The Tear Down, The Tank, The Recovery. What has gone on here in Buffalo is Completely Unnacceptable.

Scottysabres

As the Thread Title states. Enough is enough. Who here has the writing skills? We are a community of the Buffalo Sabres fan base, I say we write an articulated response to this continuous season after season nose dive bull *****. I for one am very beyond tired of ownership and management preaching patience in the soup line while serving up crap cubes in water as the soup.

All should have input in this community, post it here. Someone amongst us should then write it up and have it read aloud, directly addressing ownership and management on WGR, on channels 2, 4 and 7, on the Instigators, until it is heard and responded to by aforementioned ownership and management. I can't stand this team, they suck freaking donkey balls.

Who's with me?

Post up what you'd like to see in such an address here, and please, we have plenty of really talented orators on this sight, someone volunteer to put it together for distribution to the media.

What say you all? 

35 minutes ago, inkman said:

Stop giving them your money.  That's how change happens.  

Can't disagree, but I also know this rarely happens. Fans are starved for entertainment and jump back on the bandwagon easily.

I do wonder about expectations and where the bar gets set and the culture and all that. Buffalo does seem to have a very low bar. Give you an example. I caught a little of the Ottawa Boston game tonight and the Canadian announcers were talking about Boston beating Montreal 8-1 the night before. After the game Cassidy was asked something and his response to the 8-1 win was that he felt the team hadn't played that well, had made many mistakes they needed to work on and they were fortunate Montreal hadn't taken advantage of those mistakes. Can you ever imagine Buffalo winning a game 8-1 and having their coach not gush with praise? Heck, I've heard positive comments from JBot, Housley, now Krueger for games we lose. Point being, the bar in Buffalo has been set very very low and the team performs accordingly.

• Like (+1) 6

Meh. I’m pretty confident they know the fans aren’t happy. Most home games aren’t sellouts. I imagine the season ticket waiting list is very small. (It used to be over 2,000 on the list 5-6 years ago). I imagine the merch sales overall are lower compared to years ago. Eichel, Dahlin, and 50th anniversary jerseys are only part of the picture. I’m sure the market researchers and even the coach and GM and probably owners tune in to radio shows from time to time to hear the discontent from fans. Although a lot of callers are rather disconnected from reality and logic and just call to vent frustration. The overall sentiment is obvious. The request of some fan manifesto to be written is old news. Every fan base for every major sport in every city has wanted to do the same thing. It’s not unique.
When the actual act of writing it and submitting it to news outlets is put on the shoulders of one fan, it always sputters out and goes nowhere. Just like this idea will. Part of the reason is because so many have a different way to write. Some want to be professional, respectful, yet get points across. Some want to be fire and brimstone and be quite rude, blunt and borderline mean spirited to get points across. And some just want to vent and cross the line and throw insults and expletives thinking that’s the only way to communicate their points. Again ... it won’t happen. So messages boards like this one are so popular for fans of every sport to discuss and vent. Just another part of the “sports entertainment” realm. Just my take ...

• Like (+1) 1

I stopped watching when they started losing consistently.  I'm not falling for the same ***** I did last year.  Call me bandwagon but the truth is I refuse to invest time in watching a team that can't function as a team and/or shows a lack of effort/heart or whatever the ***** it is.  Same ***** different coach.  Josh Allen might suck ass in the long run but the dude seems passionate, bought in, ready to work, and ready to do whatever it takes to win.  I don't see that in Eichel.  I don't see that in this team.  Blow it the ***** up for all I care.  I may be blind to the nuances of hockey but I think I know when people don't give a ***** and that sure is what I'm seeing.  I might be wrong.  Whatever.  All I know is this team is not fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 4

Well, there has been a building project of this magnitude, before.  AND, it’s been expressed in words.   Responding to the OP, I propose ...

In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth,
the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.
Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

and so on, and so on ....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Very nice, Neo. You are a good writer. Here's something I came up with. I'm not sure if it's very good though.

When in the course of hockey events, it becomes necessary for one fanbase to dissolve the bands which have connected them with its owner, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Hockey and of Hockey Gods entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, inkman said:

Stop giving them your money.  That's how change happens.  

In most markets true.  This close to Canada, maybe not.  Canadians from large markets will still invade the arena and the ones from small towns will by tickets to watch their favorite players from Juniors. 

We have never sucked for longer than 3 years until this decade of sucking.  The common denominator is Pegula.  

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Very nice, Neo. You are a good writer. Here's something I came up with. I'm not sure if it's very good though.

When in the course of hockey events, it becomes necessary for one fanbase to dissolve the bands which have connected them with its owner, and to assume among the powers of the hockey community, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Hockey and of Hockey Gods entitle them, a decent respect to the patience and breaking point of such requires that fanbase should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Made a couple revisions.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Can't disagree, but I also know this rarely happens. Fans are starved for entertainment and jump back on the bandwagon easily.

