Dylan Cozens: Invited to Canada WJ Camp

LGR4GM

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

cozens.jpg

Is that Kenny Powers?

celebrate eastbound and down GIF

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

McKenzie had a video bit tonight where he called Cozens a lock to make the team.

Projecting him as the Canada’s top right winger.

Awesome. So long as he's a C in BUF. 

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Is that Kenny Powers?

celebrate eastbound and down GIF

Awesome. So long as he's a C in BUF. 

LT see him as the 2C.

Would not mind in the slightest seeing him early on & then when the situation is right having him on Eichel's RW with either Olofsson or Skinner on the LW.

That could seriously be a line on the order of Filly's Legion of Dorks.  2 very big powerful & fast skaters with very sweet passing skills.  2-3 finishers.  3 solid forecheckers (ok, Skinner is a great back checker, but in the offensive zone so is it really back checking or forechecking?).

An absolute nightmare to play against.

And if the 2nd line is Mittelstadt - Johansson - non1st line LW @ RW, then everyone wanting Reinhart to have his own line get their wish.  And he goes against mismatched opponents every game.  What's not to love?

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

LT see him as the 2C.

Would not mind in the slightest seeing him early on & then when the situation is right having him on Eichel's RW with either Olofsson or Skinner on the LW.

That could seriously be a line on the order of Filly's Legion of Dorks.  2 very big powerful & fast skaters with very sweet passing skills.  2-3 finishers.  3 solid forecheckers (ok, Skinner is a great back checker, but in the offensive zone so is it really back checking or forechecking?).

An absolute nightmare to play against.

And if the 2nd line is Mittelstadt - Johansson - non1st line LW @ RW, then everyone wanting Reinhart to have his own line get their wish.  And he goes against mismatched opponents every game.  What's not to love?

I don't love Johansson at 2C haha. Still room for that trade....

I do like the situation you laid out, but I'd like it more with a Johansson - Reinhart third line. Then we're REALLY talking. Though I'd expect Reinhart remains in the top 6. 

But as mentioned, I think Johansson is likely the guy at 2C until when, if things go to plan, Cozens takes over. I think Botterill would obviously be open to the top 6 forward he's supposedly targeting being a C, but I think it's much more likely a wing. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

I personally won’t get all caught up on and “depend” on Cozens being an effective 2nd line center (if he even develops that well) until 3-4 years after he makes the team full time. In the meantime, we need either Johansson to be that guy, or trade for one. But it’ll be costly. 

*if he even develops that well* ... means although I anticipate and hope he develops that well, I’m not convinced it will happen, until it actually happens. The Sabres need to trade with a worst case scenario in mind. Not hopes that a 18-19 year old will step in and fill a huge role right away. Develop develop develop.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I personally won’t get all caught up on and “depend” on Cozens being an effective 2nd line center (if he even develops that well) until 3-4 years after he makes the team full time. In the meantime, we need either Johansson to be that guy, or trade for one. But it’ll be costly. 

*if he even develops that well* ... means although I anticipate and hope he develops that well, I’m not convinced it will happen, until it actually happens. The Sabres need to trade with a worst case scenario in mind. Not hopes that a 18-19 year old will step in and fill a huge role right away. Develop develop develop.

I agree. Overall, that spot is still very much a question mark. How many years until Cozens can fill that spot, assuming he even can?

Johansson is also not a surefire option. He'll be 30 for next season, and has an injury history. Even right now, he's about a 40 point guy, and that's with health. He's currently adequate, but I wouldn't say he fills it adequately indefinitely. And it's not like it looks like Mittelstadt is destined to fill the role. 

Adding a top 6 forward is still a big need, and C is unquestionably the position of the player that should be targeted foremost, even if ultimately it ends up a wing. 

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree. Overall, that spot is still very much a question mark. How many years until Cozens can fill that spot, assuming he even can?

Johansson is also not a surefire option. He'll be 30 for next season, and has an injury history. Even right now, he's about a 40 point guy, and that's with health. He's currently adequate, but I wouldn't say he fills it adequately indefinitely. And it's not like it looks like Mittelstadt is destined to fill the role. 

Adding a top 6 forward is still a big need, and C is unquestionably the position of the player that should be targeted foremost, even if ultimately it ends up a wing. 

OToo early to do the math and study the market for specifics, but the Sabres have certainly set the table for adding a significant (ie better than Johansson) piece next off-season. They have the cap space, the young stars, the open slots and seemingly the likeable coach. Hopefully finishing the season on a positive note can finish the sales pitch.

Also, you can’t count on growth, but Casey/Dylan/Tage/Ras3/Ras2/Joki/UPL is as talented a group of 20ish players as most and it’s not wishful thinking to think some will step up into the Sheary/Sobotka/Risto slots and improve on them, the way Olofsson has stepped in this year at 24, or Reinhart stepped up last year at 23.

