GDT 11/25 Sabres @ Lightning 7pm et. Msg-b

miles

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

In two straight seasons Jason has been content to let desperate, alarming "situations and scenarios" like this one fester for indefinite amounts of time.

I'm not sure when he decided but I've said for a while he pinpointed next year (for real this time, I guess? ) as the target for actually competing for the playoffs. Have to worry that timeline will have passed itself by from waiting too long, once we eventually get there. 

I just can't see a big move being on the way. Wasn't end of November the latest supposed target for when we'd see something happen? That particular goal post has been pushed back since April, numerous times. Not gonna happen.

Edited by Thorny

The lack of response in these scenarios has been going on since Lucic ran Miller. 

How long ago was that?

I don’t expect a team full of goons in 2019, but I expect a team to care about a teammate who took a cheap hit and respond. In some sort of way. And not in the Drew Stafford pretending to fight Lucic a month later way. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Fire Krueger 

Krueger absolutely, objectively should have flew off the handle a bit there. But I think it's clear the organization from the top down doesn't put much stock in those things. They've gone with an entirely different mantra.

Just now, Thorny said:

Krueger absolutely, objectively should have flew off the handle a bit there. But I think it's clear the organization from the top down doesn't put much stock in those things. They've gone with an entirely different mantra.

Apparently the Sabres motto is "don't rock the boat" 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Apparently the Sabres motto is "don't rock the boat" 

We were told, not being privy to their internal thought process, that we needed to accept that Sobotka belonged in the lineup. That Ristolainen needs to play more than everyone else. These are just things this organization does, and their philosophy in approaching the emotional side of things is in the same vein: it's not going to change, it's who they are. 

They do indeed see things differently, both in the players they choose to value on ice and how they approach things off it. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We were told, not being privy to their internal thought process, that we needed to accept that Sobotka belonged in the lineup. That Ristolainen needs to play more than everyone else. These are just things this organization does, and their philosophy in approaching the emotional side of things is in the same vein: it's not going to change, it's who they are. 

They do indeed see things differently. 

Then the fans should stop paying for the product.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It funny.  They are short-handed with injuries.  They already have a talent disadvantage at forward and most games in the net.  

They play a good game in Boston.  They beat a better Florida team on the road.  Tonight night they are hanging in there with Tampa, outplaying them in the second.   Then the cheap hit happens and no call.  

Prior to the start of the 3rd period every player and coach know Dahlin is seriously hurt.  I get they are running out of legs but they roll over in the 3rd. Poor special teams.  No body checks.  No energy.  Their goalie starts acting like a jerk.

They got bounced around right up to the final horn.   

All the signs of a team quitting were on display after Dahlin’s hit.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Perhaps because it's been a long time that "winning" hasn't been a focal point. 

It really boils down to this. This makes everything Jason has said and done make sense. They don't think they're "ready" yet, whatever that means. 

And no franchise wins without being hell-bent on doing so, letting that desire drive every individual decision, from top to bottom.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

What Lindy’s answer be to that question? Time to put the Instigators back on the ice.

that is correct. this team has nowhere near the talent to win without tough,intimidating players.

we could have the next 3 number one picks in the draft and still suck. this team needs an overhaul.

3 minutes ago, calti said:

that is correct. this team has nowhere near the talent to win without tough,intimidating players.

we could have the next 3 number one picks in the draft and still suck. this team needs an overhaul.

We did. We brought in Sheary and Vesey and whoever else. And drafted Mitts who can’t hit the net in a point blank shot. 

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

If Terry was a true Buffalonian, he'd be close to an Aneurysm right now.  The ONE THING that a Buffalo team cannot be is soft.  PERIOD.  

Terry was a Chet going waaaaay back. Who sips wine at hockey games and doesn't cheer when his team scores?

27 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It really boils down to this. This makes everything Jason has said and done make sense. They don't think they're "ready" yet, whatever that means. 

And no franchise wins without being hell-bent on doing so, letting that desire drive every individual decision, from top to bottom.

The genesis of all this is Terry's notion of building a dynasty, so he can be another Ilitch or something. Win a Cup, and then win another one. Almost a direct quote from 2011 (or maybe 2010, as I think it was John Murphy who talked to Terry in State College and reported that quote). And here's a quote from 2013. "It's not about making the playoffs... not about just making the playoffs." Darcy. In Terry's mind, this fantastic soup he is cooking up will allow us to feast for decades. Meanwhile others are popping Campbell's in the microwave and doing just fine. You need no more evidence than how Botterill and Pegula shat upon the 10-game winning streak last season. We'll probably hear something along the same lines later on to justify no moves this time around. Finally, there's the golden oldy: "There are 30 other teams in this league trying to win the Cup. Winning in the NHL is hard."

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The lack of response in these scenarios has been going on since Lucic ran Miller. 

How long ago was that?

I don’t expect a team full of goons in 2019, but I expect a team to care about a teammate who took a cheap hit and respond. In some sort of way. And not in the Drew Stafford pretending to fight Lucic a month later way. 

I think that was Gaustad who “avenged” Miller with Lucic, even though he and Myers were in the ice for the original hit  

Stafford was a rookie and he went after Neil immediately after the hit on Drury.  Then all hell broke loose.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

What’s crazy is @GASabresIUFANcreated this thread yesterday.

You must have ESPN or something.

I’ve been pissed about the hit to Drury for years and the Arvidsson hit and now the hit on Dahlin is just continued NHL BS.  How the hit on Dahlin wasn’t a penalty is beyond me.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I've said it before and I will say it again. The only way to fix this team is to dismantle it, build one full of toughness first and then add the high end talent bit by bit year after year. Those people will know they are protected, will feel protected, and you will have the culture you need. In effect, you will be Boston - and you will win.

This team is useless, and it won't get any better any time soon.

But hey, Vesey scored..................

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.