Jack Eichel: Eliteness

LGR4GM

37 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

In case you still haven't figured it out, THIS is why we tanked.

I think a lot of fans had a hard time being patient enough to see what Jack would develop into. He certainly didn’t have the polished talent of McDavid right out of the gate. Personally, I find it much less stressing to just watch the game and let these kids grow into whomever they’re going to be.

20 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think a lot of fans had a hard time being patient enough to see what Jack would develop into. He certainly didn’t have the polish talent of McDavid right out of the gate. Personally, I find it much less stressing to just watch the game and let these kids grow into whomever they’re going to be.

I don't think either of them are Polish.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

We aren’t talking enough about how good Jack is in the defensive end. He’s also improved at face offs. 

He’s not just an elite offensive player, he’s an elite all-around player. 

No, he is only elite offensively.  But, he's very good back checking through the neutral zone and when he can figured out who his responsibility is to cover, he is good in his own end.  His only real weakness is when the other team is cycling hard and he has to try to cover space.  But, the coaches have been going with coverages that don't leave him trying to figure out who to cover as much as in past seasons.

And right now, the way he's playing in the other guy's end has him believing he'll get it right in his own end as well.  Success begets success just like failure becomes contagious.

He's fun to watch right now.  As is Olofsson.  And tonight, Reinhart seemed to have his game back too for the 1st time in a while.  (Though he had point in the past few games, they seemed to be coming despite his overall game, not because of it.)

And let's hope MacKinnon keeps excelling.  Jack continues to echo (and slightly amplify) his game. ?

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No, he is only elite offensively.  But, he's very good back checking through the neutral zone and when he can figured out who his responsibility is to cover, he is good in his own end.  His only real weakness is when the other team is cycling hard and he has to try to cover space.  But, the coaches have been going with coverages that don't leave him trying to figure out who to cover as much as in past seasons.

And right now, the way he's playing in the other guy's end has him believing he'll get it right in his own end as well.  Success begets success just like failure becomes contagious.

He's fun to watch right now.  As is Olofsson.  And tonight, Reinhart seemed to have his game back too for the 1st time in a while.  (Though he had point in the past few games, they seemed to be coming despite his overall game, not because of it.)

And let's hope MacKinnon keeps excelling.  Jack continues to echo (and slightly amplify) his game. ?

No, I'm not saying he's elite defensively. I'm saying he's overall an elite player. His defence is certainly good enough for him to be considered an elite player overall, rather than just an elite offensive player. It's not holding him back in that sense, whereas if a player was called simply "elite offensively" the connotation there is that the player isn't simply "elite". Which Jack is. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

No, I'm not saying he's elite defensively. I'm saying he's overall an elite player. His defence is certainly good enough for him to be considered an elite player overall, rather than just an elite offensive player. 

Thanks for the clarification.  My bad.

?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Another "respect" goal tonight.  He is playing with such confidence at both ends.  He even made the save of the night at the goal mouth.

Well, what’s his name certainly respected the fact Jack twisted him inside out, and the goalie respected what can only be termed a world class short-side snipe. That looked like it was shot-put electronically. 

It’s good to see that he is playing to his potential through this stretch.  My main concern with Jack was, you knew this was in him, but he’d only put it on display in flashes. This team has seen that kind of player before.  They don’t lead you to the promised land.  What he’s doing now takes a real commitment to the effort, and Jack is showing that in spades.

Early in this thread I said he has the skill set to be elite but what was holding him back is between his ears.  I don’t know if RaKru is a Jack whisperer, or if Jack just decided he wanted to be the difference maker.  But he’s been elite since early November.

He’ll own this city if he maintains it.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Where did you get this?

https://theathletic.com/1457313/2019/12/13/news-of-zach-bogosians-trade-request-shocks-a-surging-sabres-team/

Eichel, who is closer to Bogosian than anyone, had no idea until being informed of the report after his two-goal game.

“Zach’s been my best friend since I met him,” Eichel said in KeyBank Center. “You never want to imagine your best friend leaving you. It’s tough to think about.”

The captain, though, gathered his thoughts.

“It’s an important year for him, obviously, and his family. He’s in a contract year,” Eichel said.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.