Ending cheap shots in the NHL

GASabresIUFAN

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You didn't watch the playoffs last year? Year before? You haven't seen all of Toronto's big shot talent fall to Boston 2 years in a row? 

It's not about having "a team full of........" it's about having a balanced roster with skill players mixed with tough players and having a team that sticks together where players feel protected and thus unified and will give that extra and pay the price because they know another guy out there has their back.

Look at the way Boston handled a guy like Krug. Little guy with skill could have gotten run out of the league early but they paired him with first Chara and then Carlo and he grew up (so to speak) strong and fearless and will drop 'em if he has to and plays with fire and intensity. Fearless, cause he's a Bruin, and they have each other's backs. It's a philosophy. It 's hockey. It wins. 

Correct. A mix. So the fans crying about a “complete” overhaul. Or crying about wanting another “tank” season to draft high end talent. Or crying about wanting another rebuild.... is that a good logical, well thought out and reasonable philosophy/goal to aim for? No. No it’s not. Like .. at all.

This team doesn’t need fighters like the names I mentioned. That’s a dead position as you already know. Two maybe three character guys who score and play with grit are needed. Not a ZOMG overhaul the entire roster ahhhh! Some fans want to go load up a team full of “guys who will pound the lights” out of anyone who daaaaares cross us!!! Meanwhile, a well balanced team, A well mixed team will run circles around them. That’s why two maybe three guys in the vein of a Wilson or Tkachuk would propel this team with an injection of grit, character and just enough ”toughness” to be more formidable. That mindset, that personality will be contagious to some of the current roster. You don’t need half your roster full of em. Not in today’s NHL. I hope JB acquires one or two. But not at the expense of our core. That would be a sophomoric move.

Edited by Zamboni

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Correct. A mix. So the fans crying about a “complete” overhaul. Or crying about wanting another “tank” season to draft high end talent. Or crying about wanting another rebuild.... is that a good logical, well thought out and reasonable philosophy/goal to aim for? No. No it’s not. Like .. at all.

This team doesn’t need fighters like the names I mentioned. That’s a dead position as you already know. Two maybe three character guys who score and play with grit are needed. Not a ZOMG overhaul the entire roster ahhhh! Some fans want to go load up a team full of “guys who will pound the lights” out of anyone who daaaaares cross us!!! Meanwhile, a well balanced team, A well mixed team will run circles around them. That’s why two maybe three guys in the vein of a Wilson or Tkachuk would propel this team with an injection of grit, character and just enough ”toughness” to be more formidable. That mindset, that personality will be contagious to some of the current roster. You don’t need half your roster full of em. Not in today’s NHL. I hope JB acquires one or two. But not at the expense of our core. That would be a sophomoric move.

I don't fully disagree with you, far from it, but I don't think adding a few character guys will do it at this point. In order to change the culture a larger switch (and maybe a step backwards briefly) is required. So you need to add 5, maybe 6 of those gritty character guys so that every line can have at least one on it and you need them to feed off of each other. Adding 1 or 2 is likely to just make those guys ask themselves why do I put myself out there when the rest of these guys do nothing? 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't fully disagree with you, far from it, but I don't think adding a few character guys will do it at this point. In order to change the culture a larger switch (and maybe a step backwards briefly) is required. So you need to add 5, maybe 6 of those gritty character guys so that every line can have at least one on it and you need them to feed off of each other. Adding 1 or 2 is likely to just make those guys ask themselves why do I put myself out there when the rest of these guys do nothing? 

And like I said I think it would be probably be contagious thru the locker room with a few who are already on the roster. So the one or two “gritty” new players, may in fact turn into 4, 5, 6 or more players playing that way as a team. So we agree it’s needed. Just not the size of the overhaul. Fair enough.

• Like (+1) 1

It's as simple as this. Until the suspensions are meaningful, stuff like the what happened to dahlin will continue to happen. obvious shots to the head resulting in injury should be 5 to 7 games minimum and double for each following incident. After a certain amount of incidents it becomes 1 year vacation.

I'm not saying every little hit, but ones which look like the intent to injure, head shots, elbows,  checks to the head and neck area. 

2 games on cernak is not good enough 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.