New Jersey at Buffalo, 7pm, Dec. 2, 2019, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

What a great evening.  I started late, but am catching up with NHL TV’s “Watch from the beginning” option.   During my astonishingly Zelig-like life, I had the opportunity to meet the Knox family more than once.  I’ll spare everyone a “Devo”-lution into current events and culture wars, but think its worth saying that they were wonderful human beings.  I’m the son of humble South Buffalo union workers and the product of public schools and the lessons of working papers on my sixteenth birthday.  I’ve delivered papers, mowed lawns, washed dished, mixed concrete and cleaned chimneys. I worked midnight to 8 am at the Ridge Road McDonalds on weekends in Lackawanna (you can’t scare me).  I wouldn't have it any other way.  But I have no envy of, nor bias against, the wealthy, most of whom I know to be hard working risk takers.  It’s not birth or luck that makes them different.  I know a lot of them.

I think the Knox family has a lot to do with the respect and admiration I have for those who succeed and serve.  Hard working, gracious and generous are the first words I think of.  We occasionally see the word “patrician”.  The Knoxes were patrician.  They spent money, lost money, so hockey could be here.  They charged less for seats when the league and other owners told them to charge more (“oh, we could never”).  They gave.  Seymour was gregarious and the face of the family when politicians, business people, educators, artists, and development officers were paraded into board rooms to meet them.  Norty was quieter, a serious business man.  Seymour greeted you with a broad smile and outstretched hand.  Norty greeted you with a steely gaze, arms folded across his chest, and a polite nod.  They didn't know me from Adam, but I was around a bit for a few years.  “How’s your boy?” When they wanted a partnership, they invited you into their home.  They served drinks and mingled.  It couldn’t be easy, always being “on”.  Gracious.  They built, they cared, they gave back.

I get “Chet and Muffy”.  I make the joke, too.   Because of the Knoxes, I don’t forget they’re real, live, people.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Great night for hockey. 

Yes, the Knox’s are part of Buffalo’s fabric.  Not the union worker, blue collar type, but the gracious and friendly part of Buffalo.  

Ever wonder why Punch would bother to take on an expansion team?   Look no further than Seymour Knox and his partners.  

• Like (+1) 5

A thought on Asplund's goal:  Yes, wonderful, wicked shot.  But the really impressive part is that he followed what Mitts was doing in the puck and put himself in a passing lane that would allow for a clear shot on goal.  Great hockey sense.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Back in the playoffs. Should be noted that after the "slide" last year where we fell out, we never got back in. 

Not this time. 

Last year the OT lost to Toronto was when the wheels fully came off.  This year it signaled (I hope) the Sabres getting their ducks back in a row.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.