Gilmour Clears Waivers

Brawndo

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Right now we have 8 defensemen with NHL capability, plus Gilmour and don't forget Borgen.  

Fine, so he's fixed defense.  But he still gets a D grade with the forwards.  Maybe he's waiting for next year when most of the bad contracts come off.

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Botterill has been far from effective but the criticism for having to waive Gilmour was bizarre. 

Gilmour is better off in the AHL playing every game, the Amerks can use him and If we need him he is there. 

Right now we have 8 defensemen with NHL capability, plus Gilmour and don't forget Borgen.  

And Pilut and Nelson.

Not sure when the last time was that a team arguably had 12 NHL D-men but only 10 NHL Forwards.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

And Pilut and Nelson.

Not sure when the last time was that a team arguably had 12 NHL D-men but only 10 NHL Forwards.

Yes, I forgot Pilot and Nelson. 

12 d-men.  Gilmour and Nelson are at best 6-7 ‘s in the NHL.  Pilut and Borgen could be legit though.  

You might argue that we have 8 forwards.  Sobotka, Okposo, ERod, Vessey need to be immediately improved upon.   

We really need to need Cozens to be something. Hopefully he develops faster than Mitts.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

And Pilut and Nelson.

Sorry, but Nelson is rubbish and Pilut is only a maybe NHLer. 

I suspect the sentiment that he will try to bring in forwards via free agency when the bad contracts are gone is the most likely. Remains to be seen if he can do it. 

No one will like this (including me) but I imagine the long term plan that'd make the most sense would be to unload Sobotka, Bogo, Scandella, Vesey (more) for picks and prospects towards the deadline and then next year Cozens steps in along with 2+ free agents. More likely though Risto will be traded, but the return won't be good enough and it'll be a mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/23/2019 at 4:51 PM, Kruppstahl said:

You hit on an interesting point.

Is Botterill so paralyzed with fear and indecision resulting from the ROR roster ruination that he is literally now incapable of pulling the trade trigger?

At the same time, it is highly likely that opposing GMs are going to now negotiate with him with intensified toughness, demanding unrealistically favorable terms in the belief that Botterill has no clue what he is doing, and that a good deal is to be had when dealing with Buffalo.

Combine these two factors and perhaps we should not be surprised that Botterill has sat on his hands for so long. 

I wonder if the guy is damaged goods at this point from this perspective.  I.E., the ROR incident broke Botterill.

If so, Pegula might want to think about acquiring a new GM, assuming he wasn't thinking about that anyway.

He traded for Montour well after ROR was gone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.