Pyatt

Larry Playfair

and I mean both in his head and the goal lamp! No pts yet? 1 mil in salary. 

With his size and speed, the 6-foot-4, 227-pound left wing should be dominating.  Unless he picks it up, I see waivers in his future.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20050925/1049535.asp

Go Bills.

I don't see him being waived, simply because he is at the point in his career where he will either step it up or bust. I think the Sabres are concerned about the PR hit should they release him and then he pans out. Also, if he is waived and clears waivers, I believe the Sabres will be on the hook for his whole salary (that's the way it was under the old CBA; I haven't heard anything stating that has changed).

You are right, he should be dominating. It'll be interesting to see if he's the next Keith Primeau, Wayne Primeau, or something inbetween.

If he doesn't pick it up, I see him going at the trade deadline for somebody else's disappointment.

Dave.

Guest Kristian

Pyatt has got to be the biggest coaster on this team. Haven't seen him play this pre-season, but in 2004 all he ever did, apart from a 6 game streak in the early goings of the season, was coast, coast, coast. Remember what happened when he got injured in April, and Bartovic got his spot?

So much raw talent, so much potential for being a true menace to opposing defensemen and goaltenders, by just standing in front of the net, yet such a lack of intensity.

Pyatt is a wimp. A lazy wimp, I might add. Throwing 1 mill. a year his way is lunacy, he's not even good enough for The Amerks.

Pyatt has got to be the biggest coaster on this team. Haven't seen him play this pre-season, but in 2004 all he ever did, apart from a 6 game streak in the early goings of the season, was coast, coast, coast. Remember what happened when he got injured in April, and Bartovic got his spot?

So much raw talent, so much potential for being a true menace to opposing defensemen and goaltenders, by just standing in front of the net, yet such a lack of intensity.

Pyatt is a wimp. A lazy wimp, I might add. Throwing 1 mill. a year his way is lunacy, he's not even good enough for The Amerks.

So far I agree. I thought this kid was gonna be a LeClair type power foward. I've seen nothing of the sort. So, if he is true to the statements in the Bnews today and truly knows he has to work his butt off, then he might come around. But so far, PECA over these two (Timmy) anyday. We got chewed on this trade. Plus, that made Dominator leave too, when he realized the Sabres were not gonna give PECA the extra $1mil he deserved.

So far I agree. I thought this kid was gonna be a LeClair type power foward. I've seen nothing of the sort. So, if he is true to the statements in the Bnews today and truly knows he has to work his butt off, then he might come around. But so far, PECA over these two (Timmy) anyday. We got chewed on this trade. Plus, that made Dominator leave too, when he realized the Sabres were not gonna give PECA the extra $1mil he deserved.

That's the killer in the Peca debacle. If the Sabres had gotten something for Peca, or better yet - resigned him, Dom would likely still be a Sabre. I still think the Sabres would have had an excellent chance to win the Cup in '01 had they either had Peca or his value in trade that year. They barely lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs and had they made it to the next round would have faced a NJ team that they had beaten like a red headed stepchild throughout the regular season.

Considering the way Peca wore down during the Cup run in '99 and started the next season, I actually wasn't that upset that he held out, initially. I was sure they were close enough to work out a deal in December. I thought that having Peca play 2-3 fewer months would work out for Buffalo because he would still have gas in the tank at the end of May when the Sabres really needed him. When his signing in December didn't happen, it shot the entire season, and the next 3. (Maybe even more than that.) Unfortunately, I didn't realize how poor the felon family's finances were and that there was no way they would ever give Peca what he was worth or bring in someone they had to pay that was worth Mike.

I haven't looked it up, but I believe Buffalo beat Colorado in OT in Colorado their one game there that year with Marty in the net. Had the Sabres been in the finals with Dom and Peca (or equivalent), I expect I would have been very drunk in Lafayette Square during the parade / speeches. Oh, well.

Dave.

That's the killer in the Peca debacle. If the Sabres had gotten something for Peca, or better yet - resigned him, Dom would likely still be a Sabre. I still think the Sabres would have had an excellent chance to win the Cup in '01 had they either had Peca or his value in trade that year. They barely lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs and had they made it to the next round would have faced a NJ team that they had beaten like a red headed stepchild throughout the regular season.

