Casey Mittlestadt has been sent to Amerks

Brawndo

2 hours ago, shrader said:

You missed both a zero and an extra 225k there.

The money wasn't the point of @tom webster's and my conversation.

The point was he should have never left college or he should have gone directly to the AHL.

He may not have signed here if we didn't do some type of hand shake deal that he gets an NHL shot right away.

So that begs the question...

Should the Sabres have said no to that NHL shot and moved on to a different player?

27 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

The money wasn't the point of @tom webster's and my conversation.

The point was he should have never left college or he should have gone directly to the AHL.

He may not have signed here if we didn't do some type of hand shake deal that he gets an NHL shot right away.

So that begs the question...

Should the Sabres have said no to that NHL shot and moved on to a different player?

The look on Botterill’s face when he made the pick made it seem like he wasn’t so sure at the time either 

but I believe that Minnesota kid in Minnesota held all his cards and forced the ELC and instant NHL

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

The look on Botterill’s face when he made the pick made it seem like he wasn’t so sure at the time either 

but I believe that Minnesota kid in Minnesota held all his cards and forced the ELC and instant NHL

But if he didn't sign right away, what could have happened:

1. He plays out his college career and signs with the Sabres later.
  2. He plays out his college career and holds out a la Vesey.  (If that's the indication, Sabres trade his rights for another pick perhaps.)
  3. He plays a year or two in college then signs.  Depending on his development, perhaps is ready for the NHL.

Only #2 is a losing proposition.  I think JBot was so enamored of Casey though that he thought he could make the jump and promised he would make it happen.

25 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

But if he didn't sign right away, what could have happened:

1. He plays out his college career and signs with the Sabres later.
  2. He plays out his college career and holds out a la Vesey.  (If that's the indication, Sabres trade his rights for another pick perhaps.)
  3. He plays a year or two in college then signs.  Depending on his development, perhaps is ready for the NHL.

Only #2 is a losing proposition.  I think JBot was so enamored of Casey though that he thought he could make the jump and promised he would make it happen.

Casey didn’t jump straight to the NHL from high school or immediately after the draft.  You guys are making it sound as if he did.

He played an entire season at the University of Minnesota after his draft year.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Casey didn’t jump straight to the NHL from high school or immediately after the draft.  You guys are making it sound as if he did.

He played an entire season at the University of Minnesota after his draft year.

And wasn’t very good. With questions about his level of commitment swirling in the background you have to wonder how closely the team monitored him while he was in College. It’s all moot now, the question is only whether he will ever get it. The odds say no, but history shows a lot of examples of guys that did.

15 minutes ago, tom webster said:

And wasn’t very good. With questions about his level of commitment swirling in the background you have to wonder how closely the team monitored him while he was in College. It’s all moot now, the question is only whether he will ever get it. The odds say no, but history shows a lot of examples of guys that did.

I think it’s a little unfair to say he wasn’t very good at Minn.  He did lead the team in points per game.

That being said, yes, he did not quite excel like would be expected from a future NHL star.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think it’s a little unfair to say he wasn’t very good at Minn.  He did lead the team in points per game.

That being said, yes, he did not quite excel like would be expected from a future NHL star.

I’d have to go back and look but I remember him loading up on points early season before they started conference play but I’m not sure.

i just checked, it was the opposite, he picked up 7 points in last hour games, all losses to Penn State coincidentally.

Edited by tom webster

23 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’d have to go back and look but I remember him loading up on points early season before they started conference play but I’m not sure.

i just checked, it was the opposite, he picked up 7 points in last hour games, all losses to Penn State coincidentally.

He also spent the season on their 2nd line with less than stellar linemates and had an awful lot of opportunities to collect assists go harmlessly off teammates sticks uncannily similar to Eichel's 1st year in Buffalo.

He didn't have killer stats as a Gopher but he played well for them. 

Let me repeat.  Casey just turned 21.  He has high end skill and now he needs to develop.  He is finally getting that opportunity.  Rookie sensation VO is 24.  There is no timetable.  Hopefully he stays in the AHL for the season and gets a fresh look next camp and if he still isn''t doing what needs to be done, then he can spend even more time in Rochester.  He should have never been force feed the NHL and now it's time to fix that mistake.  

No one here has any idea what this kid can and will become.  Is he another Grigorenko, or Curtis Lazar (who is just 24 FYI) or is he the next Jason Pominville (who was 23 when he finally stuck with the Sabres)?  Who knows.  My guess is that he becomes a solid 2nd/3rd line RW.  Reinhart light but he has a chance to be a good as Pommers.  He has more talent and better speed.  He just needs Pommer's work ethic.  

I'd love to see the Sabres higher Pommers as a development coach.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let me repeat.  Casey just turned 21.  He has high end skill and now he needs to develop.  He is finally getting that opportunity.  Rookie sensation VO is 24.  There is no timetable.  Hopefully he stays in the AHL for the season and gets a fresh look next camp and if he still isn''t doing what needs to be done, then he can spend even more time in Rochester.  He should have never been force feed the NHL and now it's time to fix that mistake.  

No one here has any idea what this kid can and will become.  Is he another Grigorenko, or Curtis Lazar (who is just 24 FYI) or is he the next Jason Pominville (who was 23 when he finally stuck with the Sabres)?  Who knows.  My guess is that he becomes a solid 2nd/3rd line RW.  Reinhart light but he has a chance to be a good as Pommers.  He has more talent and better speed.  He just needs Pommer's work ethic.  

I'd love to see the Sabres higher Pommers as a development coach.

Pommer’s hockey IQ was much better than Mitts’ is.  

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Please may the Sabres leave him in Rochester and not screw this up further... please. 

Having Casey become a top 6 player would be instrumental for our success going forward. If he could actually become a 2C? Well we might actually not be totally *****

Edited by WildCard

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Please may the Sabres leave him in Rochester and not screw this up further... please. 

I tend to agree here. 
It would be so cool to see Mitts in the playoffs helping the Amerks. Great for his development and experience. Sabres are in no NEED for Mitts for the next 4 months.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.