Botterill, "imperative to keep our depth on defense"

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, ... said:

Every time I hear him speak, I think "moron".  Sorry, but I really do. He doesn't have a speech impediment, he simply doesn't have organized thoughts.  I think he's out of his depth because he simply can't process all of the information necessary to accomplish his goals.  He's in a constant state of information overload.

I'm in the Botterill Bunker.

Welcome aboard. I've been here since the trade of he who will not be named. Better secure a lazyboy in a prime spot near the beer fridge. I have a feeling it's going to get crowded in here really soon.

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Whom you're currently playing at forward, because why not.

I said I'd like to see Bogo banging around on the forecheck when he practiced at forward, but I was disappointed when it turned out to be Gilmour playing forward.  Watching him so far this season, I think the best forward in our D corps is probably Montour.  His goal last night looked like a forward's goal, and when he rushes the puck he looks like a forward doing it (as opposed to Risto who can't wait to dump it into the corner as soon as he crosses the offensive blue line).

29 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This is what the internet has done to sports.  Thirty years ago the vast majority of fans watched games and possibly one or two locally produced shows tailored to the local teams.  Now there is essentially infinite data available about all teams to all fans.  While I enjoy having a greater depth of knowledge (even with my limited time spent on it), it comes with a price of having full view of your favorite team's warts.

Sadly it's not just sports.  People can now go out and find scraps of information that litter the Internet like turds in a cow pasture. People who post those turds have shined 'em up real nice too.  There's no shortage of things to reinforce any particular viewpoint you wish to express.  

The problem is that people tend to do it with a high level of emotion and a low level of thinking.  It's easier to let the heart win over the brain, even if its not intentional.

Some people can live with warts and others need cosmetic surgery to remove them.  I suppose the teams warts are no different. 

AS for the comments by the GM?  The team has too many D and other GMs know it.  So he has to say those things.  The team is also losing and has suffered injuries. If I were an opposing GM I would not be looking to give Botterill a fair deal right now.  The only way a trade happens is if another team suffers a problem they need to fix worse than Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Zamboni said:

It’s gonna take an overpayment to get rid of the Bogo contract. It’s an albatross. Bogo is likely staying put. Scandella and Risto are the ones on the block and being shopped. And some teams have asked about ERod and Olofsson. 

Bogosian's contract expires at the end of the season and we can retain up to 50%. That won't be hard to move at all, come deadline time, unless he's back to being injured.

• Thanks (+1) 1

The biggest issue for Jbot is getting cap compliant. Only then can he start fixing the issues. Once he activates Bogo there is going to have to be some roster moves.

First, Okposo is going to have to be moved to LTIR. That would get us cap compliant without a trade.  

Next a roster spot would need to be opened for Bogo to play.  Jokiharju isn’t going down, so this is where a trade has to happen unless Gilmour is sent to Rochester (assuming he clears waivers).  Unfortunately that leaves us with 11 forwards until Mojo or Larsson return.

Then and only then can Jbot start trying to fix the forwards if possible.

Jbot hinted that he is looking at some UFAs like Pommers or Vanek.  I’m not sure they are an upgrade over Asplund or Lazar, but Roch needs those guys to succeed as well. 

Bogo getting back and playing decently would help Jbot cause.  His injury history makes him hard to trade until the deadline but his presence will make it easier to move Scandella.  

None of this answers the basic question of who can we get in trade to upgrade the forwards and what will it cost. 

Would you trade Mitts for a proven 24-25 year old forward?

Maybe, just maybe Terry Pegula actually HATES Buffalo, maybe he was slighted back in the day by someone or something in Buffalo. Did someone serve him over-cooked wings?  Perhaps this is all an elaborate revenge scheme that only a billionaire could carry out. Buy the teams, the heart and soul of the city, and just run them into the ***** ground. Grind down the spirit of all who cheer, all because he was offended decades ago.

32 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Bogosian's contract expires at the end of the season and we can retain up to 50%. That won't be hard to move at all, come deadline time, unless he's back to being injured.

I understand. I just don’t think (healthy or not), any team will want him. Even as a rental. I also don’t see JB retaining anything regarding Bogo. He needs every penny. Hey, we’ll see ...