Considering the way Peca wore down during the Cup run in '99 and started the next season, I actually wasn't that upset that he held out, initially. I was sure they were close enough to work out a deal in December. I thought that having Peca play 2-3 fewer months would work out for Buffalo because he would still have gas in the tank at the end of May when the Sabres really needed him. When his signing in December didn't happen, it shot the entire season, and the next 3. (Maybe even more than that.) Unfortunately, I didn't realize how poor the felon family's finances were and that there was no way they would ever give Peca what he was worth or bring in someone they had to pay that was worth Mike.

I haven't looked it up, but I believe Buffalo beat Colorado in OT in Colorado their one game there that year with Marty in the net. Had the Sabres been in the finals with Dom and Peca (or equivalent), I expect I would have been very drunk in Lafayette Square during the parade / speeches. Oh, well.

Dave.

The peca trade wouldn't be as bad now if Regier would just give it up. He continues to shove $2 million is salary at Connolly and Pyatt just to try to get something out of the trade.

Big surprise here. I can't stand Regier. :o

Regier not being able to admit his mistakes is a big reason. It's one thing to make a mistake. That's forgivable. To continue to make that same mistake over and over and over to save face no matter how much it continues to hurt the team on the ice is unforgivable.

I am afraid Connolly and Pyatt will be on this team no matter the cost while Regier remains GM.

Athletes of Pyatt's type don't all of a sudden have the "light" go on. Either you play with intensity and fire because that's who you are, or you are a Chris Gratton or Wayne Primeau. Very rarely does something suddenly change; it's basic make-up. The Islanders knew what they were doing.

If the Sabres keep this stiff around any longer because of his potential up-side, and ship out someone who will hustle and contribute, shame on them, again.

Athletes of Pyatt's type don't all of a sudden have the "light" go on. Either you play with intensity and fire because that's who you are, or you are a Chris Gratton or Wayne Primeau. Very rarely does something suddenly change; it's basic make-up.

I disagree. The kid started playing in the NHL at 19. Maturity certainly has a a lot to do with the development of a player.

Guest Kristian

While I agree that maturity plays a huge part in a players development, I also agree that work ethic isn't something you gain by maturing.

You either have it, or you don't. Pyatt doesn't.

While I agree that maturity plays a huge part in a players development, I also agree that work ethic isn't something you gain by maturing.

You either have it, or you don't. Pyatt doesn't.

I can't think of one player who started out soft then turned it around. It just doesn't happen.

ive always tried to give pyatt a chance i thought that at least of the 2 that we got for peca he'd be the one to pick it up and make something of it... apperantly not though... him and connolly have to go soon... real soon! even if you either bench em or send em to the amerks thats good enough then get rid of them for more garbage... even if we do get garbage in return lets at least trade for garbage that gives a damn and tries hard on the ice.

I don't think Bertuzzi has ever been considered "soft". And all you have to look at is the PIMs for them both and realize there is a huge difference. Bertuzzi averages about 79 mins his first four years, Pyatt 34.

Bertuzzi may not have been "soft", but he definitely wasn't the beast he is today. He had a decent rookie year scoring wise and then dropped off the face of the earth. No opponent feared playing against him. Also, I don't consider a guy averaging a penalty every 2 games as necessarily being tough. For the size he was and the playing time he got, he should have been getting a heck of a lot more points and a heck of a lot more PIMs when he was an Islander.

I also don't consider it a fair assessment to say that Pyatt is "soft". (I'd say more accurately that it's not so much he's been soft, he just hasn't been especially tough.) He definitely has not been a power forward, but he isn't a Connolly either. Will he become the power forward the Sabres need? I say the jury is still out, but it sounds as if I am in the minority on that one.

One thing that would definitely help Pyatt would be the Sabres having a tough forward that could mentor him. He doesn't have that role model on the team. (I don't count a 4th line guy taking Andro that can't skate as a particularly effective power forward role model!)

Dave.

I can't think of one player who started out soft then turned it around. It just doesn't happen.

