5. Johansson 

6. Mitts 

7. Sheary

8. Larsson

9. Girgensons 

10. Vessey

11. Okposo 

12. ERod/Sobotka 

improve on 2, 3, 4 so that Skinner and Reinhart are pushed down to 5&6 and push the rest down.  Add two big thumpers for the 3rd and 4th line to put some edge in the lineup.  

Thats 5 forwards total and we only have Cozens in the system thus far.  A trade of our extra defensemen for a top 6 forward is needed.  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

1. Eichel

2. Skinner

3. Reinhart

4. Olofsson

5. Johansson 

6. Mitts 

7. Sheary

8. Larsson

9. Girgensons 

10. Vessey

11. Okposo 

12. ERod/Sobotka 

improve on 2, 3, 4 so that Skinner and Reinhart are pushed down to 5&6 and push the rest down.  Add two big thumpers for the 3rd and 4th line to put some edge in the lineup.  

Thats 5 forwards total and we only have Cozens in the system thus far.  A trade of our extra defensemen for a top 6 forward is needed.  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You wanna push 2 60 point forwards down to your 4th and 5th best forwards? Not sure there's a team in the league that rosters 5 60 point forwards but maybe. If possible it would make us very good. I think that's a great goal to aim for. 

Yeah, last season, no team in the league had more than 4 60+ point forwards.

I really just think this team needs 2 more Johansson/Olofsson level forwards and they would be in great shape. Imagine......

Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson 

Olofsson-Johansson-Reinhart 

Mittelstadt-Johansson-Vesey 

Girgenson-Larsson-Asplund/Ok/ERod

That would be a really nice group.  The Sabres don’t need to add a 40 goal or 80 point guy, just a couple decent 2nd liners and the forwards would be in great shape.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You wanna push 2 60 point forwards down to your 4th and 5th best forwards? Not sure there's a team in the league that rosters 5 60 point forwards but maybe. If possible it would make us very good. I think that's a great goal to aim for. 

Yes, that might be asking much.  Definitely need a real #2 center to push Johansson to wing.  Definitely need another scoring winger to push the competition with Johansson and Olofsson.  Maybe Cozens is the 2C someday?  

Then I would add some toughness to 3rd and 4th lines.  With all the defensemen we have this should be possible.  

On 11/30/2019 at 2:56 AM, Doohickie said:

Jack is the second best forward on the team.  He's also the first best.  He's that good.

Oh, you master click-baiter, you.

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

Dont get me wrong, I don’t think he is overrated, or that he deserves more flak. I’m just surprised he doesn’t get it.

Hes Sabrespace’s fair-haired boy.

Have you seen his smile? Did you see the ping pong video? I personally don't ever see Jeff make a mistake.

SabreSpace on a lazy, icy Sunday morning. You guys are good, scary good!

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He said 5th and 6th. There's no roster in the league where Skinner and Reinhart are the 5th and 6th best forwards. 

8 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, last season, no team in the league had more than 4 60+ point forwards.

I really just think this team needs 2 more Johansson/Olofsson level forwards and they would be in great shape. Imagine......

Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson 

Olofsson-Johansson-Reinhart 

Mittelstadt-Johansson-Vesey 

Girgenson-Larsson-Asplund/Ok/ERod

That would be a really nice group.  The Sabres don’t need to add a 40 goal or 80 point guy, just a couple decent 2nd liners and the forwards would be in great shape.

Definitely not an 80 point guy, which would be our second best player, but I'd like to add a bonafide top 6 player who would be in the ~50 point range. That is to say, a forward who would slot in as about our 4th best guy after Eichel, Skinner, and Reinhart. 

37 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Definitely not an 80 point guy, which would be our second best player, but I'd like to add a bonafide top 6 player who would be in the ~50 point range. That is to say, a forward who would slot in as about our 4th best guy after Eichel, Skinner, and Reinhart.

You mean Johansson? ?

(Yes, most of us would be very happy with 1 more of him; especially at a fair price.)

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You mean Johansson? ?

(Yes, most of us would be very happy with 1 more of him; especially at a fair price.)

I don't see Johansson as a 50 point guy. Especially not when taking into account his proclivity to being injured. He's reached 50 all of once in his career, 3 years ago. His underlyings also haven't been good lately. Johansson to me is more middle-6 than top 6. He's more of a 40 point guy, and that's more of a 40 point PACE guy, at this point, due to injury history. 

I'd say with the emergence of VO, we are sitting at 4.5 out of 6 of a top 6. Mojo representing that .5, which isn't an issue at all really if we were sitting at 5.5 instead. 

The situation has developed positively in that we seemed to be sitting at 3.5 at season's start, so it doesn't look like we need to add TWO top 6 guys, but the situation still rather desperately calls for one more. I use desperately, in the sense that I think a roster that wants to compete for a playoff spot legitimately into March/April needs it. 

Edited by Thorny

On 11/30/2019 at 10:31 AM, OhMyDahlin said:

1. Eichel

2. Reinhart

3. Skinner

4. Olofsson

5th best is the question here?

Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Johannson, Olofsson...   VO can leap up to Skinner's level, but he is not there yet,  great shot, but still a work in progress doing things on his own.

57 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Johannson, Olofsson...   VO can leap up to Skinner's level, but he is not there yet,  great shot, but still a work in progress doing things on his own.

I don’t think Johansson is getting enough credit in this thread.  My eye test has him very good at entries and he just simply makes plays.  He had a couple of beauty set ups in OT that didn’t get cashed in.  Prior to his injury I would have called him our 2nd best forward.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Maybe, but probably not that high. But higher than many others. Killing penalties, creating offense, using his speed, I think he is really a good player. 

We are going to have to disagree here. I think he is a middle 6 player who shows flashes and then disappears for long stretches. 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We are going to have to disagree here. I think he is a middle 6 player who shows flashes and then disappears for long stretches. 

I'm actually not going to disagree, but just say only time will tell. Kruger really likes him and has given him more responsibility and he has responded. I hope he continues to look this good, but you might be right, he could disappear again. 

His speed really impresses me. Didn't realize he was so fast. One-two steps and he is gone. 

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Jimmy Vesey is making a run at this lately. If he keeps up his awesome play he will in for a big pay day at the end of the year. 

Of the opening night forwards, Vesey is better than Sobotka, Okposo, and Sheary.  And PROBABLY Mittelstadt.

IF he keeps up this level of play, he could also surpass Girgensons and Larsson.  Can't see any scenario short of Olofsson going completely in the tank where is is better than the Sabres 6th best forward.  And to be successful, they probably need him on his game and their 9th best forward.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.