Casey Mittlestadt has been sent to Amerks

Brawndo

4 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

He's sitting in Roch thinking that just one injury and we need to call him up. Let him play in Cincy and earn his way to Roch. So far there's no evidence that he's even taking the move to Roch seriously. 

I would think that generally when young guys get sent down, they are given a list of things to work on.  You need to work on X, Y, and Z and we need to see improvement in these areas before you come back to the NHL.  Young, struggling guys like him rarely shuffle back and forth to cover injuries.  That’s what guys like Lazar are for.  Casey has long term objectives that he needs to meet.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I think his problems aren’t going to be readily worked on in-season in Roc, Cincy, or anywhere else. We’re not going to see improvement over the course of this season. I think he’s going to have to commit like never before in the offseason.  Not just conditioning, but skills development as well.

That’s one of the advantages of the AHL though, more time between games and less travel.  More time to practice, work out and work on skills.

• Like (+1) 1

It goes to show you just never can tell. This kid was tearing it up at the Junior level - looked like the next Patrick Kane, and you can't say it was a dumb draft choice. I hope it works out in the long run, but it's definitely a 'wait and see' situation at this point. 

Edited by Skibum

Universally this board, at the time of the pick was ecstatic, I recall us believing we got lucky that he slipped to our spot no? 

Hindsight is 20/20, but I remember when he put his glove up to the other teams bench after scoring, we were all "we need his swagger and competitiveness" 

Now it's just cocky arrogance. I don't know what will happen with mitts, he doesn't seem to have the "it" factor. Sadly. 

13 hours ago, Skibum said:

It goes to show you just never can tell. This kid was tearing it up at the Junior level - looked like the next Patrick Kane, and you can't say it was a dumb draft choice. I hope it works out in the long run, but it's definitely a 'wait and see' situation at this point. 

Casey was in the USHL.  Not sure if that qualifies as juniors.  I'll put his stat line up against another current Sabres player at the same age:

GP G A PTS

51 21 28 49

34 11 19 30

Pretty similar scoring rates.  Anyone guess who's stats I listed first? 

Maybe we need to recalibrate our expectations.  He was only taken 6 picks before our former all-star. 

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Casey was in the USHL.  Not sure if that qualifies as juniors.  I'll put his stat line up against another current Sabres player at the same age:

GP G A PTS

51 21 28 49

34 11 19 30

Maybe we need to recalibrate our expectations.  He was only taken 6 picks before our former all-star. 

Damn. That's quite the reality check. You suck. ?

26 minutes ago, inkman said:

GP G A PTS

51 21 28 49

34 11 19 30

Yes the ushl counts as a junior league. However the numbers you put up are mitts college year. A good comparison as we can see Mitts didn't set the ncaa on fire. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes the ushl counts as a junior league. However the numbers you put up are mitts college year. A good comparison as we can see Mitts didn't set the ncaa on fire. 

Yep. I think these are correct.

GP G A PTS

24 13 17 30

51 21 28 49

Casey had a little better scoring rate but comparable to Zemgus. It still tells us that Mitts might never be more than 3rd, 4th line player. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Read back in the thread, he has been aweful in Rochester.

His play has not been good but I personally shy away from using “awful” as a description only because he seems like a good kid. He tosses pucks over and acknowledges the children that have gathered at the boards to watch. Not a lot of guys in the A take the time to do that. Then you get the creepy ones like Bailey that tossed pucks and acknowledged the fans gathered if they were a group of pre teen girls. That always wigged me out....I’m willing to give Mitts a little time.

4 hours ago, woods-racer said:

JAG at the Rochester level is a good summation. 

Sadly he has a ways to go before he’s at the JAG level. I’m not saying he won’t get there this year but as an Amerks season ticket holder, I’m worried that he’s going to sink the ship. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

Sadly he has a ways to go before he’s at the JAG level. I’m not saying he won’t get there this year but as an Amerks season ticket holder, I’m worried that he’s going to sink the ship. 

I'm not too worried about him sinking the ship. I think his being sent down sends a message to the others....work hard or this could be you!!!

I don't think Tails will put up with him for long and will bench him if he feels it's necessary.

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Casey's game is basically "pond hockey" and IMHO will not ever translate well in the NHL.  Trade him now while we might still be able to get a Nylander-type deal before his value erodes further.

I just saved this post for future reference. 

We’ll see what this just turned 21 developing professional hockey player does in the coming years of his development. Because saying his game “won’t translate well” sounds to me like you don’t expect him to have a career in the NHL, OR you expect him to plateau and be a bottom player/#13 depth guy. My expectations are of a solid middle Six guy in the NHL. It just may take him years to get there.

On 12/25/2019 at 9:56 PM, Skibum said:

It wasn't a dumb draft choice but he did not tear it up in the ushl. If compared to Kanes usdp year, Mitts is not on that level. If compared to Kane in his draft year in the ohl, its like comparing ville Lieno to jack eichel. 

His HS production was impressive but that gets taken with a grain of salt. I'd leave him in Rochester the rest of the season. 

18 hours ago, inkman said:

Yep. I think these are correct.

GP G A PTS

24 13 17 30

51 21 28 49

Casey had a little better scoring rate but comparable to Zemgus. It still tells us that Mitts might never be more than 3rd, 4th line player. 

Which was a concern at the draft but he looked like he had the skills to succeed. He hasn't grown and shouldn't have been signed after 1 college year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

It wasn't a dumb draft choice but he did not tear it up in the ushl. If compared to Kanes usdp year, Mitts is not on that level. If compared to Kane in his draft year in the ohl, its like comparing ville Lieno to jack eichel. 

His HS production was impressive but that gets taken with a grain of salt. I'd leave him in Rochester the rest of the season. 

Which was a concern at the draft but he looked like he had the skills to succeed. He hasn't grown and shouldn't have been signed after 1 college year.

Lessons in scouting 101

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

I'm still struggling to understand why he was rated so highly.  He looked like a 2nd round pick or later to me.  

World. Junior. Championship. 

A top tier institution in hockey who’s overrated significance has long jumped the shark. As did what they thought they could charge for tickets. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.