We’re getting close. Botterill has to close the deal.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Too early to do the math and study the market for specifics, but the Sabres have certainly set the table for adding a significant (ie better than Johansson) piece next off-season. They have the cap space, the young stars, the open slots and seemingly the likeable coach. Hopefully finishing the season on a positive note can finish the sales pitch.

Also, you can’t count on growth, but Casey/Dylan/Tage/Ras3/Ras2/Joki/UPL is as talented a group of 20ish players as most and it’s not wishful thinking to think some will step up into the Sheary/Sobotka/Risto slots and improve on them, the way Olofsson has stepped in this year at 24, or Reinhart stepped up last year at 23.

We’re getting close. Botterill has to close.

I've been happy with the amount of "?" that have broken in our favour thus far. It's trending towards beating the odds, which tells me the evaluations were good. There are still glaring mistakes in the construction process but those begin to carry less and less weight when the positive side of the ledger grows. 

Olofsson is a revelation. I will be confident that our up and comers being AS (key word) talented as other teams represents a significant window for improvement once we are more in line with other teams regarding current talent. As mentioned, the trend is looking to be on the upswing. 

We already have the part where we have a top guy, an x-factor, better than the top guy on the other team we are lining up against every night. That's the hard part to acquire. When Eichel (and hopefully Dahlin) have value to us un-hampered by the fact they have to make up for the rest of the roster not being up to par with other teams, I think we are truly in business. 

OMT (one more trade).

Edited by Thorny

19 hours ago, Thorny said:

I do like the situation you laid out, but I'd like it more with a Johansson - Reinhart third line. Then we're REALLY talking. Though I'd expect Reinhart remains in the top 6. 

But as mentioned, I think Johansson is likely the guy at 2C until when, if things go to plan, Cozens takes over. I think Botterill would obviously be open to the top 6 forward he's supposedly targeting being a C, but I think it's much more likely a wing. 

Agree with this take, and my preference is still to see an upgrade from outside the organization brought in as the 2C.  But, my suspicion is that I will be very disappointed on that point.  So, until Johansson isn't the Sabres best (and to a certain degree only) option at 2C, will keep listing him there.

Also, could still see Botterill make a move to convert some D depth + into a true 2RW; but expect it less and less daily as I expect he still sees Thompson (or perhaps Mittelstadt) rounding out that slot in the short term.

Still expect some of the glut of D to get moved this season.  But am more expecting it to be for futures or even prospects that are close to ready than for that 2nd line now help we all crave.

IF Krueger is the right hire AND Krueger is correct that it'll take 1/2 a season for his system and teaching to become habits, then any playoff charge this year is tenuous at best even with reinforcements brought in.  But, again, if both those caveats are correct, then this team should hit the ground running next year more or less as constructed  (realizing there will still be ~ the typical 4-6 player turnover of mid-term guys going out getting replaced by guys like Cozens or by other mid-term FA's or trades). And at that point, having a core that is 24 or younger (minus Skinner) COULD be well served by having a pipeline to replace those 2nd tier guys that won't be worth the price they'll command when they hit UFA and the ability to command the big bucks (following the Blackhawk model) or to use as chits to bring in those high priced guys that are affordable as rentals but not for a full season (following the Pens model).

But as said, this all depends on 2 caveats being correct and they both remain unproven to date.  (Though we can be hopeful they're correct.)

(Sorry 'bout the rambling.  It's been a long week already and it's only Tuesday.)

(Also about this ending up in the Cozens thread.  At least he was specifically mentioned in the post. ? )

You've laid it all out beautifully there, @Taro T. A whole whack of that is getting way ahead of ourselves, though, I think. Putting the the absolute focus on winning on the back burner until next year, again.

Now, one can read the tea leaves and venture a guess that all that stuff you laid out,  all that going to plan next year has a decent chance of actually happening this time, next year, for real. In some ways, I agree the patient approach could be well-serving. But, if these guys keep working there ***** off and we have a chance to really ingrain the focus on winning, Botterill is able to swing a move, not for a rental, but a young-ish forward piece that's going to give these guys not just a bit of a push, but a sign from management that, hey, we have faith in your guys now - I'm all for it. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Jack get rewarded for his leadership if we are staying in the hunt. Maybe a move can't happen, but I really hope he's open to it. And I hope he's not afraid to sacrifice just a little bit of the future for a little today, which may plant a seed that grows into an even brighter bit of future. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/3/2019 at 1:24 AM, Thorny said:

I agree that I think Johansson isn't the long term answer at 2C. I'm hoping Cozens can fit into that role but as we are learning with Mitts, playing C in the NHL is a tough task for a  young player.  

I think, we still have to hope that Mitts can eventually find his way OR they trade for one...though, i have no idea who that would be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.