Dylan Cozens: Invited to Canada WJ Camp

LGR4GM

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/12/05/buffalo-sabres-nhl-dylan-cozens-lethbridge-hurricanes/

Interview with Cozens.

Botterill was in attendance for his game last night 

Thought this little snippet was interesting. 

Cozens said he's had regular visits this season from Sabres development coaches Krys Barch and Mike Komisarek. Development coach and former Sabre Adam Mair was on hand Wednesday along with new Western scout Mark Ferner, who played with the Sabres and Amerks during the 1980s. Botterill joined them while making his first visit here this season.

On 12/2/2019 at 11:33 PM, Taro T said:

LT see him as the 2C.

Would not mind in the slightest seeing him early on & then when the situation is right having him on Eichel's RW with either Olofsson or Skinner on the LW.

That could seriously be a line on the order of Filly's Legion of Dorks.  2 very big powerful & fast skaters with very sweet passing skills.  2-3 finishers.  3 solid forecheckers (ok, Skinner is a great back checker, but in the offensive zone so is it really back checking or forechecking?).

An absolute nightmare to play against.

And if the 2nd line is Mittelstadt - Johansson - non1st line LW @ RW, then everyone wanting Reinhart to have his own line get their wish.  And he goes against mismatched opponents every game.  What's not to love?

What’s not to love?   The second line

Mitts on the 2nd line - his production needs to go up.  

Johansson - most teams see him a a wing and a good 3rd line player.  I don’t think he is the answer at 2C.  

Cozens made the team and here is a little blurb on him. https://theathletic.com/1455534/2019/12/12/wheeler-final-thoughts-from-team-canadas-world-junior-selection-camp/?source=dailyemail

Cozens played only in the opener — because he was a lock for the team and Hockey Canada wanted to get another look at some of the depth guys in Game 2 — but his line with Quinton Byfield and Nolan Foote (Lightning) looks as close to locked in as the team’s second line as it can be. His hands, given his length and how fast he’s often moving, have this rare ability to keep up with the rest of his game. He ranked No. 4 on my final draft board for the 2019 class, and I’m as confident today in that pick for the Sabres at seventh overall as I was in June.

Assistant coach Andre Tourigny was asked after Game 1 what intrigues him about Cozens, and his answer was appropriate.

“I’m not intrigued by him. I like him. Period,” Tourigny said. “He has a lot of speed, he competes really hard, he’s got great hands, and he’s a good kid. I like a lot of things about him.”

Sidenote, Alex Newhook was cut and to be honest from everything I have read, the cut makes 0 sense and was one of those done for the weird politics that is WJC in Canada. 

Edited by LGR4GM

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Cozens made the team and here is a little blurb on him. https://theathletic.com/1455534/2019/12/12/wheeler-final-thoughts-from-team-canadas-world-junior-selection-camp/?source=dailyemail

Sidenote, Alex Newhook was cut and to be honest from everything I have read, the cut makes 0 sense and was one of those done for the weird politics that is WJC in Canada. 

What do you mean regarding the Newhook cut?

50 minutes ago, Curt said:

He decided against playing in the CHL in favor of going the NCAA route and some old hockey men didn’t like that?  Could be one reason.

Why would rejecting the NCAA in favor of the CHL hurt him in the eyes of the Canadian team? That’s the exact route they’d want to see him follow. 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Why would rejecting the NCAA in favor of the CHL hurt him in the eyes of the Canadian team? That’s the exact route they’d want to see him follow. 

Canada’s braintrust is former CHL guys who have a reputation of bias toward the CHL, just like the American braintrust has a reputation of bias against Americans that head north of the border.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Canada’s braintrust is former CHL guys who have a reputation of bias toward the CHL, just like the American braintrust has a reputation of bias against Americans that head north of the border.

ahhh I read it backwards. I thought he skipped out on the NCAA and didn’t head to BC. Skipping out on BC is always the way to go in my book. 

2 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Reading about What Cozens team mates are saying has me so excited for the sabres. Absolutely hates to lose at everything he does. So competitive. Hardest worker etc. 

He is the culture change the sabres need. Give us a few more like him please.

I get the impression that's the plan. Johnson, Pekar, Samuelsson, Ruustolainen all have those hard working team player buzzwords around them. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He was excellent by all accounts in his 2 game tryout and they cut him anyway because "the inner circle" made the decision. That's a direct quote from Canada's coach. 

I’m not sure this is a hockey Canada political thing.  They probably put more weight into the months of watching the players leading up to selection camp than a two game sample size. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Derrico said:

I’m not sure this is a hockey Canada political thing.  They probably put more weight into the months of watching the players leading up to selection camp than a two game sample size. 

And his skill set may not fit their game plan.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

And his skill set may not fit their game plan.

Yep. "Inner circle" doesn't necessarily mean politics, it could mean how they see him relate to teammates, take coaching, how his skill set fits the role he's competing for...

Also, just because Wheeler loved his tryout, doesn't mean the coaches did.

21 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Reading about What Cozens team mates are saying has me so excited for the sabres. Absolutely hates to lose at everything he does. So competitive. Hardest worker etc. 

He is the culture change the sabres need. Give us a few more like him please.

Isn't Jack doing that already?  Adding another solid piece with serious talent is going to be the biggest help, I'm not sure how much his work ethic is going to change 25-30 year old men.  Maybe push them a little. I'm guessing he'll just push someone off the roster who doesn't belong. ERod, Sobotka, Sheary, etc.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Isn't Jack doing that already?  Adding another solid piece with serious talent is going to be the biggest help, I'm not sure how much his work ethic is going to change 25-30 year old men.  Maybe push them a little. I'm guessing he'll just push someone off the roster who doesn't belong. ERod, Sobotka, Sheary, etc.  

Looking at his history and his stats this season I wouldn’t overlook his talent. Here’s to hoping he comes as advertised. Size, scoring ability and will to win. 

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Peyton Krebs also got cut. Harley also cut.  Newhook was 16th overall, Krebs 17th and Harley 18th last year.  These are three of Canada's most dynamic eligible players.  The USA thanks you.

It's Team Canada.  Most of their roster is filled with first rounders or other high draft picks.

On 12/16/2019 at 12:46 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Peyton Krebs also got cut. Harley also cut.  Newhook was 16th overall, Krebs 17th and Harley 18th last year.  These are three of Canada's most dynamic eligible players.  The USA thanks you.

So does Harley have dual citizenship?  I'm seeing him listed as being born in Syracuse.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.