GDT: Sabres @ Islanders 12/14/19 1:00 PM EST

Wyldnwoody44

8 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

I am because he is the best man.  If you give him a pass for play like that it sets a bad example.

Agree.  I'm not giving him a pass. What player doesn't make a bad play at times. Wayne the Great even did. I doubt there is any messages to be sent here at all.

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

One of the best parts about being in the hunt is that we can actually take the loser point as a reasonable silver lining, something that has real meaning. 

I don't think today's game was a loser point.  They worked hard for it.  I'm proud of the boys.

I think we're saying the same thing, right?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I have two leagues for some of you guys: NBA and NFL. Whistles and flags. Fun wow. The Sabres got a late power play and stole a point.

The nfl is approaching unwatchable. Every play I just wait to see if there's a flag. 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Need a better G.  Sam was fine.

I like Sam, and he played a decent game, but that flubbed pass in OT was terrible from him. 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Sam did not impress  me today. 

9, 26, and 55 did.  

Agree.   And the bold is why I can take something positive out of a tie.  Dahlin had a great game.   Physical early.  Moved the puck great when working 5v5 with Jacks line, and had two great saves at the blue line to keep the puck inside on the PP that tied the game.  If I can have that Rasmus every game signed me up.

Oh and the future of the Islanders organization took a stupid penalty with under 4 to play while the future of the Buffalo Sabers tied the game in the final minute, and outside one poor pass had another solid game.   How many times was a brilliant game followed up by something less than acceptable? Now he brings it every night (or day).

bring it on burn GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

One of the best parts about being in the hunt is that we can actually take the loser point as a reasonable silver lining, something that has real meaning. 

They really earned that point.

And in a perfect world they got the tie point and the game would have ended that way.  Both teams with a point.

• Like (+1) 1

Jack got tackled no call, Dahlin high sticked in the helmet no call, Jack grabbed right before OT winner no call... home town ref was awful... still Sabres fought hard and need to figure ways to push through those lack of calls.  Isle got away with inordinate amount of clutch and grabbing especially in the third.... Playoffs gonna be a lot like that...

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, Nitro60 said:

Insult to start a point?  Not today.  It is hockey whether we like it or not.  You have to play it smart and win.

No insult intended.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The nfl is approaching unwatchable. Every play I just wait to see if there's a flag. 

There are multiple posters who want 12-15 power plays a game for the Sabres.

Very good game IMHO.  The Isles are really good and the Sabres played them very well -- much better than the previous game this season vs the Isles in Buffalo.  A few game notes:

- In addition to being quite stupid and almost costing his team a win, Barzal's hit on Dahlin was really dirty and suspension-worthy IMHO.

- As others have noted, Dahlin looked great and made a big difference on the PP. 

- I also really liked Montour's game in particular and thought the D overall was quite solid.

- Great GTG by Jack and great one-timer by VO.

- That's the 2nd game in a row with an early misplay by Linus to surrender a goal.

- Worst game by Skinner in a while.  11:29 of ice time and zero shots.  In fairness to him, I don't think MoJo has been the same since his injury, and Skinner also had a bunch of his shifts with ERod and Sheary (both of whom were also invisible).

- I was hoping we'd see Eichel-VO-Dahlin to start OT, then Skinner-Reino-Risto.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Tondas said:

I don't think today's game was a loser point.  They worked hard for it.  I'm proud of the boys.

I think we're saying the same thing, right?

I’ve had people before take issue with the phrasing. It’s the point given to the losing team. Ie - a loser point. 

I’m not saying it’s a point that goes to a “bunch of losers” or something... Was simply stating that these individual points ACTUALLY MATTER now considering our place in the standings. They were rather irrelevant while we were sitting at the bottom of the standings. 

- - - 

Sabres are 10-3-3 at home 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

- That's the 2nd game in a row with an early misplay by Linus to surrender a goal.

Forgot about that. We really should have won. Though maybe it’s tied and we don’t pull the goalie and score at the end so...

Either way, I was very pleased with their effort against a PHYSICAL, tough team to play against. 

- - - 

Jack is only going to get more attention as he scores more, Botterill should definitely, definitely still be looking to add a top 6 forward to help take the load off and account for that. So that he doesn’t get worn down from having to carry things all season. 

Especially with us needing one anyways. This can be a playoff team. 

- - - 

Sabres actually move up into 7th in points % in the conference with today’s result. 

Edited by Thorny

• SDS unpinned this topic
10 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’m not saying it’s a point that goes to a “bunch of losers” or something... Was simply stating that these individual points ACTUALLY MATTER now considering our place in the standings. They were rather irrelevant while we were sitting at the bottom of the standings. 

Say what you want about whether there should be a point for a team that loses in OT/SO, that point has benefited the Sabres in their last 10.  It's the difference between being a .500 team and getting 70% of the points available to them.

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

Jack is only going to get more attention as he scores more, Botterill should definitely, definitely still be looking to add a top 6 forward to help take the load off and account for that. So that he doesn’t get worn down from having to carry things all season. 

We have four legit top 6 forwards, two of whom are scoring at an ideal pace. The other two, Skinner and Samson, need to pick up their games. That would help.

I think you can be more specific here; what we need is a second line Eichel equivalent.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ... said:

We have four legit top 6 forwards, two of whom are scoring at an ideal pace. The other two, Skinner and Samson, need to pick up their games. That would help.

I think you can be more specific here; what we need is a second line Eichel equivalent.

We have 2 legit line that need to stick together:

Jack/VO/Sam and GLO

They moved Jeff with Mojo and Vesey on the third, I'd try keeping that going for awhile, It should work because it has an initiator a distributor and a finisher.

The remainder of Asplundh, Sheary, Mitts and Erod needs to be figured out and modified. Asp has earned his PT, Sheary...I don't know what he is right now- he should be and initiator but he's not, Same with ERod, Mitts should be an offensive threat..if not he's out. I'd really like to add a guy or 2 to this group. Still like the buy low on Josh Anderson idea myself.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.