Casey Mittlestadt has been sent to Amerks

Brawndo

Meh ... I’m not gonna get worried about Mitts until he’s been in the AHL next season without a chance he gets called up because he’s plateaued that badly. Until then, I’ll just chalk it up to his development going much slower than I expected. He just turned 21. No need to have hard definitive negative opinions on the young man.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don’t think AHL provides ice time stats.

Given the player I saw prior to turning pro, I have to say I am surprised by his lack of development.

The thing about Casey that I noticed, alarmingly, right away is that he basically looks slow. Especially an issue because his game was predicated on exactly that pre NHL, he was able to create distance with speed while playing at the WJC, but amongst NHLers that attribute is non-existent. 

Sam for example never relied on speed and was able to adjust his game in the pros to suit his strengths much as he had in junior. 

Casey lost his speed advantage and now he’s unable to do much of anything. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Don’t think AHL provides ice time stats.

Given the player I saw prior to turning pro, I have to say I am surprised by his lack of development.

We got bamboozled. 

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Meh ... I’m not gonna get worried about Mitts until he’s been in the AHL next season without a chance he gets called up because he’s plateaued that badly. Until then, I’ll just chalk it up to his development going much slower than I expected. He just turned 21. No need to have hard definitive negative opinions on the young man.

The issue isn't that he hasn't become a star at 21, it's that he hasn't shown anything. He looks like a dud in every phase of the game. Even young players who aren't ready typically show flashes. Mitts hasn't, which is why I think being down on him is justifiable. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

The thing about Casey that I noticed, alarmingly, right away is that he basically looks slow. Especially an issue because his game was predicated on exactly that pre NHL, he was able to create distance with speed while playing at the WJC, but amongst NHLers that attribute is non-existent. 

Sam for example never relied on speed and was able to adjust his game in the pros to suit his strengths much as he had in junior. 

Casey lost his speed advantage and now he’s unable to do much of anything. 

Pretty much. He might still be able to develop other ways to be effective, but it's not happening anytime soon. Unless he really starts to perform in Rochester this season I'll go into the summer hoping for a Jokiharju-style trade. 

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

We got bamboozled. 

The issue isn't that he hasn't become a star at 21, it's that he hasn't shown anything. He looks like a dud in every phase of the game. Even young players who aren't ready typically show flashes. Mitts hasn't, which is why I think being down on him is justifiable. 

Pretty much. He might still be able to develop other ways to be effective, but it's not happening anytime soon. Unless he really starts to perform in Rochester this season I'll go into the summer hoping for a Jokiharju-style trade. 

He’s got the skill.

It’s looking more and more like he’s going to have to rebuild his game and find new ways to use it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

As between the following 2 outcomes, which do you think is more likely?

- Washout

- consistent 40-point NHL scorer

43 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm actually gonna buckle down on the take that mitts is supremely unskilled

Yes!  Minus his shootout moves, he offers nothing that a good NHL player does. I know this super smart dude that tweeted the same thing. 

Edited by inkman

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I think just hit the reset button with him.   He will need to bulk up and maybe he won't get the points in the AHL but they will be working on his physical side for sure.

Size isn't his issue. He's bigger than most guys on the ice. Conditioning is more likely a problem. He still has chubby cheeks. He's 6'1" 200+ lbs. By hockey standards, thanks stout. Most of those guys are beanpoles. He's more like a sack of marshmallows. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I think his problems are all between the ears. Low hockey IQ and attitude. Not knowing how to read plays and get into (or create) scoring chances and he's always had a cocky way about him.

I don't think Rochester is the answer and he needs a reality check being sent down to Cincy.

He's already taking a $900,000.00 pay cut. Give him a couple months.

I noticed his college highlights were him stick handling through the defense and then scoring goals, he tried that when he first arrived and got stuffed every single time in the NHL. I don't think he knows how to do anything else, that's why he looks lost and useless. He needs to reinvent himself, if he can. You would have thought after a year and a half of NHL coaching him up and showing his pros and cons on film he would learn how to do other things to become a useful piece to the puzzle, apparently not.  Time to move on.

35 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I think his problems are all between the ears. Low hockey IQ and attitude. Not knowing how to read plays and get into (or create) scoring chances and he's always had a cocky way about him.

I don't think Rochester is the answer and he needs a reality check being sent down to Cincy.

I think we are too quick in general to throw the low hockey IQ label on players.  I do suspect that it is much more about attitude/commitment however.  As Ink and others allude to, he doesn’t have a modern hockey physique.  Phil Kessel can get away with it because he has HOF talent.  Mitts, not so much.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

He's sitting in Roch thinking that just one injury and we need to call him up. Let him play in Cincy and earn his way to Roch. So far there's no evidence that he's even taking the move to Roch seriously. 

I think his problems aren’t going to be readily worked on in-season in Roc, Cincy, or anywhere else. We’re not going to see improvement over the course of this season. I think he’s going to have to commit like never before in the offseason.  Not just conditioning, but skills development as well.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I think his problems aren’t going to be readily worked on in-season in Roc, Cincy, or anywhere else. We’re not going to see improvement over the course of this season. I think he’s going to have to commit like never before in the offseason.  Not just conditioning, but skills development as well.

If anyone can right the Mitts ship, it's Tails. He did make Nylander serviceable enough to get us a top 6 D.  I think with the AHL schedule, he'll be able to spend 4 days a week working out and the off days working on his game. All that being said, I'm not sure I see a skill set that translates to a NHL player. His forte is stick handling (I guess?).  NHL players are having an easy time diagnosing his moves and keeping up with him.  Perhaps conditioning and refinement can make the difference but I'm not holding out any hope. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.