Mike Babcock Fired by Leafs

Brawndo

24 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

@PASabreFan,

It's true, why would I make it up?

As God as my witness, it's 100% true. Some one, anyone back me up on this.

And another thing, I thought turkeys could fly.

Turkeys can fly short distances to roost in trees to avoid predators

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

I live in the great Satan and have many firiends and family who are leaf fans and this is not the sentiment I have received at all.  There were rumours he could be on the hot seat but the ones I spoke to blame the players and Dubas more than Babs.  Many think he should still be the coach.

I hope your friends are right  ?

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mike Commodore? The Atlantic Division? To the Sabres? To the Leafs? To the NHL?  Please specifiy.

Can someone explain the Commodore vs Babcock beef?  I'm unfamiliar.  Commodores tweet landed in my feed this AM because Ullmark "liked" it.

edit: googled, got it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Commodore  bitter.

Edited by Getpucksdeep

19 hours ago, Radar said:

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm. Please let it be. Babcock has been exposed.

Please.  No sarcasm. 

Just get him in here long enough to go through our entire system and current roster and gut it.

Babcock knows what a real hockey player looks like.  He'd decimate our roster in 5 minutes and that is just what we need.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Can someone explain the Commodore vs Babcock beef?  I'm unfamiliar.  Commodores tweet landed in my feed this AM because Ullmark "liked" it.

edit: googled, got it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Commodore  bitter.

Although they are still performing, Ullmark is a little young to like this.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Surprised nobody is talking up Tim Murray’s best move as a GM: saddling our nearest rival with a $50 million bill for a coach who failed to bring together all their high-priced talent and wasted four seasons without winning a single playoff series.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Surprised nobody is talking up Tim Murray’s best move as a GM: saddling our nearest rival with a $50 million bill for a coach who failed to bring together all their high-priced talent and wasted four seasons without winning a single playoff series.

Sadly 50 mill is chump change for the Loafs.

It’s also sad that TM’s best move is screwing a 2nd franchise in addition to us.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Fire Botterill, move Krueger into the front office, hire Babcock.

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sadly 50 mill is chump change for the Loafs.

It’s also sad that TM’s best move is screwing a 2nd franchise in addition to us.

Murray's best move is getting us Eichel and Reinhart, and stealing O'Reilly for peanuts.

Which is at least three times more than I can say for Jason Botterill. (I'd give him Skinner, but he doesn't come close to what O'Reilly would provide.)

Edited by OhMyDahlin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Fire Botterill, move Krueger into the front office, hire Babcock.

Murray's best move is getting us Eichel and Reinhart, and stealing O'Reilly for peanuts.

Which is at least three times more than I can say for Jason Botterill. (I'd give him Skinner, but he doesn't come close to what O'Reilly would provide.)

Yeah I'll pick on Tim when Jason can match his worst non-tank season for the first time

• Like (+1) 1

My Dearest RaKru,

Last night I made a terrible mistake. Because pics were taken and you will surely see them, I offer this apology now. I met up with Mike Babcock in a seedy tavern in Hamilton and one thing led to another. After placing a burlap sack over his head, I drove up and down the QEW, three times.

It meant nothing to me.

You are still my one and only.

Yours,

—P

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Derrico said:

For those still thinking the leafs couldn’t wait to run Babcock out of town.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/sports/leafs/opinion/2019/11/22/mike-babcock-hasnt-changed-and-neither-has-the-leafs-tendency-to-panic-under-pressure.html

I think it was a mistake  I think Babcock is a great coach  He was dealing with injuries to Tavares and Marner  Dubas wanted his guy.    Leafs fans will regret this 

On 11/21/2019 at 11:26 AM, Kruppstahl said:

Please.  No sarcasm. 

Just get him in here long enough to go through our entire system and current roster and gut it.

Babcock knows what a real hockey player looks like.  He'd decimate our roster in 5 minutes and that is just what we need.

No way. 

