What would you advise TP to do?

nfreeman

What would you do if you were advising TP?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. OK, TP calls you and says he needs advice on fixing the Sabres. What would you tell him?

• Wait until the end of the season, soberly evaluate the situation, and decide at that point.
    • Do not fire JB now, but immediately find and hire a Lamoriello type as hockey czar, with the czar in charge of overseeing and evaluating JB, and if necessary finding JB's replacement.
    • Immediately fire JB and hire a Lamoriello type as hockey czar, with the czar in charge of finding a new GM and overseeing the GM thereafter.
    • Immediately fire JB and name RK as hockey czar, so RK is in charge of finding a new GM and overseeing the GM thereafter.
    • Immediately fire JB and hire a replacement GM with experience and a good track record, so the new GM has the rest of this season to evaluate the team and plan for the offseason.
  2. 2. TP then asks you why things seem to be working out for the Bills but not the Sabres. How do you explain it? (You can choose more than 1 factor here.)

• TP chose the right top guy to build and lead the franchise for the Bills in McD, but whiffed twice for the Sabres in TM and JB.
    • The Sabres tanked and the Bills didn't, so the Sabres had a much higher mountain to climb, both in terms of reconstructing the team and in shedding the loser mindset..
    • The Bills' roster has been constructed to find guys who play with heart and togetherness, but the Sabres' roster has not.
    • The Sabres have given big contracts to, and haven't unloaded, guys who either don't produce (Leino, Moulson, KO) or don't provide leadership (Ehrhoff, ROR, Eichel), while the Bills have dumped guys like that (Dareus, McCoy, Watkins).
    • The Sabres have made a number of bad trades in which they've parted with valuable assets and not gotten much back (Lehner, E. Kane, ROR), while the Bills haven't done so.
    • The Bills have a better home-field advantage than the Sabres do because football crowds are naturally bigger and louder than hockey crowds.
  3. 3. TP then asks you, a passionate Sabres fan, whether he should sell the team. What do you say?

• Yes
    • No

Nice post and poll, nfreeman. I had to chuckle though. I've been writing this kind of stuff for over eight years! I'm not really sure I even have to post any thoughts, since everyone knows them by now. In summary, hire good people and get out of the way. TaroT is still waiting for a faceoff to Dom's left, and I'm still waiting for Terry to do those two simple things. I'm honestly not sure which of us will see our dream come true first.

Suggestions: you and Kim go sit in the spots in KBC akin to where the Knoxes sat at the Aud. It would be a strong signal that we're with the fans, not up top with the VIPs, and we're not meddling, at least not during the game. (Does Terry still not text?) Also, getting out of the way doesn't mean being invisible to your staff and players. Do what John Rigas did a few times. Go stand by the bench during the anthems. Then am-scray. Like the Knoxes, pop in the dressing room after a big win or, as Rob said the Knoxes were famous for, after a big loss. (Terry may already do the latter, of course.)

Finally, wrap your mind around what to do if this season is officially in the dumpster. I like the idea of making a move before the end of the season, in order to fast-forward the fixes. But at the very least, take TaroT's advice and form that advisory committee. I always thought Scotty Bowman would be a great person to call on. This time, if it comes to it, please — don't rely on the NHL offices or Jim ***** Rutherford.

• Like (+1) 1

i don't post on here very often but i do read on here a lot. I just needed to vent to a bunch of people who probably feel the same way. I love Hockey and I love the Sabres but find myself not even turning on the games anymore. Im sick of watching this soft team come out with no hop in their step and no passion for the game. Im sick of seeing players get destroyed with dirty hits and teammates sit around with their thumbs up their *****. I for one am more than ready to see JB fired. Hes done nothing worth an argument to keep his job. Im not saying trade everyone im just saying when teams have droughts like we do and he does nothing it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He has shown no ability to get the job done and has shown me nothing to show this team has any positive direction going forward. IT LOOKS LIKE THE SAME MINDLESS EFFORTS WE WERE GETTIGN OUT OF BYLSMA, AND HOUSLEY COACHED TEAMS.  Not sure if Kruger is any better. I thought his strong suit was motivating players. PFFFFF they haven't looked motivated to me at all. I think O'rielly had it right he lost his love of the game and i think 90% of this roster has too. Luckily for him he said it publicly and got out. I don't think we have enough talent to play for the cup but, as a fan, id like to see my team play like they actually wan tot be at the rink. A lot of us would love to be doing what they are doing instead of our crap jobs.

that's all for now. I feel a little better after venting but still probably wont bother turning the game on tonight. Happy Thanksgiving all!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Regarding the selling of the team question, the right answer is "YES" assuming it is not difficult to find someone committed to keeping the team in Buffalo.

