GDT 11/29 Sabres vs Leafs. 4pm et.

steveoath

There are pros and cons to coaching philosophies about line structures. Ralph tends to let things ride for loooooooooooooooong stretches of time without changing lines, because he believes in building chemistry. For a while it was annoying, because Jack's line was clearly losing matchups most nights. But they've turned it around,and I think the tough minutes are starting to show us another growth spurt in Olofsson's game, which would be huge. Most coaches would have split them up (and I would have agreed with them) weeks ago. But it looks like sticking with this top line for 25 games is paying off now.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I was thinking about this.... last year, the Sabres had their ten game win streak end a few games before the Toronto game on Dec 4, 2018, a game they lost to the Leafs in OT.  It felt to me at the time that even though the streak had already ended, this is the point where I felt the Sabres were going down.  Tonight I had the exact opposite sense. I think this is where the streak of sloppy play stops and the Sabres start putting Ws on the board again.

Sabres dressed 11 forwards and 7 D so the lines were a little jumbled.

Let's hope this is where the wins start to come again regularly. 

But really felt they've played well (minus about the last 22 minutes in TB) since the Boston game.  That game, the only reason they lost was Rask had his A+ game working and the PK was still hot garbage.  Swap either goalies or PK's and the Sabres would've won going away that night. 

And though they gave up a ton of shots to FLA, they really only gave up a small handful of excellent chances and Linus played HIS best game as a Sabre.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

There are pros and cons to coaching philosophies about line structures. Ralph tends to let things ride for loooooooooooooooong stretches of time without changing lines, because he believes in building chemistry. For a while it was annoying, because Jack's line was clearly losing matchups most nights. But they've turned it around,and I think the tough minutes are starting to show us another growth spurt in Olofsson's game, which would be huge. Most coaches would have split them up (and I would have agreed with them) weeks ago. But it looks like sticking with this top line for 25 games is paying off now.

Yeah, right about the time I finally started doubting Olofsson, he pulled it together quite nicely.  :doh:

Maybe I should get off the Montour train for a couple of games. ?

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

This represents 90 per cent of the commentary during the first period.

It reads like the Sabres must have been outshot 18-4 and were down 3-0 after being hemmed in their zone the entire time. 

Is it really what people saw?

Just to be clear. My post was not intended to be about one game but the season to date. Sorry I'm not jumping up and down because we won a game against the Leafs. We also have lost a few against so so teams this month. 

2 hours ago, Radar said:

Just to be clear. My post was not intended to be about one game but the season to date. Sorry I'm not jumping up and down because we won a game against the Leafs. We also have lost a few against so so teams this month. 

I'm not thrilled by the team right now either but they are playing better FWIW.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.