Casey Mittlestadt has been sent to Amerks

Brawndo

This is a good move for Casey & the Sabres. 

It gives Casey an opportunity to play big minutes in all situations to develop his game and grow as a player. Playing 9 minutes in the NHL doesn't allow for any of that.

This is also good for the organization as it shows they're not afraid to send you down if if you're were the 1st pick and roommate of Dahlin....typing this out doesn't make that much sense since he stayed up for far longer than he should. Glad they finally pulled that trigger.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Your whole theory makes no sense.  You are assuming that players get better by simply getting older.  That means that people can’t learn or improve through experience.  

I said just the opposite, that by the time they get to the NHL, they either have it or don’t. I didn’t say they get better, I said they get stronger, mature and realize what they need to do. I don’t think, on the average, most players become top 4/6 forwards by paying in the AHL. Now Free came up with some examples of guys that took awhile to get it. Maybe Casey will but I contend he won’t learn anything in the AHL that he doesn’t already know.

Some guys are ready at 18, some 21, some 24. 

Lighting up the AHL will only price he’s better then the AHL players.

28 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I said just the opposite, that by the time they get to the NHL, they either have it or don’t. I didn’t say they get better, I said they get stronger, mature and realize what they need to do. I don’t think, on the average, most players become top 4/6 forwards by paying in the AHL. Now Free came up with some examples of guys that took awhile to get it. Maybe Casey will but I contend he won’t learn anything in the AHL that he doesn’t already know.

But will he get better at the things he does know? That's the counterpoint. He might know how to create space and shoot well but he might learn how actually to do it. I don't agree at all with our underlying theory that players don't develop. There's just so many players who come up and "don't have it" only to go back down and then get it. Hell Jokiharju was sent down last year and talks about how it helped him. I just don't believe these players would have magically "figured it out" so to speak without being put in a position to succeed at a lower level and develop their skills. 

Edited by LGR4GM
spelling

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

This the attitude he needs 

We don't know if he's serious or just putting on a good face though.

Considering how things have gone this year, I fall on the "I think he's serious" side.

1 hour ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Would you be happy and full of confidence being demoted in your job when there are co-workers performing just as poorly as you?

Didn't think so.

One thing I learned a long, long time ago, is that it's never a wise decision to measure your career against those around you.  Measure it against yourself, your experience, and your abilities.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The celebratory memes/gifs/whatevers are a bit over the top. I know the response is going to be they are merely happy for Casey/supportive of the move. Still...

I'm fully supportive of the move.  I don't see it as "getting rid of Casey."  I see it as "it's time to fix Casey."  I don't see it as Casey's fault; I think this is a management call that should have been made long ago.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I can think of something more frustrating than being a healthy scratch... having a zero removed from your paycheck.  Hopefully that serves a motivational purpose, but I couldn't fault the kid if he's angry about it.  This is the kind of thing that can break a lot of people.  Hopefully he's got the right head on his shoulders to deal with it.  We will see.

Does he have a 2 way contract?

I assumed it was one way. He's getting paid the same here or in Rochester. 

27 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Maybe because some guys need some extra teaching to learn it?

He doesn't know how to be strong on his stick and harder to knock over. He may learn that.

He's about to get a lot of one-on-one coaching. It's why the league exists. Their schedule has 7 day lapses between games almost every week. They practice almost every day during the week for hours. 

Kids who go from high school in two years right to pro always struggle with the physical aspect of the game. And that’s all I really see Mittelstadt struggling with. Too much of wallowing in getting outmatches and it’ll kill his confidence forever. Better late than never.

He slowed down when he put the size on and then lost the edge his game relied a lot on. He’s only something like 21?  He’s fine 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Does he have a 2 way contract?

I assumed it was one way. He's getting paid the same here or in Rochester. 

If you check nhlnumbers.com, https://puckpedia.com/player/casey-mittelstadt or a few other places I guess, it looks like Mittelstadt makes 832.5g in Buffalo but 70g in Rochester. It looks like he gets his 92.5g bonus either way.

Casey will be back in the big league. I have seen it. (Besides, I have big plans for Petula Clark auf Deutsch.)

Some guys just take a bit of time to get their game and strength to sync up. And the AHL is perfect for prospects to figure that out. It's still rough and tumble, still filled with powerful grown men, but it's just a step slower on the ice and a few more gaps in between games to rest.

Reino was in a similar during his 9-game tryout his rookie year, and it took him a couple seasons to stay on his skates. Same with Girgensons... he was still ending up on his butt all the time for 2 or 3 seasons. Now, Girgs is good along the boards and Reinhart routinely makes those nifty passes along the boards but now he stays up the whole time.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Casey’s contract, like all ELCs, is 2-ways.  Casey makes $70,000 per season in the AHL compared to his $925,000 in the NHL.

That's one hell of a demotion. Sh*t. I, for one, would not be happy with an $855,000 pay cut (I know he's already been paid at the 925k level for 30 some games), but in theory, that's rough. At least we know he has motivation to really work on his game. 

Can you even live comfortably in Rochester on 70K a year? Does the team pay for or provide housing for players in his situation?

9 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

That's one hell of a demotion. Sh*t. I, for one, would not be happy with an $855,000 pay cut (I know he's already been paid at the 925k level for 30 some games), but in theory, that's rough. At least we know he has motivation to really work on his game. 

Can you even live comfortably in Rochester on 70K a year? Does the team pay for or provide housing for players in his situation?

You can live comfortably in Buffalo on 70K, so I would imagine the same in Rochester.  The team does not provide housing.

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You can live comfortably in Buffalo on 70K, so I would imagine the same in Rochester.  The team does not provide housing.

The team actually is required to provide some accommodations in the short term.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but it is specifically outlined in the CBA what they have to provide to any player who is traded, called up, or sent down to the minors.  More than likely, they're living out of a hotel in the short term.

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

The team actually is required to provide some accommodations in the short term.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but it is specifically outlined in the CBA what they have to provide to any player who is traded, called up, or sent down to the minors.  More than likely, they're living out of a hotel in the short term.

Yeah--I meant long term.  Sorry about the ambiguity.  The Sabres will pay for a hotel for 3 weeks.

Edited by Eleven

He would not be the first guy that needed time in the AHL. 

I am encouraged by his attitude and willingness to learn.   He need to dominate in the AHL to build up confidence and to work on his game. 

Still very young and will be  fine NHL player someday .

It is certainly dysfunctional that he did not spend time in the AHL last season, that was fallout from losing ROR and then losing Berglund. 

43 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Very much so. Rochester cost of living is pretty low

That actually makes me realize it's kinda nuts how I've never run into a Sabre/Amerk around Rochester. I'm out all the time at some of the bigger spots, figured some random luck would have hit by now

Edited by WildCard

This talk of OMG can he afford to live in Rochester is absurd.  He made almost ONE MILLION DOLLARS the last two seasons, plus 30-whatever games for this season.  If he doesn't have enough money sitting the bank to live in Rochester for 10 years, I'm not gonna feel sorry for him.

a million dollars GIF

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

This talk of OMG can he afford to live in Rochester is absurd.  He made almost ONE MILLION DOLLARS the last two seasons, plus 30-whatever games for this season.  If he doesn't have enough money sitting the bank to live in Rochester for 10 years, I'm not gonna feel sorry for him.

a million dollars GIF

Maybe he has a gambling habit! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.