Sabres' attendance slipping

PASabreFan

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Enforcement of this idea would require such a big brother atmosphere that no one would go to a game.  The desired outcome would lead to many people not attending games (because it won't stop at booing) and the system would crumble.  

Hey now, some of us might be intrigued by the possibility of being pulled out of our (or others) seats like the crane game.

Whack-a-mole could be a good form of punishment as well.  Stand up and boo, get whacked back in your seat by a giant foam mallet. 

1 hour ago, NY2buffalo said:

For 1, people are still watching the games even though they say the team is out of contention. I think there will never be a shortage of fans.

No evidence for 2

For 3, if you pay the minors, coaches, physicians and management better, you'll get better development, healthier players = better NHL players. Could serve as a model to society, don't you think?

For 4, isn't it possible that the hockey players and management just worked harder to get where they are? Why should they be held accountable? 

For 5, I can't think of a single profession (outside military) that suffers those times of blows.

But is he wrong though? I don't know too much about Mr. Pegula, but he might be on to something. Why don't we try it, and see what happens, instead of yelling at the world? The craziest ideas might work.

Fans can only control what they say, not what the media says. Now it's very possible that pressure from Pegula has led to a much friendlier approach from The News. In terms of ball washing, Lance Lysowski makes John Vogl look like a rank amateur. But we still have Mike Harrington thankfully.

24 minutes ago, NY2buffalo said:

Not sure what you're implying. This might be mean, but that type of labor is quite replaceable and of less value.

Oh I'm not implying anything whatsoever.  I'm flat out stating that your ideas are downright insulting to a vast majority of the American public.  But thank god the precious little pro athlete has an advocate.

Stressed Season 2 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Every now and then you run into someone that lacks the mental capacity to understand that there are things that they, well, just don't understand. In that circumstance it's in everyone's best interest to just walk away. If there are any players/coaches/owners that feel they need to invade a space meant for fan interaction and subsequently fling poo at them, then they are most likely in over their heads and are in need of help.

59 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Stressed Season 2 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Every now and then you run into someone that lacks the mental capacity to understand that there are things that they, well, just don't understand. In that circumstance it's in everyone's best interest to just walk away. If there are any players/coaches/owners that feel they need to invade a space meant for fan interaction and subsequently fling poo at them, then they are most likely in over their heads and are in need of help.

But it's ok to fling that poo at us because we aren't important and are expendable.

3 hours ago, NY2buffalo said:

Not sure what you're implying. This might be mean, but that type of labor is quite replaceable and of less value.

There ya go! Glad you're rested up. I knew you'd come back out firing on all cylinders.

4 hours ago, NY2buffalo said:

For 1, people are still watching the games even though they say the team is out of contention. I think there will never be a shortage of fans.

No evidence for 2

For 3, if you pay the minors, coaches, physicians and management better, you'll get better development, healthier players = better NHL players. Could serve as a model to society, don't you think?

For 4, isn't it possible that the hockey players and management just worked harder to get where they are? Why should they be held accountable? 

For 5, I can't think of a single profession (outside military) that suffers those times of blows.

But is he wrong though? I don't know too much about Mr. Pegula, but he might be on to something. Why don't we try it, and see what happens, instead of yelling at the world? The craziest ideas might work.

People are still watching games because they are fans and they get to vent.  But you take that away from them and it won't be worth the effort. 

2 - https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9109024/top-athletes-charities-often-measure-charity-experts-say-efficient-effective-use-money

The Sabres routinely visit what entities?  Those non-profits that are Gold Ring Sponsors? Appearance clauses aren't necessarily charity work so much as contractual obligations of marketing the league and organization.  

3 - There is zero proof of this.

4 - everyone is held accountable.  If you outspend your wages, you outspend your ages.  You spoke of the stress, whatever.  Not everyone works harder to get where they are. They may work harder relative to those who have a similar skillset.  As hard as I work, I will never beat Usain Bolt in the 100m.

5 - Really? farm workers, construction workers, law enforcement. You ever watch Dirty Jobs?  Yeah.. there are some jobs out there that really suck and subject the body to all kinds of abuse.

There's nothing wrong with a crazy idea, but before you implement it you really need to think it through.  Determine what are the real constraints.  You could solve for world peace by killing everyone but 1 person... as long as they weren't self-conflicted.  That's a crazy idea too.

I never said this. All I said was that those jobs are replaceable quite easily from any businessman's perspective.

I hear you. I appreciate you for writing a thoughtful response, I really do. Some further thoughts:

2) Even if they don't use their money well, think about how much teams inspire people in their community to go out and put their best foot forth

4) Fair point

5) Yes, those jobs have their own stress. But nothing compares to having players and management on a national stage.

What's wrong with having advocates in all spheres of influence? That's about the equivalent of telling your struggles to someone, but then having that person say there's someone worse out there.

Hey Terry. Again, welcome to the board.

5) Yes, those jobs have their own stress. But nothing compares to having players and management on a national stage.

What's wrong with having advocates in all spheres of influence? That's about the equivalent of telling your struggles to someone, but then having that person say there's someone worse out there.

You ever been in combat? Ever have your adrenaline pumping your heart so hard you can feel the pounding on your chest above all else, all while pushing forward, door to door, expecting to die with each passing second, hoping you don't, while continuing to push forward, door to door, and this goes on for hours and hours and hours, hustling to push your hand in to your friends gut, literally in to his gut as his bowels lay open from one of a 100 of just that days event?

To even suggest that nothing compares to what these players go through is baffling, to some of us. And their audience, is that some of us, just a reminder.

9 hours ago, NY2buffalo said:

I hear you. I appreciate you for writing a thoughtful response, I really do. Some further thoughts:

2) Even if they don't use their money well, think about how much teams inspire people in their community to go out and put their best foot forth

4) Fair point

I'm not saying that marketing isn't a  good thing. But let's not overplay it.  As for stress, there's certainly something to it.  But it's still not the same as other walks of life.  It's still a game.

I know players.  The one's who didn't really make it. I think the biggest demon they live with is knowing they couldn't make it.  It's not the stress from others but the expectations they had for themselves that they could not live up to. There's a level of belief and confidence they have to have just to persevere but when it ultimately doesn't pan it's hard to accept. The same pride that got them so far works against them when it comes to an end.  There's a point where people have to come to grips with the concept of "I did everything i could and I couldn't do any more."  

9 hours ago, LTS said:

There's a point where people have to come to grips with the concept of "I did everything i could and I couldn't do any more."  

Eventually you come up against the players who have the high ground in terms of skill and drive and no pre-existing injuries and no matter how high you try to jump over them, you're going to end up cooked.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.