Roster Moves John Gilmour on Waivers, Sobotka to LTIR, Tage to IR, Bogo activated

Brawndo

22 hours ago, ... said:

This is so unbelievably stupid. If the concern is trying to create and/or maintain a rep for being fair to the players, they took a step back with this move.

Botterill has no idea what he's doing. He's trying to play checkers with the spare pieces that they include in case you lose one. The guy is an idiot. We have an idiot GM with his idiotically created roster and a coach hired by his idiot reasoning.

This boogles my mind.  Trying to maintain a rep for being fair to players?   Gilmour is a marginal NHL player.  The 8th defenseman on a team that is a perennial cellar dweller.  Bogosian makes him the 9th defenseman, so he gets waived.  They were fair to offer him an NHL contract.  Hoping he clears waivers and reports to Rochester but he may get picked up.  

If he gets picked up then what could be more fair than that? 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4

These roster moves are pretty standard.  I don’t know why people are getting worked up.

Gilmour is a 26 year old career AHL/fringe NHL guy.  He is on a one way contract.  I’m kind of doubtful that he gets claimed.

It’s absolutely normal that he would be waived in favor of veteran Bogosian, who really isn’t a bad player when healthy.

• Like (+1) 5

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

These roster moves are pretty standard.  I don’t know why people are getting worked up.

Gilmour is a 26 year old career AHL/fringe NHL guy.  He is on a one way contract.  I’m kind of doubtful that he gets claimed.

It’s absolutely normal that he would be waived in favor of veteran Bogosian, who really isn’t a bad player when healthy.

He will to go to another team as a fill in, I'm assuming that team has a great need and doesn't want to do a trade for a good player. He'll play for the next club till they are healthy then be sent down. 

It's the sum of his professional career. 

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Gilmour looked good and played when the team looked good.

What are you talking about man?  He played in 4 games and the team lost 3 of them.  I would argue the Washington and Minny games (even tho he was forward in the minny one) were two of the worst games this team has played all season.  So not really.  He has played ok and the team was horrendous in half of the games he’s been a part of.

Buffalos affection for fringe hockey players while constantly trying to run their stars out of town will never cease to amaze me.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

What are you talking about man?  He played in 4 games and the team lost 3 of them.  I would argue the Washington and Minny games (even tho he was forward in the minny one) were two of the worst games this team has played all season.  So not really.  He has played ok and the team was horrendous in half of the games he’s been a part of.

Buffalos affection for fringe hockey players while constantly trying to run their stars out of town will never cease to amaze me.

Tale as old as time.

Captained Team British Columbia to win the gold medal in ice hockey at the 2011 Canada Winter Games

During the 2011–12 season he helped his Edmonton Oil Kings team capture the Ed Chynoweth Cup as the WHL Champions

During the 2012–13 season he played with Team Canada to win a gold medal at the 2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament

Was given permission by the Senators to represent Team Canada at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship in which Canada would win gold. In the tournament Lazar served as the team captain

CFL. He ate that burger, too.

What team success has Jack ever had? What has he ever eaten off of the ice?

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Derrico said:

To be fair, Buffalo's inability to discern between a Johan Larsson and Vlad Sobotka, or a John Gilmour and a Casey Nelson, is also ever-prevalent, and makes a difference in games, even if on a smaller scale than the big boys. On a forum that covers the most minute details of a hockey season, the rancor that meets discussions of a potentially non-ideal waiver situation as a small but existent ripple effect from a poor roster construction and offseason is also surprising. 

Over the years, I've read literally hundreds of posts complaining about Casey Nelson. To accept that it's silly to talk about this on a forum that provides this level of discussion, I would also demand assurance that, should GIlmour have been claimed, I wouldn't see a single complaint about the inevitable use of Nelson or whatever depth defenseman we'd have gotten to eventually in his place. This is obviously unrealistic, because people will obviously complain about mediocre hockey, which I think is a good barometer for the fact that this discussion is reasonable/valid. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

By the way, is Johansson playing soon, or is this a classic Sabres "we expect him back maybe next week"-turned-8 week absence? 

They've made it sound like he'll be back tomorrow.  Which would explain sending Gilmour down as if Johansson has a setback then they've got Gilmour on a F line should any of Lazar, Asplund, or Mittelstadt have been sent down to make room for Bogosian & Mojo.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

To be fair, Buffalo's inability to discern between a Johan Larsson and Vlad Sobotka, or a John Gilmour and a Casey Nelson, is also ever-prevalent, and makes a difference in games, even if on a smaller scale than the big boys. On a forum that covers the most minute details of a hockey season, the rancor that meets discussions of a potentially non-ideal waiver situation as a small but existent ripple effect from a poor roster construction and offseason is also surprising. 

Over the years, I've read literally hundreds of posts complaining about Casey Nelson. To accept that it's silly to talk about this on a forum that provides this level of discussion, I would also demand assurance that, should GIlmour have been claimed, I wouldn't see a single complaint about the inevitable use of Nelson or whatever depth defenseman we'd have gotten to eventually in his place. This is obviously unrealistic, because people will obviously complain about mediocre hockey, which I think is a good barometer for the fact that this discussion is reasonable/valid. 

I love your contributions to this forum.  I also would like to consider myself fairly well educated.  Having said that, I had to look up the word ‘rancour’ as I’ve never read or heard that word in my life.  Going to have to start using that.  But I have also read this post five times now and I don’t have a clue at what you are trying to say here my friend. 

I agree that it is valid to question every move the organization makes.  Including the bottom guys.  However, there is no evidence I have seen in what Gilmore has done on the Sabres or throughout his career that justifies me caring in the least if he is claimed or not.  Is there something I’m (and apparently 30 other nhl franchises who passed on him) missing?  I’m still hoping beyond hope he doesn’t become a regular starter on this team.

Maybe it’s just me but I’m not worried about Nelson because he is behind all of the guys in Buffalo as well as Borgen and Pilut on the farm.  Nelson is the same way as Gilmore to me, if he starts playing regular minutes this team is in big trouble.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

To be fair, Buffalo's inability to discern between a Johan Larsson and Vlad Sobotka, or a John Gilmour and a Casey Nelson...

Remember when Casey Nelson first suited up for Buffalo and everyone thought he was in our top 4 moving forward after his first half dozen games.  I do.  Guess what?  He sucks.  Your Sobotka take has some merit as I feel we still haven't quite escaped the Jurassic period of the NHL.  Hopefully, that will change but I have my doubts.  

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Right. Why would we want someone deemed by the head coach as an "amazing" example of a player who bought into the system and was playing a solid role in the team's early success?

Maybe because the coach is a used-car salesman and we all have eyes?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.