• Risto
    • Any draft pick outside of round 1
    • A second or third round pick
    • Nothing higher than 4th rounder
    • Evan Rodrigues
    • Connor Sheary
    • Any prospect not named Cozens
    • Casey Mittlestadt

Bogo would make sense because of the contract and the injuries.  We will miss him in the locker room.  

McCabe is another option.  I think he has been lackluster this season and I feel we have seen his best.  I think Scandy has been the better of the two.  

• 1 month later...

I have always liked this guys talent and at times in Montreal he looked like he was becoming a star.  Now he was hit rock bottom with the Pens and they are dumping him for next to nothing according to Lebrun.  This seems like a perfect opportunity for Jbot and the Sabres.  

The guy has had 2 50 pt season and 3 40+ pts seasons.  He is 25.  He skates like the wind.  Attitude and back checking have been a problem in the past, but so has usage.  Given our injuries and our inability to create offense, I think he could find a home here.  He might benefit from RK's positive message.  He also plays all 3 forward position.  He is an UFA after and has a cap hit of 4.9.

IMHO send Sheary back to Pitt and take Galchenyuk off their hands.  We'd probably have to trade Erod for a bag of pucks to make the money work but so be it.  If he responds well to RK then we could have a Danny Briere type steal on our hands.  If not he walks at season's end.  Get him now Jbot.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have always liked this guys talent and at times in Montreal he looked like he was becoming a star.  Now he was hit rock bottom with the Pens and they are dumping him for next to nothing according to Lebrun.  This seems like a perfect opportunity for Jbot and the Sabres.  

The guy has had 2 50 pt season and 3 40+ pts seasons.  He is 25.  He skates like the wind.  Attitude and back checking have been a problem in the past, but so has usage.  Given our injuries and our inability to create offense, I think he could find a home here.  He might benefit from RK's positive message.  He also plays all 3 forward position.  He is an UFA after and has a cap hit of 4.9.

IMHO send Sheary back to Pitt and take Galchenyuk off their hands.  We'd probably have to trade Erod for a bag of pucks to make the money work but so be it.  If he responds well to RK then we could have a Danny Briere type steal on our hands.  If not he walks at season's end.  Get him now Jbot.

If Botterill could work out a deal for him that makes sense, would not mind kicking the tires on him.  Can't see them wanting Sheary back though.

And would still want a true 2nd liner brought in.  

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Merged!

Regarding the bolded:  I would do this in a heartbeat and would gladly include ERod, but I highly doubt Pittsburgh would accept that offer.

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh sure, perfect Sabre. Another guy who quits, takes shifts off, and isn't a team player. Perfect fit. Let's offer up a 1st rounder.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2019/12/10/Penguins-Canadiens-Alex-Galchenyuk-Mike-Sullivan-John-Marino-Phil-Kessel/stories/201912100151

I don’t your comments are accurate. He has defensive issues, but his work ethic isn’t an issue.  He needs a team that needs his skill up front and he needs a coach to bring him along properly.  I think that is RK.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I would guess that Pittsburgh wants a bottom-6 forward who is not a FA after this season -- so that rules out most of the Sabres' bottom 6.

Where in the Lebrun quote does it say that? Isn’t it more likely they are looking for a cap dump for the rest of this season?  Why would they care if the asset they get back is lockup up? 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think we should trade for good players instead, rather than using our limited assets to acquire bad players.

1. Galchenyuk isn’t a bad player, he is having a bad season.  His age and track record says he is a perfect buy low candidate.  
2. Also what asset would we be giving up to get him? Sheary, Vesey, Girgensons? Etc.. These guys are all UFAs and none will be here next season.  Isn’t it worth the gamble to try out a talented player for 30+ games and see what he brings vs the same players that have already failed us?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1. Galchenyuk isn’t a bad player, he is having a bad season.  His age and track record says he is a perfect buy low candidate.  Also what asset would we be giving up to get him? Sheary, Vesey, Girgensons? Etc.. These guys are all UFAs and none will be here next season.  Isn’t it worth the gamble to try out a talented player for 30+ games and see what he brings vs the same players that have already failed us?

I think Sheary is the better player. Vesey, I guess. Just seems pointless. He’s not good. “Unplayable” was the latest on him, reportedly. Send him to Buffalo! /s

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sheary may be the better player right now.  So what. What upside does he have?  

I long for the day when keeping the better player is the chosen strategy, simply because the foremost goal of this franchise is winning hockey games. Rather than winning seemingly being a happy afterthought and never the central focus. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.