GDT: 11/19/19 Minnesota @ Buffalo, 7 p.m. EST

SwampD

31 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The rebuild failed because there was a GM put in place that did not realize how dire the prospect pool was and believed he could trade assets to make this team into a Stanley Cup Contender quicker.

Botterill’s slow and steady approach probably would have been more tolerable as Regier’s Replacement, he was interviewed by PLF for the job, BTW.   He would have probably have used at least 3 of 4 Top 31 Picks in the 2015 Draft which the Sabres owned. This team would look much different now with Boeser, Roslovic, and/or Aho on the team.  The prospect pool would be improved and the team would probably be a playoff contender right now. 

... and he chose the wrong coach, and the wrong goalie, and created a dysfunctional atmosphere, etc.

I have been thinking though that even if the Sabres finish this year well out of the playoffs, JB might still be the right guy.  I think slow, steady, methodical and professional is what this organization needs after the upper-management dysfunction and coach/GM revolving door of the last 5 years or so.

As @dudacek has ably noted, though, we still don't know whether JB has the mission-critical skill of talent evaluation.  He's had some successes but quite a few misses as well.  

Separately, and with apologies for derailing the GDT, here's why I keep bringing up the tank:  it is the central defining fact of the franchise now and for the last 6-7 years, and will continue to be so until the Sabres have an extended run of good playoff appearances. 

It's like a close friend getting laid off at his job, and instead of pounding the pavement and looking for a better job, he decides -- against prudent advice -- to throw himself in front of a truck in the hope that he wouldn't be badly hurt, that the truck would be owned by a rich company, that the friend would win a lawsuit, that he would receive a huge award in the lawsuit, that the award would be paid quickly, that the company wouldn't appeal, and 10 other contingencies that need to play out exactly right.  Sure enough, when we fast forward 7 years, he's still out of work, and is badly hurt, broke and bitter with dim prospects for improvement.  And yet some of his dudes are still insisting that his plan was a good one.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Also @SwampD, thank you for making it perfectly clear to me that the game is in Buffalo.  I know that I am the only one that cares about this stuff at this point.

If this helps any, when someone says as I do, Ottawa vs. Buffalo, the vs. team is always the home team. Buffalo vs. Chicago means Chicago is the home team. At and vs. are one in the same.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Claude Balls said:

If this helps any, when someone says as I do, Ottawa vs. Buffalo, the vs. team is always the home team. Buffalo vs. Chicago means Chicago is the home team. At and vs. are one in the same.

We had an extended discussion on this a GDT or two back.  Just let it be.

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It's like a close friend getting laid off at his job, and instead of pounding the pavement and looking for a better job, he decides -- against prudent advice -- to throw himself in front of a truck in the hope that he wouldn't be badly hurt, that the truck would be owned by a rich company, that the friend would win a lawsuit, that he would receive a huge award in the lawsuit, that the award would be paid quickly, that the company wouldn't appeal, and 10 other contingencies that need to play out exactly right.  Sure enough, when we fast forward 7 years, he's still out of work, and is badly hurt, broke and bitter with dim prospects for improvement.  And yet some of his dudes are still insisting that his plan was a good one.

The Sabres went the route of Mama Compensation...  said, "Oops, the wind..."  and then did get the claw end of the hammer. I like it.

32 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Unless it's soccer...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

We had an extended discussion on this a GDT or two back.  Just let it be.

I'll let it be but the explanation has me bent. There shouldn't have to be an explanation if someone just took the time to do things the way we are accustomed. 

Wait, the tank whiners are also the guys defending Reinhart as our second-best player despite performing like a middle-6 player?  Oh, the irony

I hope they've been working on special teams.  They really haven't played that bad on the skid outside of special teams.  Hutton deserves the bench.  I'm surprised Scandella is sitting-- he has been a calming presence for an otherwise out physically matched defensive corp.  I like Gilmour's speed though, so I'll get over it.

Mittle should have NEVER been up here this year. I don't see why they can't send him down before it's too late to save the season. HE does not even appear on the scoresheet so what could it hurt to try something else. Vesey is tough to look at in every way possible so they can start off by making those changes immediately. 

A loss tonight is going to trigger a 4 alarm fire and I don't want to be around to see it. Ullmark, you have to save us tonight and at least postpone the inevitable before my kids hate this team all over again. It's for the children youmthrfcknidiots...the chiiiilllldrennnnnnnnn

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.