Sabre UFAs: Who gets traded?

dudacek

Deadline trades  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these pending free agents would you trade at the deadline, assuming a fair return and the Sabres still being in the playoff race?

The Sabres have an abnormally high number of roster regulars who can walk as unrestricted free agents at the end of the year.

Assuming the team is out of the playoff race at the deadline, most of them will likely be shipped off for whatever we can get and guys like Asplund, Thompson and Pilut will fill their holes down the stretch while preparing for a role next year.

But what if the team is in a position where a playoff spot is still a possibility? Should Botterill still be in the mode of acquiring assets for players who may not fit into our long-term plans?

Or should he be hanging on to them in order to maximize our playoff chances?

Edited by dudacek

Sobotka ought too be on everyone's list simply because he's a non-factor if we are a playoff team.

Bogo is in my second spot to be moved, due to our depth at D.  I'd want Scandella around for the playoffs.  I'd want Bogo for the playoffs too, but admit he's not as effective as Scandella, and it is a position of depth, so he makes the list.

I'm only moving the rest if there is an upgrade involved.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Sobotka ought too be on everyone's list simply because he's a non-factor if we are a playoff team.

Bogo is in my second spot to be moved, due to our depth at D.  I'd want Scandella around for the playoffs.  I'd want Bogo for the playoffs too, but admit he's not as effective as Scandella, and it is a position of depth, so he makes the list.

I'm only moving the rest if there is an upgrade involved.

I disagree when it comes to Vlad. Left dot face-offs are essential to win in post season play.

Sobotka obviously.  And a fair return is anything at all.

Went with Bogosian and Sheary as well.  Can't see either bringing any more to Buffalo than what some other GM MIGHT be willing to offer for them.

Didn't go with Scandella, Vesey, nor the PKers from the 4th line as really can't see Botterill getting the same value from a trading partner as these guys bring to the current roster.

Especially if the Sabres are still in the playoffs race.

Sobie because I don’t see a job for him with Asplund up and Vessey playing better.  I don’t think there will be any takers though   

Bogo due to contract and only if we are out of the running.   He might be pretty valuable to a team looking for a 6/7 defenseman.  Can play with playoff grit too.  

Edited by Pimlach

First, this question is moot because, although we may technically be alive in a playoff race we will not make up the difference in a late season push and we will not make the playoffs, as we are not a character team that'll rise up in the latter part of the schedule. I'd be gobsmacked if we suddenly developed a spine (as a team) but reality says otherwise.

So, with that in mind I would try to resign anyone I wanted to keep and/or wanted to stay at a good price but  trade every single one of them for whatever prospects and picks I can get if they are still pending UFAs near or at the deadline. I'd tell the ones I still liked we'd be interested in resigning them in July and I'd move them to contenders for cup runs. Larsson is the most desirable on that list imo but nobody on that list is essential or irreplaceable and none of them are worth overpaying. 

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Why isn't there an "All of the Above" option?

?

Agree.  Do any of these guys have a job here next year?  None are producing near their contract cost except maybe Larsson.  

If I had to guess who might return, I'd list Vesey, Larsson and Scandella at the right price.  Both Scandella and Vesey would have to take a pay cut to stay.  The rest should be gone at any price.  If we remain in contention, I'd move guys (assuming someone wants our garbage) to help make other deadline deals that enhance the team,.  Otherwise we are probably stuck with said players until the end of the year.

I wonder if Botterill will move with this year or next year in mind. I’d try to do both.

For me, either Vesey or Sheary (But not both) goes if we are offered a 3rd regardless of playoff status. Same for Larry/Zemgus (though it is doubtful we get that offer). Asplund and Thompson slide into those holes without a significant drop off, IMO.

The defenders are a more curious case 

Dahlin Risto Montour McCabe Joki and Miller project as a serviceable group on paper, with Borgen and Pilut in the wings.

And Scandella and Bogo types are generally coveted for playoff runs and bring in picks in the 50-100 range.

But are we going to need to keep one or both of them because McCabe or Miller or Risto is moved in a hockey trade? I would.

If the Sabres are a bubble team at the deadline, I would not trade any of the pending UFAs.  Only a couple of them (probably Scandy and Bogo) might bring back a third-rounder or better, and that's only if they are playing well -- and if they are playing well, I don't want to subtract them from the lineup.  I want to make the freaking playoffs already.

42 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If the Sabres are a bubble team at the deadline, I would not trade any of the pending UFAs.  Only a couple of them (probably Scandy and Bogo) might bring back a third-rounder or better, and that's only if they are playing well -- and if they are playing well, I don't want to subtract them from the lineup.  I want to make the freaking playoffs already.

This is the tightrope all bubble teams have.  Do you add to try to make a run or do you subtract to gather assets to enhance in the off-season.  Ideally you do a little of both.  Pitt was always good at finding a guy who could help today and tomorrow.  The Chris Kunitz trade comes to mind.  Jbot had this in mind when he acquired Montour last season.  

I think if he can get a forward he wants with some control left (either an RFA or on a reasonable contract), I’d move on from Bogo or Scandy in the same deal or a separate deal even if they are playing ok.  Someone(s) need to go to get cap space for acquisitions.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.