The greatest impact any single decision or event could have on this franchise would be a change of ownership.

It is no different than when the Bills were stuck in aging Ralph Wilson Limbo for a couple decades.

Until ownership changed, NOTHING was going to change with the Bills.

I preached that for years and years and it was correct.

Pegula doesn't have a clue, and when an organization goes through this many changes while remaining crap, the only answer is ownership.

Edited by Kruppstahl
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Fire Botterill yesterday...he's done nothing more than Murray and no longer deserves another kick at the can, especially with so much cap space coming up.

The Bills hired the right guys, the Sabres didn't.

Yes, PLEASE, sell the Sabres...I want owners who care.

"The Sabres have made a number of bad trades in which they've parted with valuable assets and not gotten much back (Lehner, E. Kane, ROR), while the Bills haven't done so.'

How does that have so many votes? The Bills got rid of Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Gilmore, Dareus, and several others, while getting nothing of value in return.

The poll doesn't hit on the single most important factor between the Bills and Sabres IMO.

Namely, for the most part, the NFL does not have guaranteed contracts whereas the NHL does.

It was very easy for McBeane to quickly evaluate the dead wood and simply cut them from the team.

You can't operate that way, unfortunately, in the NHL.  Half the Sabres roster (at least) shouldn't be here but are here because of CBA related complications.

The single greatest thing the league could do to improve regular season hockey would be to lock out the players (yet again!) and not budge until guaranteed contracts are eliminated from the game.

The league is now filled with underachieving millionaires who have become entitled and realize they do not need to work too hard for their pay checks.

We have a boat load of them on the Sabres.

Edited by Kruppstahl
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

The poll doesn't hit on the single most important factor between the Bills and Sabres IMO.

Namely, for the most part, the NFL does not have guaranteed contracts whereas the NHL does.

It was very easy for McBeane to quickly evaluate the dead wood and simply cut them from the team.

You can't operate that way, unfortunately, in the NHL.  Half the Sabres roster (at least) shouldn't be here but are here because of CBA related complications.

The single greatest thing the league could do to improve regular season hockey would be to lock out the players (yet again!) and not budge until guaranteed contracts are eliminated from the game.

The league is now filled with underachieving millionaires who have become entitled and realize they do not need to work too hard for their pay checks.

We have a boat load of them on the Sabres.

This might not be a popular opinion in this climate, but I can't think of a single Sabre that I would accuse of not playing their hardest as often as they can, within reason - ie, everyone has a lazy shift here or there, and some players are hardwired to do it less often than others. But I don't think a single Sabre tries their hardest less than is acceptable.

• Like (+1) 3

On 11/26/2019 at 10:48 AM, Randall Flagg said:

I ask him where Jason is on the trade front - this team is still some injury luck and the RIGHT good trade away from exciting March hockey and a just-miss of the playoffs, with things pointing in the right direction and fans feeling good. If Jason's hands are tied and everyone knows he's backed into a corner and so won't give him anything of value, since they don't have to, it's time to move on from Jason, as it's unforgivable to have this roster right now with no way out, and with teams actively trying to keep us here, using our own situation as leverage against us. That's just never an acceptable situation to blunder yourself into. However, if things are moving and I like the sound of what's coming, I'd tell him to let that play out, and then judge where the team is at the end of the season. 

This is very well stated. 

It's why I'm comfortable putting the playoff-bubble expectation on this GM and this team for this year, his 3rd full season as GM. It's not exactly a high standard. and all "ifs" "ands" and "buts" aside, it's enough time to accomplish that goal if you are a competent GM. It's about timeline, like I always say. There will always be excuses and reasons one can point to at any given time for why things aren't or even can't be better. But at some point actual results need to be expected or else what are we even doing here? 3 seasons is enough time to field a team that is competing for a playoff spot into March and April, regardless of extenuating circumstances. That's the job. 

- - - 

A good follow up poll would be what result, if any, on the season would compel you to want to cut bait with the GM. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sell the team and go away. Maybe he can go down in history as the only owner to never have gone to the playoffs.

That really is something.

He made it his first year.

Sorry Swamp

It's poetic. It allowed us to witness the greatness of Leino, leading to signing him, leading to the tank, leading to today. 

