Roster Moves John Gilmour on Waivers, Sobotka to LTIR, Tage to IR, Bogo activated

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Surprised if he does or doesn’t?

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I will be surprised that some team would have him as a top 6 on their team given he’s 9 or 10 on ours.

See edited. We fans have a long history of overvaluing guys we’ve had limited exposure too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

See edited. We fans have a long history of overvaluing guys we’ve had limited exposure too.

I'm pretty sure it was Botterill himself who said something about not wanting to expose Gilmour to waivers though. The fans didn't come up with the idea that he would get claimed.

• Like (+1) 1

This is so unbelievably stupid. If the concern is trying to create and/or maintain a rep for being fair to the players, they took a step back with this move.

Botterill has no idea what he's doing. He's trying to play checkers with the spare pieces that they include in case you lose one. The guy is an idiot. We have an idiot GM with his idiotically created roster and a coach hired by his idiot reasoning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

This is so unbelievably stupid. If the concern is trying to create and/or maintain a rep for being fair to the players, they took a step back with this move.

Botterill has no idea what he's doing. He's trying to play checkers with the spare pieces that they include in case you lose one. The guy is an idiot. We have an idiot GM with his idiotically created roster and a coach hired by his idiot reasoning.

I take it you are off the JBOT train lol.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ... said:

Trading for Skinner and giving up Pu and a 3rd was so terrible....what an idiot.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ... said:

This is so unbelievably stupid.

Waiving our ninth or 10th best defenceman, who is 26 and has played just 36 NHL games, who anyone could have had for a shade over $700,000 four months ago? When we are over the roster limit?

If Bogo and Pilut and Montour weren’t injured to start the year this would have happened in October and no one would have blinked. What have you seen in Gilmour’s five games that I missed?

Im confused.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Waiving our ninth or 10th best defenceman, who is 26 and has played just 36 NHL games, who anyone could have had for a shade over $700,000 four minutes the ago? When we are over the roster limit?

Im confused.

He may be referring to having so many defensemen while having such bad forwards that you have to risk losing a guy tailor-made for your system as 7D, giving the best performance in that role we've seen since ... ? 

Not the vacuum act of waiving John Gilmour by itself.

If he were to be gone, would you be shocked to be lamenting the 7D situation at some point before the season is over? If it were to turn into Casey Nelson again, after a trade and another Bogo injury or something?

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Trading for Skinner and giving up Pu and a 3rd was so terrible....what an idiot.

1) Skinner basically forced his way here because he wanted to be close to home and becoming a Leaf was impossible.

2) It was actually a second round pick that ended up 5 or so spots back from our massive haul in the ROR deal (and unlike ROR Skinner was headed to UFA and had no intention of staying so they had to trade him).

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

He may be referring to having so many defensemen while having such bad forwards that you have to risk losing a guy tailor-made for your system as 7D, giving the best performance in that role we've seen since ... ? 

Not the vacuum act of waiving John Gilmour by itself.

If he were to be gone, would you be shocked to be lamenting the 7D situation at some point before the season is over?

Not moving a defenceman for a forward in the 4 months since that has obviously been the plan is certainly lacking, if that’s what he means.

But as to the rest of it, I can’t recall a situation where losing a 7th defenceman has ever been worth more than a shrug, particularly when the 7D in question is hardly a prospect and probably no better than 9th on our depth chart.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not moving a defenceman for a forward in the 4 months since that has obviously been the plan is certainly lacking, if that’s what he means.

But as to the rest of it, I can’t recall a situation where losing a 7th defenceman has ever been worth more than a shrug, particularly when the 7D in question is hardly a prospect and probably no better than 9th on our depth chart.

He could also be looking at it from a lens of bending your decisions around the presence of Bogosian's play and availability over the last few years for some bizarre reason. 

But I've also watched enough Falk, Nelson (who I don't hate as much as others do), Antipin to be upset if Gilmour does get claimed. Not ranting upset, but like, "basic roster competence would have made it so this didn't have to happen" upset

Belichick doesn't shrug off fringe roster moves, or allow them to make his team even a fraction of a millimeter worse, and neither should we

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He could also be looking at it from a lens of bending your decisions around the presence of Bogosian's play and availability over the last few years for some bizarre reason. 

But I've also watched enough Falk, Nelson (who I don't hate as much as others do), Antipin to be upset if Gilmour does get claimed. Not ranting upset, but like, "basic roster competence would have made it so this didn't have to happen" upset

He’s made a decent impression on me too, but it’s five freaking games of sheltered use.

He’s certainly not better than Miller, who seems to be 7th on Ralph’s current chart. Then you have Bogosian who, when healthy, is a starter on most NHL teams. 

Is he really that much better than Pilut or Nelson if we have to play our #9 for more than a spot role in a dozen games?

Shrug.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

He’s made a decent impression on me too, but it’s five freaking games of sheltered use.

He’s certainly not better than Miller, who seems to be 7th on Ralph’s current chart. Then you have Bogosian who, when healthy, is a starter on most NHL teams. 

Is he really that much better than Pilut or Nelson if we have to play our #9 for more than a spot role of a dozen games?

Shrug.

Are we keeping all of these defensemen? It sure doesn't sound like it. If one of these trades goes down, then we're a better team for having one more player between us and Nelson. If we make a move, then we should have made it before we came into camp with no forwards and 10 NHL defensemen. Or before our forward roster ever got to this point in the first place.

The fact remains that it's a tiny, not super significant, but still existent consequence of something bigger about Botterill's roster construction that deserves the scrutiny it gets, and so it's with that perspective that the move will be talked about. Even if that move is waiving the 7D. Because details matter

Put another way, when I see "OH! Zach Bogosian is back and ready to play NHL hockey for the Buffalo Sabres, in addition to benching Scandella or Miller already out of sheer volume. So we have to waive John Gilmour" 

I don't think "wow our GM is savvy", or even "meh I couldn't care less," I think "what on earth are we doing, what is the plan here?" 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Put another way, when I see "OH! Zach Bogosian is back and ready to play NHL hockey for the Buffalo Sabres, in addition to benching Scandella or Miller already out of sheer volume. So we have to waive John Gilmour" 

I don't think "wow our GM is savvy", I think "what on earth are we doing, what is the plan here?" 

question asks GIF

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.