I do wonder about expectations and where the bar gets set and the culture and all that. Buffalo does seem to have a very low bar. Give you an example. I caught a little of the Ottawa Boston game tonight and the Canadian announcers were talking about Boston beating Montreal 8-1 the night before. After the game Cassidy was asked something and his response to the 8-1 win was that he felt the team hadn't played that well, had made many mistakes they needed to work on and they were fortunate Montreal hadn't taken advantage of those mistakes. Can you ever imagine Buffalo winning a game 8-1 and having their coach not gush with praise? Heck, I've heard positive comments from JBot, Housley, now Krueger for games we lose. Point being, the bar in Buffalo has been set very very low and the team performs accordingly.

Coaching in Buffalo right now is a career killer.  Until we get better players, the right kind of players, the losing will continue. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

<strikes Scotty over the back of the head with a lead candlestick>

And to think PA, hosting turkey day, 36 family coming over today so the Mrs. And I were busy last night, I only had 2 or 3 drinks. Now you can see why I refrain from starting my own threads lol. Lord have mercy if I really tie one on through this ***** show.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

In most markets true.  This close to Canada, maybe not.  Canadians from large markets will still invade the arena and the ones from small towns will by tickets to watch their favorite players from Juniors. 

We have never sucked for longer than 3 years until this decade of sucking.  The common denominator is Pegula.  

We all thought the ownership was a blessing, I now believe it is a curse.  No end in sight is the frustrating part.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The sole reason for all of this is the misguided decision to tank 2+ years.

The tank was a crap shoot at best and it failed.  The first attempted rebuild failed and here we are in a very slow climb out of the depths.

That is all I have to say.  It's Thanksgiving, after all.

• Like (+1) 2

I've checked out. One of the only things my father and I bond over is hockey. I'm visiting them for the holidays and he asked if I wanted to watch the game last night with him and I just said 'What's the point? You know how it'll end." and he nodded and we just went our separate ways for the evening. I have never turned down watching a game with him. But I didn't even regret it. After all, what's the point?

Edited by StuckinFL

I did not watch the Calgary game.   I am visiting family in Dallas for Thanksgiving.  I could have streamed it but why distract myself from people I love.  

I missed another mediocre performance and another home loss.  The wheels are falling off. 

I will be at the Bills Cowboys game.  

• Like (+1) 2

Here is a little piece of advice I will pass onto Jason Botterill.

"It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time for action has passed."

-Carl von Clausewitz

41 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I did not watch the Calgary game.   I am visiting family in Dallas for Thanksgiving.  I could have streamed it but why distract myself from people I love.  

I missed another mediocre performance and another home loss.  The wheels are falling off. 

It was actually a good, entertaining game IMO but of course you made the right choice and really didn't miss a thing.

Have fun at the football game!

• Like (+1) 1

We've discussed the tear down & tank & years of suck ad nauseum for years now. This Thanksgiving the one thing i can be thankful for is not thinking about that today. Ownership on down thru our team & city knows the fans are sick of losing & that we've had enough of it. I'm 100% confident that this is no secret lol. So I don't see a manifesto as something thats needed, but if it floats your boat go for it.

In the meantime spend time with your family & try to enjoy it. Happy Thanksgiving SS ?

47 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Enjoy the game, GO BILLS!

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The tank was a crap shoot at best and it failed.  The first attempted rebuild failed and here we are in a very slow climb out of the depths.

That is all I have to say.  It's Thanksgiving, after all.

We only tanked 2 years IMO, and got Reinhart and Eichel in exchange, who are arguably the 2 best players on the team.

We than fell into the Dahlin pick, not as a result of tanking deliberately, but he is likely to be the next big player on the team as well. 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the tanking failed.  It actually did exactly what we hoped for.  It could have gone slightly better if we had been luckier and gotten McDavid, but that wasn't our fault.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Here is a little piece of advice I will pass onto Jason Botterill.

"It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time for action has passed."

-Carl von Clausewitz

Can you pass that onto the Sabres' power play, Olofsson with an empty net, forwards on odd-man rushes etc.?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I can't agree with this because the team wasn't any good before the tank and that's why the decision to tank was an easy one. 

The problem is bad drafting, bad trades, and wasting (trading away) draft picks. Armia, Compher, Lemieux......."soft" issue solved right there. Reinhart not Draisaitl. Lehner. On and on, lots of bad decisions. We could have still tanked without tossing away Halak (never understood that one on any level) but overall it's a long list of bad decisions.

In theory, some of Murray's decisions seemed to make sense (ROR as your top more two way C to go along with your offensive youngster be it McDavid or Eichel), get a top goalie, add a tough power forward goal scorer to play beside your offensive young stud.......it doesn't seem like a crazy plan, but they were clearly the wrong choices.

Given what happened with Lehner, and ROR driving into that Tim Horton's intoxicated, Risto this summer speeding, and a few other rumors about attitudes I sometimes wonder if there isn't a larger substance abuse issue(s) in this locker room. When the Ottawa story came out about Bobby Ryan, suddenly his terrible play made a whole lot of sense and it got me wondering if maybe we have some of that hidden on our roster. It would explain a lot. 

But no, the tank in and of itself is/was not the problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.