Who is the better hockey player, Matthews or Eichel?

LGR4GM

Matthews eichel   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

• Eichel, Jack
    • Matthews, Auston

Eichel is a better player, Matthews a better pure goal scorer although Eichel is now 2nd in the NHL to Pastarnak in goals. That goal he scored today was an elite play to be in close and quickly flip the puck up into corner of the net with a defensive player and goalie there.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

The last 2-3 years I would have said Matthews, this year Jack's lightbulb just went off or he just decided he's sick of losing and he's taken this team on his back and he is playing at a different level than before. Right now his all around game and scoring acumen to boot puts Jack as the man in this poll. In fact there's most likely not many on one hand you'd give the vote to over him right now. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Eichel is a better player, Matthews a better pure goal scorer although Eichel is now 2nd in the NHL to Pastarnak in goals. That goal he scored today was an elite play to be in close and quickly flip the puck up into corner of the net with a defensive player and goalie there.

10 minutes ago, jsb said:

The last 2-3 years I would have said Matthews, this year Jack's lightbulb just went off or he just decided he's sick of losing and he's taken this team on his back and he is playing at a different level than before. Right now his all around game and scoring acumen to boot puts Jack as the man in this poll. In fact there's most likely not many on one hand you'd give the vote to over him right now. 

I'm not biased, agree with both these posts, JE is clearly the bigger impact guy at this juncture.

Might just be me, but over the years, I have generally seen this ...

I won't notice Matthews for most of the game, then he'll suddenly have the puck and put it in the net in an exciting/impressive way.  Sometimes twice.

I will notice Jack all game, for good and bad, part of which is usually him scoring and setting up goals.

This year, Jack's good have become far more frequent than his bad, as has his scoring.

Edited by carpandean
  • Like (+1) 2

1. Eichel has the ability to drag teammates with him. No way Sam and VO have the stats they do without him.

2. He also commands respect from opposition defense. We all see how they give him room most of the time so as not to get turned inside out. 

3. He is deceptively strong. Watch him when he gets pinned against the boards or when dmen lean on him. 

4. He is starting to lead off the ice. Best (only one I can think of) example was when Dahlin had to sit and Jack gave him the pep talk. 

5. He is becoming more and more defensively aware. Backchecking and providing competent coverage are becoming a natural part of his game.

Matthews will be remembered like Ovi, a one trick pony. Eichel, like Crosby in that he does more for the team than himself. 

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 3

Jack is blossoming into super star, elite, level 

He is in the class of the top 4 with McDavid, McKinnon, and Mathews.  He is past Mathews as an overall player and he does more with less.  He is on a trajectory to #2, which is where McKinnon is now. 

awesome buffalo sabres GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

The command and respect when the puck is on this man’s stick is unrivaled.  Matthews has a lethal shot but I have never seen him drive play like Eichel.  I completely agree with Thorny’s top 3 and I suspect that is how this year will wrap up.  Jack could even be in the #2 spot.

Edited by Beer
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.