Cool remembrance of the Aud

PASabreFan

LA Kings broadcaster's, uh, fond? memories of the Aud, including a description of working in a secondary "press box" and one unforgettable snowstorm.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/11/06/there-used-to-be-an-arena-–-“the-aud”-buffalo-new-york/

Edited by PASabreFan

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He messed up the attendance, which was  16,433 for a long  time. 

Pretty good read.  The Aud was not a fun stop for visiting teams because it likely lacked nice amenities, and also the Sabres home record was usually very good.  

It wasn't 16,433 until the fall of 1975, per Wikipedia and the Sabres media guide. I thought he had it wrong too. I'll delve into it more tomorrow.

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

LA Kings broadcaster's, uh, fond? memories of the Aud, including a description of working in a secondary "press box" and one unforgettable snowstorm.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/11/06/there-used-to-be-an-arena-–-“the-aud”-buffalo-new-york/

I was at that game in 82. Went with a friend and his dad. He had great seats to begin with but when only about 2,000 showed up, they let you sit wherever you wanted and they were giving food away. We managed to make it home that night back to Cheektowaga. Cool night.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

For the record, I remember them adding seats when walls were removed. Don’t know what the five seats were but I vaguely recall them having to add handi cap accessible seats so that may have been it. A friend thinks it had to do with them testing out what they planned to do when walls were removed. Not sure but you do have to remember that those tickets were worth gold back then.

Wikipedia's Aud page has capacity at:

10,449 — First season

15,360 — Second season (after reno)

15,668 — Third season

15,858 — Fourth season

15,863 — Fifth season

16,433 — Sixth season (gold seats added per tom's memory)

16,325 — After 1990 reno which added handicap-accessible seating

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Wikipedia's Aud page has capacity at:

10,449 — First season

15,360 — Second season (after reno)

15,668 — Third season

15,858 — Fourth season

15,863 — Fifth season

16,433 — Sixth season (gold seats added per tom's memory)

16,325 — After 1990 reno which added handicap-accessible seating

Nice work. Still the mystery remains, why those five seats.

And what about the model suite they added at the end? That had to effect capacity.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.