GDT: 11/21/19 Sabres @ Bruins, 7 p.m. EST, MSG WGR

LGR4GM

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Risto in front of the net is different than Reino in front of the net.  Risto is going to park himself in front and clobber anyone who tries to keep him away from the puck and push it into the net (like last night).  Reino will glide back and forth, creating screens, tipping the puck, collecting rebounds, and depending on the play, slide off to the side and dish to the slot.  Both are good ways to play the net-front, they're just different.

Yes!!!!!

Today Goaltender Moving Opportunity Charts, and as compared to Vegas

Where we are on season count, this is all of Buffalo's games, it's counting by fingers, so I might have missed a few, this is the passer of cross ice pass creating opportunites inside the circles.

Eichel 13
Dahlin 9
Johansson 8
Skinner 4
Okposo 4
Reinhart 4
Sobotka 3
Mittelstadt 4
Olofsson 4
Vesey 3
McCabe 3
Miller 3
Risto 2
Rodriguez 2
Sheary 1
Girgenssons 1
Thompson 1

And this is Vegas passers, but I've only done roughly 18 of their 22 games, so it's not complete

March 16
Stone 13
Pacioretti 11
Karlsson 9
Smith 9
Carrier 9
Eakin 7
Glass 6

Nov21BuffaloBoston.png

Nov21SanJoseVegas.png

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't care that we lost this game. If not for Rask and some bad luck we could have won. If we gave this sort of effort every night we would be a playoff team somewhere around where Florida is right now. Effort, makes a big difference. Where was this against the weak teams over the last stretch that we could have beaten?

Really impressed with Lazar's effort. He doesn't have the skill of some of our guys but I applaud him for going to the net and taking on a pretty tough guy in Wagner. Shows me heart and balls and we need a lot more of that in the lineup. I'd keep him around and hope it spreads. 

Krueger also earned some of his money putting Risto in front of the net. The old Scotty Bowman play when your team isn't big enough. I remember the havoc Larry Robinson did there and Risto can do the same. Speaks to a recognition of what I've been saying for years. Reinhart is not physical enough to be the front of the net guy and we need bigger stronger forwards. Until that day, why not Risto? Maybe Bogo. Big bodies to screen the goalie and make his life miserable. Good idea, long over due. 

Loss or not, for the first time this month I see a glimmer of hope. Play this way all the time and we will be better. 

lot of ifs in there...not sure how some are ok with the loss. I'm tired of watching them lose

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

He won't. He can't. It would prove once and for all he doesn't know what he's doing. It might even force him to hire a hockey czar and go sniff jocks at One Bills Drive.

I am already dreading the low camera angle in that arena.

Correct. I blame Jimmy ***** Vesey instead!

You should blame Jimmy Vesey for Jimmy Vesey's lack of offensive...anything. It's not Jack's fault Jimmy couldn't handle his cross-ice feed

Or Evan's shorthanded feed to spring him on a mini breakaway

Or ANY of the 2 on 1s he's been on this year, a higher number than any other Sabre, none of which led to a goal

When he was brought here by our GM who has no idea how to look for depth scorers aside from checking out the "ES Goal" column on hockey reference, to do exactly what nobody is doing so far on this team, provide depth scoring

Edited by Randall Flagg

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Do people forget or just ignore how good Reinhart is in front of the net. If we aren't even go to live in reality what's the point of talking? 

Also if you are relying on your goals to be scored by a point shot coming in and deflecting off a net front guy, well you would probably have the scoring rate the Sabres do. 

You can say that, but it doesn't make it a fact. I have disagreed with this for years and still blatantly disagree with it. If he actually was good in front of the net Krueger wouldn't have put Risto in there. So see if you can get Ralph to agree with you on how good Reinhart is in front of the net.

What I'm talking about is a guy who actively disrupts the goalie's concentration, makes it hard to see around him and/or forces a D man to move in close to him and try to move him out (thus increasing the visibility problem if he isn't easily moved). I don't know if you watched the bruins game closely but with Risto in front Rask was lowering his head, moving around, trying to look past him and later Chara was trying to move him (only half successfully). Risto was creating a problem and when Chara was in close with him it opened up ice for Oloffson off the top of the circle. With more practice this will work even better.  Reinhart on the other hand weaves into open spaces but all too often backs away and doesn't pay the full price. When ROR was on the PP he got in front better and it was more successful. When he was gone it sucked. Blame Housley if you want, but the fact is it was the players on the ice that failed. 

Reinhart is much better placed as the guy off the wall who can take the pass around the back of the net and pass to the open player keeping the movement going and only in part driving the net. So don't get me wrong, Reinhart can be effective in the construction of this PP, just not as the big body in front.

13 hours ago, nucci said:

lot of ifs in there...not sure how some are ok with the loss. I'm tired of watching them lose

Well they simply played better than they have been. Krueger said himself this was their best game of the year 5 on 5 and I agree. This effort and play against some of the teams we have lost to would have been wins but this was Boston, a cup finalist and their goalie was in A+ form. That blocker save has been all over the sports talk shows as "save of the year" stuff. 

The trick is to get them to play like that every night. If they do that, it can still turn around. History says they won't match that effort and they'll drop off but that's where the Krueger question comes in. Can he get them to buy in to that effort most nights? We shall see. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.