Anyone can decimate a roster.  We know who the weak players are without Babcock.  

The skill is finding the right players.  The skill is in making trades and acquisitions that improve your team.   The skill is finding players that compliment each other (Perrault- Martin,  Luce- Ramsey).

No to Babcock.  He would have been no better the Phil, maybe worse if that’s even possible.  

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

No way. 

Anyone can decimate a roster.  We know who the weak players are without Babcock.  

The skill is finding the right players.  The skill is in making trades and acquisitions that improve your team.   The skill is finding players that compliment each other (Perrault- Martin,  Luce- Ramsey).

No to Babcock.  He would have been no better the Phil, maybe worse if that’s even possible.  

That's obviously not true. 

Botterill has no idea who is good or bad.  Look at the players he has retained, while trading away a Conn Smythe winner.

The fact that Sobotka is still on the team defies belief.

The fact that guys like Sheary or Vesey were brought in, in hopes of actually improving the team defies belief.

The fact that RISTO and McCabe continue get the playing time they do suggests they don't know what a good defenseman looks like.

Before this team is going to get good, it's going to have to get ripped down.

We are on our second major attempt at building it after GMTM's mess, and we are no closer than before to being good.

They can keep changing coaches but at some point, they will have to look at the players, including the big names.

Babcock would come in here and clear out the dead wood in a single busy afternoon.

I realize right now folks are down on him, but that works to our advantage.

Buy low, sell high!  This is a great time to hire him.

He is obviously a gigantic ego and that brings with it other concerns, but I have faith in his hockey IQ to right the ship.

My fear is that Pegula has cursed Babcock and his family for a thousand generations because he feels Babcock played him to up his offer in Toronto.  If that is true, Babcock can never come here as long as Pegula is the owner.

From that perspective, this might be a non-starter.

In any event, any Sabres fan who is waiting for Botterill to fix this mess is going to be disappointed and grow impatient.

I am just trying to find the end game here.  How much more time will be lost?  How many seasons do we need to wash down the drain waiting for good times to arrive?

27 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

That's obviously not true. 

Botterill has no idea who is good or bad.  Look at the players he has retained, while trading away a Conn Smythe winner.

The fact that Sobotka is still on the team defies belief.

The fact that guys like Sheary or Vesey were brought in, in hopes of actually improving the team defies belief.

The fact that RISTO and McCabe continue get the playing time they do suggests they don't know what a good defenseman looks like.

Before this team is going to get good, it's going to have to get ripped down.

We are on our second major attempt at building it after GMTM's mess, and we are no closer than before to being good.

They can keep changing coaches but at some point, they will have to look at the players, including the big names.

Babcock would come in here and clear out the dead wood in a single busy afternoon.

I realize right now folks are down on him, but that works to our advantage.

Buy low, sell high!  This is a great time to hire him.

He is obviously a gigantic ego and that brings with it other concerns, but I have faith in his hockey IQ to right the ship.

My fear is that Pegula has cursed Babcock and his family for a thousand generations because he feels Babcock played him to up his offer in Toronto.  If that is true, Babcock can never come here as long as Pegula is the owner.

From that perspective, this might be a non-starter.

In any event, any Sabres fan who is waiting for Botterill to fix this mess is going to be disappointed and grow impatient.

I am just trying to find the end game here.  How much more time will be lost?  How many seasons do we need to wash down the drain waiting for good times to arrive?

Babcock comes here and “cleans out the dead wood” and then who finds the replacement players that make us better?  Your solution only addresses half the job.  Anyone can clean out the dead wood.  Even Botterill knows who the weaker players are.   The hard part is getting someone that can build a team, NOT tear down.  

Murray was never an NHL GM until Buffalo.   Botterill, never an NHL GM until Buffalo.   Babcock, never an NHL GM.  

See the trend?  

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldn't hire Babcock at this point. There's too much swirling around him that indicates he might be bad with younger players. I would hope that the Sabres with their contacts could verify or refute the stories such as what is above. 

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.