Edited by Zamboni

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I'll throw this out there:  Mike Ilitch bought the Red Wings in 1982.  He drafted Yzerman in 1983.  They really didn't look like much of a team when I moved to Detroit in 1991, but that was the point when they seemed to start to get better.  They didn't win a Cup until 1997.

You can't just will your way into a Stanley Cup championship.  There are 30 other teams trying to do the same thing.

I'm not going to say all is well with the Sabres; we know that's not true.  But pick a team that's had a good run- the Red Wings, the Kings, the Penguins, the Blackhawks- they all went through extended periods of being really bad before they finally climbed the mountain.  The Sabres are behind the curve for sure, but the Red Wings didn't really break out as a good team until Yzerman was in the league almost 10 years.

You don't get the sense that the Sabres on the right path, but when I got to Detroit in 1991, the Wings were regularly booed.  The fans were renowned for being particularly hard on goalies, and it showed as they typically went through 5 goalies in a season during the early '90s.  By 1994-5, they finally settled in with Mike Vernon with understudy Chris Osgood, and that's when they really started to contend.  But until then, the goalies, and the whole team, were regularly booed at Joe Louis Arena.

Given what the Red Wings did from the mid-90s on for about 20 years, it's hard to picture how bad they were leading up to that, but they were pretty bad.  But given the progression, I think the average Detroit hockey fan wouldn't trade how things worked out; they'll say that sucking for 10 years was worth it to become a contender for 20 years.  So here we are in Year Nine of Pegula ownership, Year Five of the Eichel Era, and things don't look good.

Yet.

Based on my experience following the Wings when I lived in Detroit though, I can say it looks pretty dark before the dawn.

As long as you are going to go all anecdotal, how about mentioning:

Tampa Bay: expansion team in 1992; Stanley Cup winner in 2003-2004.

Florida Panthers: expansion team in 1993; Stanley Cup Finals appearance 1996.

Las Vegas: expansion team in 2017; Stanley Cup Finals appearance 2017.

Anaheim Ducks: Expansion 1993; Stanley Cup Champions 2006.

Dallas Stars: Moved to Dallas 1993; Presiden'ts Trophy 1997; Cup Champions 1998.

I can go on.

This team has been horrid for over a decade.

Stop the excuses. 

58 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I said I'd like to see Bogo banging around on the forecheck when he practiced at forward, but I was disappointed when it turned out to be Gilmour playing forward.  Watching him so far this season, I think the best forward in our D corps is probably Montour.  His goal last night looked like a forward's goal, and when he rushes the puck he looks like a forward doing it (as opposed to Risto who can't wait to dump it into the corner as soon as he crosses the offensive blue line).

They have very little interest in playing Gilmour on their own blue line.  So if they're going to mess with the head of any of the D by making him play out of position, it may as well be the guy that will never get any time at his natural position.

wut.

42 minutes ago, shrader said:

They have very little interest in playing Gilmour on their own blue line.  So if they're going to mess with the head of any of the D by making him play out of position, it may as well be the guy that will never get any time at his natural position.

You say that, but I thought he did fine for the game or two he played earlier.  And he played D during penalty kills last night.

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

wut.

You say that, but I thought he did fine for the game or two he played earlier.  And he played D during penalty kills last night.

His spot on the depth chart could not be more obvious.  He has played 4 games and each time it was when the number of healthy bodies dictated it.  He's off to the waiver wire if/when the injured finally return.  If by some chance they actually decide to carry 3 spare D and no Fs at that point, I've officially lost what little faith I had left.  I'd much rather have Lazar or Asplund in the press box and available as opposed to 17 different defensemen.

26 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

On a side note, how bout that Jokiharju eh? He'll of a trade off, Nylander for an actual very good young two way RHD.

I ran across a list by a poster (not a journalist or anything) who started a thread on another forum listing the "top young" Dmen in the league.  The thread was from last year, before the trade, and most of the responders had Joker in the top 10.  So along with Dahlin, we basically have two of the top 10 young Dmen in the league.

I've been very happy with Joker.  I just need Dahlin to settle in a bit better.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I ran across a list by a poster (not a journalist or anything) who started a thread on another forum listing the "top young" Dmen in the league.  The thread was from last year, before the trade, and most of the responders had Joker in the top 10.  So along with Dahlin, we basically have two of the top 10 young Dmen in the league.

I've been very happy with Joker.  I just need Dahlin to settle in a bit better.

Agree completely.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.