Practice Report: 12-11-2019

WildCard

But but but I thought the AHL doesn’t develop players. Or is it, the AHL isn’t a developmental league for the NHL. Or is it, it only counts if the player was drafted high (or is it low), but went to the AHL for “conditioning”.
I’d hate to see Mitts go to Roch, but perhaps that is the right thing. He can safely go down without a waiver issue, right?

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

But but but I thought the AHL doesn’t develop players. Or is it, the AHL isn’t a developmental league for the NHL. Or is it, it only counts if the player was drafted high (or is it low), but went to the AHL for “conditioning”.
I’d hate to see Mitts go to Roch, but perhaps that is the right thing. He can safely go down without a waiver issue, right?

It is confusing, isn't it? There are conflicting opinions, and if memory serves, conflicting interpretations of data, on whether time spent in the AHL is worthwhile.

Frankly, I see moving Mitts in particular to the AHL doing two things: freeing up a roster spot for a player who will contribute more and giving him a chance to raise his trade value.

A die by the Blade article regarding Casey.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/12/11/21011582/the-buffalo-sabres-should-send-casey-mittelstadt-to-ahl-rochester-americans

Are there any pitfalls to assigning Mittelstadt to Rochester? Not particularly, at least not as far as this writer is concerned. If the Sabres are going to continue to handle him as they have - scratching him, playing limited minutes and sometimes sitting him on the bench for nearly an entire period - he’d be much better off spending some time in the AHL. Send him down, see what he can do there for a few weeks, and then, if/when an NHL roster spot opens back up, bring him back up - when he’s earned the opportunity.

I agree with Mellissa's assessment here. Give him at least a couple weeks in Rochester and let the coaches spend a lot of time with him. Take it from there.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:51 AM, woods-racer said:

A die by the Blade article regarding Casey.

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2019/12/11/21011582/the-buffalo-sabres-should-send-casey-mittelstadt-to-ahl-rochester-americans

Are there any pitfalls to assigning Mittelstadt to Rochester? Not particularly, at least not as far as this writer is concerned. If the Sabres are going to continue to handle him as they have - scratching him, playing limited minutes and sometimes sitting him on the bench for nearly an entire period - he’d be much better off spending some time in the AHL. Send him down, see what he can do there for a few weeks, and then, if/when an NHL roster spot opens back up, bring him back up - when he’s earned the opportunity.

I agree with Mellissa's assessment here. Give him at least a couple weeks in Rochester and let the coaches spend a lot of time with him. Take it from there.

It would be better than what they've been doing with him the past 2 weeks.

But what IMHO would be something to try would be to put Skinner back with Johansson and probably Vesey.  So, Casey could be a wing on a true 4th line with Rodrigues &/or Sheary and ALSO take Skinner 's spot on the top PP unit in the high slot.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It would be better than what they've been doing with him the past 2 weeks.

But what IMHO would be something to try would be to put Skinner back with Johansson and probably Vesey.  So, Casey could be a wing on a true 4th line with Rodrigues &/or Sheary and ALSO take Skinner 's spot on the top PP unit in the high slot.

This makes sense to me.  That line would have to be incredibly sheltered though.  That's a tank year level line.

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

This makes sense to me.  That line would have to be incredibly sheltered though.  That's a tank year level line.

And, Eichel's getting well over 20 minutes.  Reinhart and Olofsson can probably handle close to that as can Skinner and Larsson.  Get Girgensons and Johansson 17-18 and Kruger likes Vesey so he gets that as well.  Then Okposo and that 4th line end up with maybe 8-10 minutes each including STs minutes.  Plus, TOTALLY lost Asplund out of this line up.  He's in there somewhere and might be able to keep Casey and E-Rod/Conor from being seriously funked.

They end up sheltered without even being sheltered.  The concern, as it has been with Ralph's high energy style is that the regulars  have nothing left in the tank after St. Patty's day.  But if Mittelstadt figures it out by then, he could get a bit more usage.  And Asplund could handle more ice too.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

And, Eichel's getting well over 20 minutes.  Reinhart and Olofsson can probably handle close to that as can Skinner and Larsson.  Get Girgensons and Johansson 17-18 and Kruger likes Vesey so he gets that as well.  Then Okposo and that 4th line end up with maybe 8-10 minutes each including STs minutes.  Plus, TOTALLY lost Asplund out of this line up.  He's in there somewhere and might be able to keep Casey and E-Rod/Conor from being seriously funked.

They end up sheltered without even being sheltered.  The concern, as it has been with Ralph's high energy style is that the regulars  have nothing left in the tank after St. Patty's day.  But if Mittelstadt figures it out by then, he could get a bit more usage.  And Asplund could handle more ice too.

I’m hoping Krueger’s Load Management In limiting practice time and forgoing morning skates will help as well

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.