Who is the better hockey player, Matthews or Eichel?

LGR4GM

Matthews eichel   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

• Eichel, Jack
    • Matthews, Auston

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He has done a lot more than any of them on that list, but right now I am not sure where I would put Crosby.  He is 32 and starting is hurt more often.  Age is starting to catch up to him.

Last 6 seasons games played:  80, 77, 80, 75, 82, 79.  He missed ~10 early this year, but he doesn’t have an injury problem.

Last 6 seasons points:  104, 84, 85, 89, 89, 100

Last 6 seasons Selke voting finish: 18th, 19th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 4th

After McDavid it’s tight but I think Crosby is still right there with MacKinnon and almost certainly ahead of Eichel.  Matthews is not close.

Edited by Curt

46 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Not sure.  I just don't see him as being as much of a factor as he used to be.  This is just my uneducated observation.  It doesn't help that he's been out with an injury for over a month.

Yes, I agree.  Over the past month he hasn’t been elite.

• Haha (+1) 2

MacKinnon vs Eichel in pts per game 

year 1 Mac - .77 ; Jack .69

year 2 Mac .59; Jack .93

year 3 Mac .72; Jack .96

year 4 Mac . 65; Jack 1.07

Year 5 Mac 1.31; Jack (so far) 1.41

Mac through 5 years 374 gp 114g 189a  303pts or .81p/gp and .31 g/gp

For his career 6.5 years 489gp 175g 278a 453 pts or .93p/gp and .36g/gp

Jack through 4.5 years 320 gp 124g 183a 307 pts or .96p/gp and .39g/gp

I’ll take Jack.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I’ve been hard on a Eichel this year because he seemed mopey to me (tho understandable).  He seems to have stepped up and matured a bit during the season.

Jack is the best passer I’ve ever seen - he knows where everyone is at all times, he has a “six sense” for the game that only the great ones possess.  He’s unselfish with the puck to a fault.  He’s also ox strong with the puck.

Matthews seems to me like a natural scorer but lacks mental toughness and needs a structure around him in order to thrive.  

I’m happy with the one we’ve got.

To the 3 people who voted for Matthews please explain why?

Is he a faster skater? Is he a better playmaker? Is he better in his own zone? Is he a better goal scorer? I’ll grant that he is better in the faceoff circle.

So far this season Jack has more goals, more assists, thus more points.  His plus/minus is better, he has more GWG, they are even in blocks, and Jack has more hits. Jack also has more PPG and leads the NHL with 17 even strength goals (Matthews has 14).

36 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

To the 3 people who voted for Matthews please explain why?

Is he a faster skater? Is he a better playmaker? Is he better in his own zone? Is he a better goal scorer? I’ll grant that he is better in the faceoff circle.

So far this season Jack has more goals, more assists, thus more points.  His plus/minus is better, he has more GWG, they are even in blocks, and Jack has more hits. Jack also has more PPG and leads the NHL with 17 even strength goals (Matthews has 14).

I'd like to see a few more years of this before you can definitively say Eichel is better. The fact that Matthews is 'slumping' at 1 PPG still means one helluva hockey player. I think it's more likely that Matthews improves on his PPG than Eichel is to keep his torrid pace up.  

• Like (+1) 1

It’s going to be on the shoulders of the John Tavares line and the defence pair of Jake Muzzin and Justin Holl to help contain Eichel and linemates Victor Olofsson and Sam Reinhart.

“We trust our team structure and our team defensive play to play against anybody, but most often you’ll see the Tavares group with (Eichel’s line),” Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe said after a team meeting, eschewing a morning skate.

Clearly the Leafs don’t trust the Stache out against Jack...?

58 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

I'd like to see a few more years of this before you can definitively say Eichel is better. The fact that Matthews is 'slumping' at 1 PPG still means one helluva hockey player. I think it's more likely that Matthews improves on his PPG than Eichel is to keep his torrid pace up.  

Ok but what makes him a better player?

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ok but what makes him a better player?

Well, until this year, Mathews has been a better goalscorer.  He's also played better at best-on-best tournaments.

Right now, Jack is ahead, but there are quite a few chapters to be written. 

Hopefully, these 2 stars and teams will be blood rivals and cup contenders for the next 10 years.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, until this year, Mathews has been a better goalscorer.  He's also played better at best-on-best tournaments.

Hopefully, these 2 stars and teams will be blood rivals and cup contenders for the next 10 years.

Better goal scorer sure (now more maybe), but not a better passer, skater, 2 way player, or playmaker.  Being a one trick pony makes him a star, but not a better player.  He is a younger and better Skinner.  He'll never be in the Kucherov, Kane, MacKinnon, Crosby, McDavid, Draisiatl or even Barkov debate as an elite all around player. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What, the world juniors? I guess, ya. Matthews had 14 points in 12 games, Eichel had 9 in 10. So, a roughly 11 points in 12 games equivalent. 

It’s 3 points and a tiny sample size. Mittelstadt has a better WJC ppg than Matthews. 

Please don’t mention the Team North America gimmick. 

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who would you rather have Reinhart or Draisaitl?  Be honest.

Draisaitl 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What, the world juniors? I guess, ya. Matthews had 14 points in 12 games, Eichel had 9 in 10. So, a roughly 11 points in 14 games equivalent. 

It’s 3 points and a tiny sample size. Mittelstadt has a better WJC ppg than Matthews. 

Please don’t mention the Team North America gimmick. 

Draisaitl 

Darcy had that choice and missed. Sam is a fine player, but Jack with Leon would be an even better combo then Jack and Sam.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.