Here's why you don't dump him yet:

Cam Neely Forward

Born Jun 6 1965 -- Comox, BC

Height 6.01 -- Weight 185

Selected by Vancouver Canucks round 1 #9 overall 1983 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

1982-83 Portland Winter Hawks WHL 72 56 64 120 130 14 9 11 20 17

1983-84 Vancouver Canucks NHL 56 16 15 31 57 4 2 0 2 2

1983-84 Portland Winter Hawks WHL 19 8 18 26 29 -- -- -- -- --

1984-85 Vancouver Canucks NHL 72 21 18 39 137 -- -- -- -- --

1985-86 Vancouver Canucks NHL 73 14 20 34 126 3 0 0 0 6

1986-87 Boston Bruins NHL 75 36 36 72 143 4 5 1 6 8

1987-88 Boston Bruins NHL 69 42 27 69 175 23 9 8 17 51

1988-89 Boston Bruins NHL 74 37 38 75 190 10 7 2 9 8

1989-90 Boston Bruins NHL 76 55 37 92 117 21 12 16 28 51

1990-91 Boston Bruins NHL 69 51 40 91 98 19 16 4 20 36

1991-92 Boston Bruins NHL 9 9 3 12 16 -- -- -- -- --

1992-93 Boston Bruins NHL 13 11 7 18 25 4 4 1 5 4

1993-94 Boston Bruins NHL 49 50 24 74 54 -- -- -- -- --

1994-95 Boston Bruins NHL 42 27 14 41 72 5 2 0 2 2

1995-96 Boston Bruins NHL 49 26 20 46 31 -- -- -- -- --

NHL Totals 726 395 299 694 1241 93 57 32 89 168

A little overkill, but the point is Neely had 51 goals in his first 3 seasons. A big guy is still filling out at this age. If he blows this year, you dump him because you are right, you can't wait forever.

Anyone remember when we sold Ray Sheppherd to NY for $1 so we didn't have to pay his salary on waivers?

I think he ended up OK, too.

Guest Kristian
Bertuzzi may not have been "soft", but he definitely wasn't the beast he is today. He had a decent rookie year scoring wise and then dropped off the face of the earth. No opponent feared playing against him. Also, I don't consider a guy averaging a penalty every 2 games as necessarily being tough. For the size he was and the playing time he got, he should have been getting a heck of a lot more points and a heck of a lot more PIMs when he was an Islander.

I also don't consider it a fair assessment to say that Pyatt is "soft". (I'd say more accurately that it's not so much he's been soft, he just hasn't been especially tough.) He definitely has not been a power forward, but he isn't a Connolly either. Will he become the power forward the Sabres need? I say the jury is still out, but it sounds as if I am in the minority on that one.

One thing that would definitely help Pyatt would be the Sabres having a tough forward that could mentor him. He doesn't have that role model on the team. (I don't count a 4th line guy taking Andro that can't skate as a particularly effective power forward role model!)

Dave.

He's worse than Connolly.

A particular incident springs to mind when we were battling The Isles for the last playoff spot a few years back - Jason Blake, an absolute monster of 5'10 and 185 pounds manhandles the petite 6'4, 227 pounds Pyatt, and either sets up or scores a goal, I forget which.

I cannot count the occasions where I have seen Pyatt, despite his hulking frame and skating ability, allow himself to simply be brushed - not pushed - BRUSHED off the puck by players the size of Cliff Ronning. The man should be able to round the net repeatedly wearing Jason Blake on his back, for Christ sakes!

Connolly is not a physcial presence, he never was, never will be. Pyatt IS a physical presence, in the way that if a guy of 227 pounds doesn't feel like being moved, it takes something special to move him. Not in Pyatt's case though, all it takes to completely remove him, is a little heart.

I'm sick of this kid, Connolly's defensive lapses aside, he still sets up a goal once in a while, Pyatt on the other hand does nothing, except take up a roster spot from someone willing to work for a living, and of course he gets paid 1 mill. a year for that.

Dave.

Pyatt is the picture of "soft". A big guy with no heart.

It's funny how names like Bertuzzi and Neely are being tossed aroung. Niether one was ever considered soft. They may have blossomed offensivly after a few years. They both were physical. Pyatt is not much more physical then Connolly.

If you want to compare Pyatt to some former players? How about Steve Patrick? Or Bob Corkum?

I think the problem with Connolly and Pyatt was the fact that NYI threw them in the fire too soon. They had no time to develop. They knew they ruined them or stunted their NHL growth, which is why they unloaded them to the Sabres for Peca. I'm sorry, but Peca hasn't exactly set the world on fire since he left. But you can't argue with the bust issue of Connolly and Pyatt. Any team who got anything for these two stay puff marshmellow men came out ahead.

Archived