Casey Mittlestadt has been sent to Amerks

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dear Sabrespace,

Casey just turned 21.  The rookie this board, VO, is fawning over is 24. To call this kid Jay Gage is bull crap. To dump on a kid because management missed used him for 2 seasons is simply wrong.  Time to let this kid mature and show some patience.

I didn’t call him Jody Gage. I said lighting up the AHL will prove nothing.

Give me examples of guys who struggled in NHL, got sent down and half a season later became a legit top 6 forward. 

If Casey, becomes a top 6 NHL guy it will be because he needed to get bigger and older and wasn’t ready.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, tom webster said:

And lighting up the AHIL will only prove  he can be Jody Gage. 

Perhaps, but failing to do so would be a very good indicator that he can't cut the mustard as an NHL scoring forward.

Do you have examples of scoring forwards who performed poorly in extensive AHL action but nevertheless became good at the NHL level?

16 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I didn’t call him Jody Gage. I said lighting up the AHL will prove nothing.

Give me examples of guys who struggled in NHL, got sent down and half a season later became a legit top 6 forward. 

If Casey, becomes a top 6 NHL guy it will be because he needed to get bigger and older and wasn’t ready.

There are plenty of very good NHL players who spent a good amount of time in the A.

Briere bounced back and forth from the A to the NHL before finding his game and becoming a great NHL center.

Marchand played 1.5 seasons in the A before becoming an NHL regular at age 22.

JT Miller was #15 overall and bounced back and forth for 2 seasons before sticking.

Pacioretty bounced back and forth for 3 seasons.

Your last sentence, and IIRC some prior posts, indicate that you think the AHL is essentially useless as a developmental tool.  That may be true for some guys but I don't think it's true for most.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the right decision.

It is painful to watch a #8 pick waste his time in the NHL. There should not be a timeline to come back. It should be based on merit, go to Rochester, get some confidence and become the best player on that team.

I hope he is willing to put in the work. He has had a long taste of the show, how badly does he want it?

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Perhaps, but failing to do so would be a very good indicator that he can't cut the mustard as an NHL scoring forward.

Do you have examples of scoring forwards who performed poorly in extensive AHL action but nevertheless became good at the NHL level?

There are plenty of very good NHL players who spent a good amount of time in the A.

Briere bounced back and forth from the A to the NHL before finding his game and becoming a great NHL center.

JT Miller was #15 overall and bounced back and forth for 2 seasons before sticking.

Your last sentence, and IIRC some prior posts, indicate that you think the AHL is essentially useless as a developmental tool.  That may be true for some guys but I don't think it's true for most.

Thank you.  Derek Roy as well.  On defense Brian Campbell.  Joker got sent down last season after making the team in Chi and now is a top 4 type D for us.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Great move, it's about time.   

JBott has worked with a lot of college kids in the past.  I look at his time with Pitt and how they let Guentzel and Rust come out of college after 3-4 years and then still play a couple of years with Scranton before they moved up to the NHL.  I would let Casey play the rest of this year with Thompson in Roch. and get PP time and learn to play on both ends.  

This will also help Buffalo keep both of their contracts at low numbers for the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Go to the Rochester system, young Casey. Do what must be done. Do not hesitate; show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough to be a surprise speed addition to our playoff lineup...

(if we last longer than Rochester in said playoffs this season).

Uhhhhhmmmmm. Didn’t he become a quadruple amputee after that speech?

(fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to mentioning the last two years of failure which leads to a Jedi slap in the back of the head)(jk)

At the very least BCA is gonna sell the hell out of some tickets for a game or two.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It’s all anecdote. There’s no proof that they got better because of their time in the AHL. They got better and they got older and bigger. That’s the only definite thing anyone can say.

https://theathletic.com/1459319/2019/12/14/as-casey-mittelstadt-struggles-at-the-nhl-level-many-of-his-2017-draft-peers-are-still-waiting-to-get-there/

Henri Jokiharju would have loved to stay in the NHL all last season. Why wouldn’t he? But in January, after 37 games with Chicago, the Blackhawks sent him to the American Hockey League.

Looking back, what does he think of that move?

“It was really good for me in the end,” Jokiharju said. “It helped me a lot.”

The demotion was simply a step in his development, something that’s helped him become one of only two Sabres defensemen to skate in every game this season. He got more minutes in the AHL, played a bigger role and put up confidence-building numbers.

Of course, there’s a certain status that comes with being a high pick. Mittelstadt was drafted eighth overall. Sending down a top prospect could equate to failure. Except:

Of the 31 first-round picks, 15 are in the NHL.

The other 16 are in the AHL.

FYI: The forward drafted one slot ahead of Mitts is also in the AHL.  Only 23 of the 2017 players are in the NHL.  70 (w Mitts being sent down) in the AHL and another 86 in Europe or College.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/1459319/2019/12/14/as-casey-mittelstadt-struggles-at-the-nhl-level-many-of-his-2017-draft-peers-are-still-waiting-to-get-there/

FYI: The forward drafted one slot ahead of Mitts is also in the AHL.  Only 23 of the 2017 players are in the NHL.  70 (w Mitts being sent down) in the AHL and another 86 in Europe or College.

So joker was sent to the AHL to further his development. And he thought it was good for him to go down and develop more. Well isn’t that interesting ... 

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Glad Casey was sent to the A... yes many here have said he needed it.... but now more than ever, his confidence is shot and he needs to learn how show more grit and tenacity with all his skills.  When he does, he will be back up...

Yep… He has the skills… That’s obvious. He just needs to gain confidence like you said and also gain experience and develop more for the pro leagues. The AHL should give him that if he‘s handled correctly in Roch. 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dear Sabrespace,

Casey just turned 21.  The rookie this board, VO, is fawning over is 24. To call this kid Jay Gage is bull crap. To dump on a kid because management missed used him for 2 seasons is simply wrong.  Time to let this kid mature and show some patience.

Totally agree. i think this kid just simply lost his confidence. He had too much of it entering the league, and if it's true that his agent (or him) demanded he not go to Rochester, then he made a big egotistical mistake and management blew it by agreeing to it. 

If he now gets his head screwed on right, gets good coaching and listens to it, he has plenty of time to develop into a solid player. It all depends on how he deals with it and how he develops his work ethic. Up to him, I still see the raw potential and elements of talent that are there. 

Overall it's a sign we are heading in the right direction as an organization. 

Let's see where Casey is in October next year. If there isn't improvement, then I will begin to worry. Last year he performed almost in line with his expected points. The issue is this year he clearly stagnated. Personally I think last year he should have gone down but at least now he is in Rochester where he belongs instead of getting 9-11min a night in Buffalo accomplishing nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ogre said:

Uhhhhhmmmmm. Didn’t he become a quadruple amputee after that speech?

(fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to mentioning the last two years of failure which leads to a Jedi slap in the back of the head)(jk)

At the very least BCA is gonna sell the hell out of some tickets for a game or two.

Well, yes. But he did get "evil" enough to change his eye color. Miitts will help the Amerks, and he shouldn't be back with the Sabres until he can hold his own along the boards. In the meantime, the one skill of his the Sabres could miss is the shootout skill (if they could get through an overtime).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.