The GLO Line: Girgs, Larsson, Okposo

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

So how much should a team pay for a 4th line, in your opinion?

ideally in a perfect world ...

4th line ... 10-12% of the cap

3rd line ... 15-17% of the cap

2nd line ... 22-24%  of the cap

1st line ... 28-30% of the cap

goalies ... 15-17% of the cap

sonewhere in those ranges.

1st thru 3rd lines include dmen lines.

edit: amended goalies %

Edited by Zamboni

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

ideally in a perfect world ...

4th line ... 10-12% of the cap

3rd line ... 15-17% of the cap

2nd line ... 22-24%  of the cap

1st line ... 28-30% of the cap

goalies ... 20-22% of the cap

sonewhere in those ranges.

I think the league will be trending toward doubling the top two lines and halving the bottom two. 

Edited by inkman

16 hours ago, tom webster said:

Larsson and Girgs are the kind of guys that Boston keeps. Now that they have accepted their roles, they are valuable pieces and still relatively young.

except Kuraley makes 1.275 million, Wagner is signed longer term with a top number of 1.325 million . Ritchie and Nordstrom are even lower. You cant' pay 4th line guys and pay top line guys or you are toast. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

except Kuraley makes 1.275 million, Wagner is signed longer term with a top number of 1.325 million . Ritchie and Nordstrom are even lower. You cant' pay 4th line guys and pay top line guys or you are toast. 

Except the LOG line isn't getting 4th line minutes 

12 hours ago, inkman said:

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon but this GLO line crap has to go.  Are they pregnant?  Why are they glo-ing?  Or are they just fabulous, not that there is anything wrong with that.  Can we at least pretend this is a tough game played by tough guys doing extraordinary things or do we just want to picture them glo-ing like unicorns on rainbows.  I don't get it.  

I would go with you being an old curmudgeon. And for what it's worth.. when Eichel scores people post a cat riding a unicorn with a rainbow... so.. I guess it's okay.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Its about expectations. Just saying theres the expectation that if you're a 1st round pick in any major sport, youre expected to be a top tier player, not a 3rd running back or 12th forward in the NHL. And thats true, there is that expectation. But it doesn't always pan out that way in the NHL & thats not to say that player can't go on to have a solid career. But if you were drafted 14th like Girgensons, or 8th like Mittelstadt, there was an expectation that you could turn out to be something more than say a 4th line player or a healthy scratch.

Whole thing with hockey is that theres so many variables to a players development. Often a players draft position detracts from who they are. And its not like the players get to choose where they get drafted. If we drafted Girgensons at 14 & he's forever a 4th line player, then that was our mistake drafting him too high, because you hope for more than that with the premium that 1st round picks have. But that doesn't mean he can't be a solid player for you.

The nhl should draft players at 19. Or even 20 with really good players requiring an exemption to go in early. It will never happen. 

15 hours ago, inkman said:

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon but this GLO line crap has to go.  Are they pregnant?  Why are they glo-ing?  Or are they just fabulous, not that there is anything wrong with that.  Can we at least pretend this is a tough game played by tough guys doing extraordinary things or do we just want to picture them glo-ing like unicorns on rainbows.  I don't get it.  

There's a lot wrong with this projected form of masculinity. 

Edited by LGR4GM

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The nhl should draft players at 19. Or even 20 with really good players requiring an exemption to go in early. It will never happen. 

That only helps the GM’s by making their job easier while preventing the players who are good enough at 18-19-20 from earning a wage.  No thank you.

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

That only helps the GM’s by making their job easier while preventing the players who are good enough at 18-19-20 from earning a wage.  No thank you.

The number of 18 year olds that are ready is what? 1 maybe 2 each year. Let's say 2. I think it would be worth it for the sport to keep 2 guys out of the league at 18 if it means you get to see another year of dev from everyone else. Also there could be an exception rule put in place. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The number of 18 year olds that are ready is what? 1 maybe 2 each year. Let's say 2. I think it would be worth it for the sport to keep 2 guys out of the league at 18 if it means you get to see another year of dev from everyone else. Also there could be an exception rule put in place. 

I just don’t see the benefit.  Who does it help?

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Scouts, players, chl, ncaa. Basically everyone I think

Could you be more specific?  How will scouts/players benefit?  Will they make more money?  Will their lives be better?

NCAA and CHL would benefit.  I think you are right.  They would have more star players in their leagues and probably make more money for it.  However, I’m much less concerned about which companies are making the money than I am about the lives of the people involved.

More accurate player evaluation does not actually benefit anyone, in the big picture.  It will help/hurt certain teams every year, but not always the same ones.

On 12/14/2019 at 5:35 AM, inkman said:

Except the LOG line isn't getting 4th line minutes 

but they should be and in the future will be. If you pay them like a 2nd line and expect that to carry you as one you're not a very good team.  

We're going to regret that Skinner contract for years to come. If we overpay 4th line players who are replaceable we will be cellar dwellers forever. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.