GDT: Sabres at Maple Leafs, Saturday 11/30/19, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

That was a great hockey game. 

Hutton did make some nice saves but both goals he allowed were lousy plays by him.  It’s becoming increasingly clear that he’s not a #1.

I wanted Jack and Skinner to start OT.  Skinner didn’t get the first or 2nd shift, and by the end of the 2nd it was too late.

I am starting to think the ST problems indicate a coaching issue. 

The effort and overall level of play lately are nevertheless pretty encouraging.

Go Sabres.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Really nice to watch a game, be entertained, and come away thinking about how the refs let the leafs get away with a bunch of stuff (as they often do in Toronto) rather than about how crap we played. That's 2 good games in a row and if not for a few posts and big saves by Anderson we could have won both.

I see some things possibly coming together and have a little hope. My own view is the Leafs aren't all that and if we'd actually played them even more physical tonight they'd have fallen apart. They are the definition of softness.

With all these extra D men I'm thinking I personally would try Risto in Sam's place full time and also in front of the net again on the PP. The (lack of a)PP is sinking us. Big body in front for Eichel and Sam can boost another of the lines for that desired balance. Just a thought. 

It was fun to watch for a change that's the bottom line. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

It's gotta be late, because I can't make out what that could mean. Single ticket? Slot t..ta...something? Shooting temper? ShutouT? Simple technical? WHAT DO YOU MEAN? I want to cry...

...oh wait, shot totals?  Is that it?

Edited by ...

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Just finished watching the game on delay.  Andersen stole the game for Toronto, to two ways about it.  Overall the Sabres had the better chances all night long, especially in OT.  The OT winner was disappointing; Hutts has to make that save.  I checked the SOG and the Sabres were outshot soundly at 43-30 and yet it felt like the Sabres had more quality scoring chances.

Good physical game starting with the captain.  I felt Skins and Sheary also played more physical than usual.

***** happens.  Move on.

Looking at the shot charts, Buffalo had more quality chances. Toronto took a lot of outside point shots which should just be referred to as a hope and prayer shot. 

7 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

It’s pretty frustrating to watch your team play good enough to win on most nights, and not, because there’s still a lack of forward talent. 

Meanwhile, the team has a stockpile of defenseman that are being hoarded, for a slew of vague reasons and excuses. 

Most likely looking for the right deal.  Come playoff time those defenseman will go up in value.  

And yes, I get it, we need help now to stay competitive this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

That was a great hockey game. 

Hutton did make some nice saves but both goals he allowed were lousy plays by him.  It’s becoming increasingly clear that he’s not a #1.

I wanted Jack and Skinner to start OT.  Skinner didn’t get the first or 2nd shift, and by the end of the 2nd it was too late.

The effort and overall level of play lately are nevertheless pretty encouraging.

Go Sabres.  

I agree....might have been the most exciting 2-1 OT game ever

22 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I actually forgot about Dahlin completely, wow. I mean, i really forgot he was even on the team last night. That would be impossible if Eichel was missing.

You mean you forgot all the turnovers that lead to goals he has?

2 hours ago, nucci said:

what's the point of replay? That puck was clearly in.

It wasn't that clear. We just all wanted it to be. Marty had an explanation about the replay being deceptive — something about the width of the post — that I really didn't get. I think he said he tweeted about it. Someone said if you asked 100 people if that puck was in, 100 would say yes. If we're talking about 100 non-hockey fans, I think it might be more like 50-50.

FTR, I called it a goal and predicted it wouldn't count.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Jhonas Enroth, now playing in the KHL, replied to Marty's tweet to say they have a sensor in the puck over there.

I'm still wondering why that call didn't go to the war room. I think the Sabres would have have a better shot.

You know the NHL is run by dinosaurs when the KHL has better technology to judge goals. For F'n sakes, isn't that league nearly bankrupt and they have puck sesnors?

The rule is that in order to overturn the call on the ice, the video must be clear and indisputable, right?  If so, then not overturning the call was the correct outcome, even though it most likely was in.

in any case, that call was not the reason for the loss. 

44 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The rule is that in order to overturn the call on the ice, the video must be clear and indisputable, right?  If so, then not overturning the call was the correct outcome, even though it most likely was in.

in any case, that call was not the reason for the loss. 

I'm glad you put the "right?" in there, because I've never been able to confirm that clear and indisputable is the NHL's standard. I just ported "incontrovertible visual evidence" over from the NFL as a working definition. I've seen some calls out of Toronto that indicate the league basically makes the call from scratch and uses a lower standard of evidence.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Looking at the shot charts, Buffalo had more quality chances. Toronto took a lot of outside point shots which should just be referred to as a hope and prayer shot. 

Yeah, that's what my eyes saw.

Then again... what was the game winner?  ?

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Jhonas Enroth, now playing in the KHL, replied to Marty's tweet to say they have a sensor in the puck over there.

I'm still wondering why that call didn't go to the war room. I think the Sabres would have have a better shot.

Maybe, but isn't the "war room" where replay gets analyzed in Toronto?

3 hours ago, Weave said:

You know the NHL is run by dinosaurs when the KHL has better technology to judge goals. For F'n sakes, isn't that league nearly bankrupt and they have puck sesnors?

I feel like there is too much opportunity for shenanigans if people start using technology like that.  Could you imagine what the Patriots would do if the footballs had sensors.  

3 hours ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

Maybe, but isn't the "war room" where replay gets analyzed in Toronto?

I thought so. I'm hung up on thinking I saw the refs get handed tablets. But I'm pretty sure they also had headsets on. Who the hell knows what I saw. Never mind.

My hatred of the loser point is only outstripped by budding hatred of the very nearly dastardly Leaves from The Great Satan. 

So, I will allow it and gladly.  3 out of a possible 4 points, but the Leaves got 2, instead of 1, thanks to the infinate wisdom of the astoudedly stupid NHL.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
a lot of words, but still missed a few key ones ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.