GDT: Sabres @ Islanders 12/14/19 1:00 PM EST

Wyldnwoody44

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

@New Scotland (NS) With all this rump talk, there's a line I can't quite nail down. Margaret was worried that she was gaining weight. Hawkeye agreed and said something about when she walks away from someone it looks like two something or others wrestling in a handbag. Help.

Not sure of that one, but when they were getting flu shots (I think, or some sort of needles) Hawkeye injected Margaret in the arm and he insisted that she do him in the fleshy part ... the back of his front.  At the most glorious moment Radar walked in and turned around real quick saying he was sorry then Margaret jabbed Hawkeye real hard.

Will that do ... 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Exactly. And this is how it will be going forward because we have no other players that can consistently contribute at an elite level. We will live and die with Eichel. 

That’s not really how hockey usually works though.  It takes a whole team.  Individual players rarely can “carry” their team.  Just look at the Islanders, among many others, as an example of this.

4 minutes ago, jad1 said:

I'm not going to blame a loss on the refs, but there's a longer term concern here.

Dahlin has taken an elbow to the head in two of his last three games.  Reinhart took a cross check face first into the boards.  Eichel was taken down from behind in the corner.

The Islanders play to the edge because the odds of the refs calling a penalty on a dirty play is 50/50, and probably less at the end of the game.

Is it the goal of this garage league to have its stars knocked out of games by cheap shots? At some time player safety has to be a priority, right?

Most of the games are officiated evenly, this one was not. 

As far as officials and the league protecting star players, or any players  - THEY DO NOT.  Besides what good is a suspension to an opposing player if Dahlin gets another concussion?  

The other deterrent is to have the players take care of it.  We have discussed that at length here. 

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

Surprised some posters think Eichel was the only good player today. We played a very good game against a tough opponent in their barn. Guess some have to be negative.

There were a lot of good players, but for whatever reason, there are several players on the roster who aren't scoring.  The effort is there, but without Eichel's streak, this team is probably 2-8 over the last 10.

This is where Botterill needs to make a move.  The team is playing hard, but needs more offensive production.  A legit 2C snaps a lot of players on the roster into the right place.

Ultimately, Cozens will be that guy, but he's a season or two away.  Botterill owes it to this current roster to make a deal.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You have to be kidding.  He was mugged all day, especially in OT.  Without Eichel we lose 2-0 or worse. 

No.  Yes they got away with murder in the game.  In OT he had room to skate and move.  Those were two bad give aways.  Sam was covered.  Options were to cut to the middle and shoot or the wiser was to bring the puck back and get a line change.  

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

As far as officials and the league protecting star players, or any players  - THEY DO NOT.  Besides what good is a suspension to an opposing player if Dahlin gets another concussion?  

The other deterrent is to have the players take care of it.  We have discussed that at length here. 

Yes, the officiating was crap today...I hope there is still some review of Barzal's penalty though....I think it deserves a hearing.....but to your point, probably won't happen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

No.  Yes they got away with murder in the game.  In OT he had room to skate and move.  Those were two bad give aways.  Sam was covered.  Options were to cut to the middle and shoot or the wiser was to bring the puck back and get a line change.  

Join me in the sane room. Don't analyze three on three too much, maybe don't even analyze it at all. It's not really hockey.

I don't think I've ever been so psyched after a "loss."

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Since they have removed the enforcers from the NHL some guys take liberties at the expense of others health with no on ice punishment.  

Just now, Nitro60 said:

I am because he is the best man.  If you give him a pass for play like that it sets a bad example.

It’s 3v3 pond hockey, designed to be chaotic. Those plays happen all the time, would be nothing at 5v5. Like Duff said on the post game, generally the goals come off superstar player sticks one way, or the other, in 3 v 3 because they always have it 

3 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

Says the poster who likes to quote General Patton.  Jack was attacking as best he could and he ran out of steam.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Join me in the sane room. Don't analyze three on three too much, maybe don't even analyze it at all. It's not really hockey.

I don't think I've ever been so psyched after a "loss."

Insult to start a point?  Not today.  It is hockey whether we like it or not.  You have to play it smart and win.

2 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Had a prior engagement so only caught the last period and OT. How did Dahlin play, he looked back to his old (young) self from the brief glimpse I had.

Dahlin played great today.  From a grit standpoint, it was his best game of the year.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.