Gilmour Clears Waivers

Brawndo

Are the Sabres maxed out on roster spots?  With the IR situation Gilmour could probably have stayed, innit?  Maybe they're moving him down to get him playing time.

1 minute ago, Hank said:

Shocked

I'm not.  He's a JAG defenseman.  I'm guessing that teams with defensive injuries are looking for more than that.  They already have their own JAGs.

Edited by Doohickie

He's passed through the planetary shield and is landing at the data vault at Scarif Rochester now. He'll commence operations soon.

Gilmour is a borderline NHL D; each team has them. It's good for the Amerks although he may be a little redundant with both Pilut and Redmond fully healthy again. Alas -- we're all fine here now.

Up in Buffalo, we still have 8 NHL-caliber D and someone needs to move for an impactful forward. But that's a story for another thread at another time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Weave said:

Lol

How many pages of wasted energy was spent on Gilmour consternation?

You’d think by now we’d be undervaluing or roster pieces, not overvaluing them.

I mean, I seriously wonder if 26 is going to be a good NHL defenseman.  Does that qualify?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Lol

How many pages of wasted energy was spent on Gilmour consternation?

You’d think by now we’d be undervaluing or roster pieces, not overvaluing them.

You hit on an interesting point.

Is Botterill so paralyzed with fear and indecision resulting from the ROR roster ruination that he is literally now incapable of pulling the trade trigger?

At the same time, it is highly likely that opposing GMs are going to now negotiate with him with intensified toughness, demanding unrealistically favorable terms in the belief that Botterill has no clue what he is doing, and that a good deal is to be had when dealing with Buffalo.

Combine these two factors and perhaps we should not be surprised that Botterill has sat on his hands for so long. 

I wonder if the guy is damaged goods at this point from this perspective.  I.E., the ROR incident broke Botterill.

If so, Pegula might want to think about acquiring a new GM, assuming he wasn't thinking about that anyway.

Just now, Tondas said:

I think Gilmour clearing is mostly due to his contract.  One way at $700K is much less appealing to other teams than a 2 way deal paying him $70k in the minors.

If I'm not mistaken, anyone claiming him has to put him on their NHL roster, so this is more of a statement of his desirability as an NHLer more than a statement of his one way contract.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Is Botterill so paralyzed with fear and indecision resulting from the ROR roster ruination that he is literally now incapable of pulling the trade trigger?

At the same time, it is highly likely that opposing GMs are going to now negotiate with him with intensified toughness, demanding unrealistically favorable terms in the belief that Botterill has no clue what he is doing, and that a good deal is to be had when dealing with Buffalo.

Combine these two factors and perhaps we should not be surprised that Botterill has sat on his hands for so long. 

I wonder if the guy is damaged goods at this point from this perspective.  I.E., the ROR incident broke Botterill.

If so, Pegula might want to think about acquiring a new GM, assuming he wasn't thinking about that anyway.

No.

I think Botterill is a nice in-between of Reiger and Murray.

He's not afraid to make a trade.

He doesn't over value *his* guys.

He doesn't need to win big.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

If I'm not mistaken, anyone claiming him has to put him on their NHL roster, so this is more of a statement of his desirability as an NHLer more than a statement of his one way contract.

Yep. Had he been claimed, if the claiming team tried to send him down within the next 30 days, the Sabres could take him back and put him in the minors themselves.

4 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

If Pegulah was thinking of hiring a new GM what are the chances he gets it right ? I don’t have much faith.

Botterill has been far from effective but the criticism for having to waive Gilmour was bizarre. 

Gilmour is better off in the AHL playing every game, the Amerks can use him and If we need him he is there. 

Right now we have 8 defensemen with NHL capability, plus Gilmour and don't forget Borgen.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I think you are ignoring the fact that Botterill has made several trades since the OReilly deal.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.