GDT: Sabres at Maple Leafs, Saturday 11/30/19, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

OK, here we go.  Have the Sabres turned a corner and emerged from their death spiral?  Sweeping the Leafs in a home and home would be pretty sweet and would very nicely cap a great Buffalo sports weekend.

Some notes:

- Despite the win yesterday, the Sabres are an atrocious 1-for-their-last-35 on the PP.

- Sam Reinhart has one goal in nine games for the Sabres; Jeff Skinner scored a goal Friday, his second in the past eight games; Conor Sheary is without a goal in his past 18 games and Casey Mittelstadt scored Friday after going 16 games without a goal.

- Before yesterday, the Sabres had lost 5 in a row to Toronto.

- Jack Eichel, who was awesome yesterday, enters today's game on an eight-game point streak that began on Nov. 16. As of the conclusion of last night's game, his 15 points (8+7) during the streak led the NHL during that timeframe.

- Victor Olofsson has recorded points in 10 of his last 11 games (4+6). He enters today's game on a career-best, six-game point streak (3+3).

- Jimmy Vesey enters today's game with points in each of Buffalo's last four games, totaling five points (3+2) during that span.

Goalies are Hutton and Anderson.

Here we go.  I think there is a pretty good chance that the Sabres have righted the ship and, while not an upper-echelon team, will remain around the bubble for the rest of the season.

Go Sabres.

46 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Please string to wins together. The season cans till be saved. 

Yes, I think this is the theme of the game. SAVE THE SEASON! A win tonight can salvage a season that has, once again, gone horribly awry. This isn't a good roster, but in order to attract people here who can make it good, the team can't look like a tire fire. Do this! Win! Fix it!

Can’t think of a situation that screams loss more than this one:

Our struggling backup against their starter, in their barn, 2nd half of a home-and-home in which we’ve already pocketed two points, against a more talented team that should be motivated from an embarrassing performance yesterday.

Despite the results, Sabres have played pretty well 11 of the past 12 periods and are due for a letdown.

A win today would be a surprise and a statement.

People should stop swinging wildly in their overall outlook on the team on a game by game basis.  The result of this game can neither save or doom the season.  

It’s just one game.  I hope they win, and I hope they win more than they lose for the rest of the season.

• Like (+1) 6

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can’t think of a situation that screams loss more than this one:

Our struggling backup against their starter, in their barn, 2nd half of a home-and-home in which we’ve already pocketed two points, against a more talented team that should be motivated from an embarrassing performance yesterday.

Despite the results, Sabres have played pretty well 11 of the past 12 periods and are due for a letdown.

A win today would be a surprise and a statement.

Due for a letdown = the gambler's fallacy?

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

People should stop swinging wildly in their overall outlook on the team on a game by game basis.  The result of this game can neither save or doom the season.  

Stop being so reasonable and rational - this is the internet  ???

The Sabres aren't a top 10 team in the NHL, but they aren't a bottom 10 team either.  Consistent efforts on a nightly basis, regular game-over-game improvement for developing players, one move mid-season and another at the deadline could get them to the second round. 

JBotts isn't a terrible GM, he's just green; the coach, also a bit green, is a known for being an effective motivator; and Jack Eichel is proving this season to be a leader on the ice and in the locker room. 

Sure it's not the best situation to be in, but it's not dire (yet).  There are going to be a lot of ups and downs this season; everyone should strap in and enjoy the fact that we have a management team that doesn't ruin the development of future propects (i.e. Dylan Cozens) to superficially improve the team on paper.

I hope the Sabres step on the Leafs throat tonight.  2 losses in a row against a struggling Sabres team would turn the heat up in TO and hopefully disrupt any left over momentum from the Babcock firing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

Yes, I think this is the theme of the game. SAVE THE SEASON! A win tonight can salvage a season that has, once again, gone horribly awry. This isn't a good roster, but in order to attract people here who can make it good, the team can't look like a tire fire. Do this! Win! Fix it!

46 minutes ago, Curt said:

It’s just one game.  I hope they win, and I hope they win more than they lose for the rest of the season.

Despite the way the season has unfolded, the Sabres overall record and place in the standings right now is pretty much where most of us expected, no? Its going to be struggle all year long.

And bruised fan syndrome will continue for awhile even after the beatings stop.

• Like (+1) 1

Really expect them to play much like they did yesterday.  Hopefully the PP wakes up enough to make up for Hutton being between the pipes.  (Or maybe tonight gets him out of his November doldrums.  Or even better, both.)

Eichel does well against Anderson, maybe he can pass along some tricks to Olofsson, Vesey, and any others that might need pointers on torching Freddie.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Sabres broadcast showing a little documentary during 1st and 2nd intermissions tonight.

The subject:  Ray vs. Domi

May well be more entertaining than the game.

cut.jpg

May it be the most uplifting part of the game for the followers of the Great Satan.

They are also 2 gentlemen that I would love to sit and have multiple beers with and just listen.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.