Edited by Thorny

17 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That playoff run can't be counted as his tenure, can it? That team bottomed out at 14-18-4 in December, and had already started the run, going 13-5-2 from that point to the day he bought the team. He didn't really touch anything until the offseason right?

Had they won the cup, who's name would have gone on the Cup? (Owners get their name on it, right?) It was his team, I'd say he experienced a post-season while he owned the Club. 

Interestingly, it must have been framed a lot that their turn around that year coincided with him coming aboard cause I would have thought he bought the team right around then just on memory, not well into the run like you pointed out. 

Edited by Thorny

36 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And this is the Sabres right at the cap. That fact doesn't get a lot of attention. It's pretty remarkable to me.

Exactly. It was one thing 4-5 years ago being at the bottom of the standings when we had lots of draft picks and tons of cap space. Remember when a lot of people actually worried how Murray would even get to the cap floor? Lol. 

Now what is the Sabres excuse for another bottom of standings season? No picks stockpiled. No available cap room. Things are even WORSE than they were 5 years ago. Let that seep into everyone’s heads for a minute. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

How about this: A team constructed under the ownership of Terry Pegula has never made the playoffs

Terry Pegula makes freaking Charles Wang look like Mike Illitch in comparison. And if anyone is going to try with the "Terry saved the team" narrative (which isn't true, but that's besides the point) than you must also believe John Spano was a great owner because he negotiated and signed the cable deal that is the reason the Isles still exist.

The scatter of responses shows how hard it is to know what to do about the team.

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

How about this: A team constructed under the ownership of Terry Pegula has never made the playoffs

Well, he does on the Bills, and they did make the playoffs year before last...

Well Terry...biggest night out of the year, former Buffalonians in from all over the country, and your paid attendance is 1,200 below capacity, and who knows how many people who had tix decided to do something else on this night.

At least with all the Leafs fans on Friday, the arena should be electric, unlike the morgue it usually is...THANKS TO THE PRODUCT ON THE ICE.  ?

On 11/27/2019 at 12:43 AM, OhMyDahlin said:

Yes, PLEASE, sell the Sabres...I want owners who care.

How does that have so many votes? The Bills got rid of Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Gilmore, Dareus, and several others, while getting nothing of value in return.

The Pegulas spent a lot of money to not care. 

Among others, Watkins, Woods, and Gilmore were free agents who walked.  I believe it happens in pro sports.

How about show up for a few @#$%^! games IN PERSON.  He should be in the building for a game like today, so he can see how bad things have gotten....so many Leaf fans present...he should see/hear all this and hopefully be embarrassed by how many there are in his own team's barn.

Showing up for the Bills game is Dallas seems to be worth his time, but I question if he cares that much about the Sabres.  How about being present more so that the team and the fans can see that he gives a @#$%!

On 11/27/2019 at 11:00 AM, PASabreFan said:

Nice post and poll, nfreeman. I had to chuckle though. I've been writing this kind of stuff for over eight years! I'm not really sure I even have to post any thoughts, since everyone knows them by now. In summary, hire good people and get out of the way. TaroT is still waiting for a faceoff to Dom's left, and I'm still waiting for Terry to do those two simple things. I'm honestly not sure which of us will see our dream come true first.

Suggestions: you and Kim go sit in the spots in KBC akin to where the Knoxes sat at the Aud. It would be a strong signal that we're with the fans, not up top with the VIPs, and we're not meddling, at least not during the game. (Does Terry still not text?) Also, getting out of the way doesn't mean being invisible to your staff and players. Do what John Rigas did a few times. Go stand by the bench during the anthems. Then am-scray. Like the Knoxes, pop in the dressing room after a big win or, as Rob said the Knoxes were famous for, after a big loss. (Terry may already do the latter, of course.)

Finally, wrap your mind around what to do if this season is officially in the dumpster. I like the idea of making a move before the end of the season, in order to fast-forward the fixes. But at the very least, take TaroT's advice and form that advisory committee. I always thought Scotty Bowman would be a great person to call on. This time, if it comes to it, please — don't rely on the NHL offices or Jim ***** Rutherford.

Bowman was my 1st Choice, but he's been an advisor to the Hawks since Stan took over the GM reins there.  Doubt he's available to help the Sabres too.  Figured Meehan would be an adequate substitute for that role.

And agree that the NHL Office is NOT our source to figure this out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.