  He was playing like he did right before running out of gas towards the end last year.

Never want to see a guy get a concussion, but that break looks like it was good for him.  Hoping & expecting he keeps it up.

I hate comparing the two teams, but Allen getting injured his rookie year was one of the best things that happened to him. 

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Previous teams would have been run over in the third, they didn’t allow that to happen tonight.

There is a lot of work to do, but it trending in the right direction 

Like which Sabres team? The 2016-17 one that was down 4-1 to San Jose in the third, and won in overtime? And also overcame a late 2 goal deficit in Nashville to beat them in OT? The 2017-18 team that was down 4-1 late to Vegas and took them to overtime too, as well as turning a 4-1 deficit into a 7-4 victory in Nashville? The 18-19 Housley squad that went down 2 late against Carolina in the midst of the collapse last year, and tied it in a frenzy? Even better - the 2018-19 Sabres team that, in Toronto in March, was down 4-1 just like today, brought it back to 4-3 in the third just like today, and lost 5-3 on a shorthanded ENG just like today? That game was only 9 months ago. 

I don't think "previous teams wouldn't have been capable of this" holds any water. We lost a game in which we looked silly for large chunks of it. It stings. Gotta move on 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Well, cue the Reinhart defenders, but the dude has not been playing where he needs to be. He's about effective on the first line as Mitts was effective on the second.

Also not too sure about pulling the goalie during the PP at the end there. There's probably numbers that support the move, but it seems more like football thinking than hockey thinking.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

It worked against the Islanders but come on Ralph. The PP could have tied that game up without another guy on the ice taking up room.

Agree. We had momentum and PP.  if they don’t convert we have 2+ minutes to go for it. 

11 minutes ago, ... said:

Well, cue the Reinhart defenders, but the dude has not been playing where he needs to be. He's about effective on the first line as Mitts was effective on the second.

Also not too sure about pulling the goalie during the PP at the end there. There's probably numbers that support the move, but it seems more like football thinking than hockey thinking.

At the moment, Reinhart is not adding much. He could use some time in the press box. Soft, complimentary, player who cannot drive play. I would also consider moving him in a hockey trade while he has value. Move Skinner back with Eichel too.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Well if a coach makes a call based on the fact someone on his team might screw up he is not the coach I want. 

Lol. He made the call thinking they’d tie it up. The problem is it made it easy for TO to put a stop to us tying it up . We already had a powerplay. Linus would have looked good standing back there. 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

They hadn't shown that proclivity when down a man like they were at the end there

Mmm, they were getting behind us all night. I don't mind taking that gamble, but the context of the game simply must be factored in. The Loafs were getting a jump on our D all night, and had beat us up for 40 out of 55 minutes up until that point. Our team is still tenuous and when the other team has dominated most of the game, you don't give them a path back in.  

There was, what, about a minute left in the PP when Linus was pulled? That PP was just getting started, and we would have had over 2 minutes after that. A tie under "normal" circumstances with this Sabres' roster, at this moment in time, was completely within the realm of possibility so long as no one screws up and everyone does their job as best as possible. That's defined this third phase of the season so far. RK is the one who screwed up and took an unwise gamble.

34 minutes ago, #freejame said:

The numbers say pull the goalie early, especially on the power play. 

Two goals down and I would do it.  

One goal down and the way we took control of the 3rd period I would have not taken the risk.  I liked our 5 on 5 and would have pulled the goalie at about 2 minutes like a good old fashion coach from the 60’s.  

Either way we woke up too late. Very uninspired play for 2periods. 

41 minutes ago, Southtown Tommy said:

At the moment, Reinhart is not adding much. He could use some time in the press box. Soft, complimentary, player who cannot drive play. I would also consider moving him in a hockey trade while he has value. Move Skinner back with Eichel too.

Everytime we trade a good top 6 forward (see Kane and ROR) we have to replace him, something Boterill has not been able to do yet.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.