GDT: 11/19/19 Minnesota @ Buffalo, 7 p.m. EST

SwampD

Wow. Do we all want to pretend there is no game on tonight?

Will Risto play wing?

Will ERod find his game and step in to save the day?

Will Jack figure out to use his line mates when he should and shoot when he supposed to?

Our big three are still healthy. Let’s hope that the adversity of absolutely everyone else being injured is just the push they need step up and play the we know they can.

Go Sabres!

Edited by SwampD
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The late and sparse GDT is a symptom of a broader malaise IMHO.

It's not the fans' fault, but I'm sensing a growing fatalism and "whatever" attitude in the fan base.  The arena is pretty quiet and there are thousands of empty seats.  Stubhub has tickets in the lower level at center ice for $34 (face value is presumably 3x to 4x that amount).  The hardcore fans here are pretty close to writing off yet another season (in freaking mid-November!).  And it's hard to feel any optimism about a turnaround anytime soon.

Behold what the tank hath wrought.  A great franchise has become a joke and a great hockey city doesn't give a crap.  It's an abomination.

And don't kid yourself and think that we've made it to the other side and annual improvement is assured.

• Thanks (+1) 2

Is it bad that I don't think this team has hit bottom yet? 

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It's not the fans' fault, but I'm sensing a growing fatalism and "whatever" attitude in the fan base.  The arena is pretty quiet and there are thousands of empty seats.  Stubhub has tickets in the lower level at center ice for $34 (face value is presumably 3x to 4x that amount).  The hardcore fans here are pretty close to writing off yet another season (in freaking mid-November!).  And it's hard to feel any optimism about a turnaround anytime soon.

Behold what the tank hath wrought.  A great franchise has become a joke and a great hockey city doesn't give a crap.  It's an abomination.

And don't kid yourself and think that we've made it to the other side and annual improvement is assured.

lol, 

uh huh yes GIF

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Is it bad that I don't think this team has hit bottom yet? 

I’m concerned you’re right. The good news is I’m rapidly losing interest so I likely won’t be around to see it. Its crazy that this season is seemingly going to be the straw that breaks the camels back for me, I was very hopeful. 

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't have to say this, but I will ... truer words have never been said.  The tank was the worst decision by the Sabres brass EVER.  We may never recover.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Let's do this. Because your sniping and attempted gloating is terrible.

The tank succeeded because the tank was to get 1 specific player. The rebuild failed.

Either the tank and rebuild are linked in which case we can agree that the rebuild portion of the tank failed. Or they are separate in which case the Tank succeeded. So as I have asked you repeatedly and you have repeatedly ignored, is the Tank and Rebuild linked as 1 or is the tank and rebuild separate entities? If so why or why not? 

Basically defend your point or stop saying it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Saturday's game really showed me the general state of the fans right now. There was very little cheering beyond when being prompted ie when they'd play the organ use the score board for a let's go Buffalo cheer. As soon as the organ stopped/play started the cheer immediately died. It was depressing. I'd keep cheering then it'd feel awkward when I was the only one. There was maybe 1 time someone else got an actual cheer going and it picked up a bit of steam then also promptly died.

Eichel looked downright angry after each of his 4 goals. He celebrated briefly then looked like someone ran over his dog. I was hoping the win/big game by Jack on Saturday was going to be the start of a turnaround but we looked awful Sunday night.

I was worried after our early success that we'd fall over once we faced some adversity and here we are with adversity. A lot of it. So far we don't seem to be responding. Is this on the players? The coaching staff? Probably a bit of both. The Krueger honeymoon is over and now I'm wondering what we can do to get the season back on track before it's too late.

Hoping for another win here and maybe some kind of spark because we really need it. Sadly I've returned to Maryland yesterday so I won't be in attendance to make some magic happen again.

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I don't have to say this, but I will ... truer words have never been said.  The tank was the worst decision by the Sabres brass EVER.  We may never recover.

Disagree. The rebuild failed. The tank was about stripping the roster of dead weight and resetting the franchise. Tim Murray in his stupidity used the fruits of that tear down to do dumb ***** like the Bogo trade and the Lehner trade. Further to that point the Sabres as a team have failed at developing and drafting properly something that appears could be changing but I won't hold my breath. So you are telling me that if Murray had been made GM without the tank and used those limited assets we would be better off today? How so? What would we have gained by drafting Jakob Zboril, Jakub Vrana, and hell I will give us Nylander anways in those 3 drafts. We in this scenario get pommers for a few more years and I suppose vanek. So we still have massive issues at center but instead of being a bottom feeder we are what? a 80-90 pt team with probably 1 more playoff appearence and a nice first round exit. 

The Tank succeeded. The rebuild has failed and the only ppl who still are arguing this point at people like Nfreeman who didn't like the tank to begin with and needs to feel vindicated so he tosses it out here and there. 

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This all started with the Sabres trading Brian Campbell back in 2008. That was the beginning of Darcy deciding that letting good players go was the right move.

We didn't know how good we had it as fans. We bitched about Connolly, Roy, Vanek, Pommers, Miller, Kotalik, Gaustad, like they weren't perfectly good hockey players.

And then they were gone and we were left with garbage.

The amount of damage Regier did to this team from top to bottom is unforgivable. Gutted for picks and prospects.

And we as fans still haven't learned our lesson. We still wanted guys like O'Reilly gone. We have a thread right now where people legitimately wonder if Reinhart shouldn't be traded.

Maybe we deserve this.

edit: I remember warning people when we traded Miller that we were entering goalie purgatory and the naysayers said it "needed to happen". And look at what we've been bitching about since Miller left? How many goalies have we had since then? We could have just kept him.

Edited by darksabre

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The tank succeeded because the tank was to get 1 specific player. The rebuild failed.

Either the tank and rebuild are linked in which case we can agree that the rebuild portion of the tank failed. Or they are separate in which case the Tank succeeded. So as I have asked you repeatedly and you have repeatedly ignored, is the Tank and Rebuild linked as 1 or is the tank and rebuild separate entities? If so why or why not? 

I will not speak for @nfreeman, but the tank was not set in place for Eich.  He is a great player, but he was the consolation prize.

I will not derail the thread further, but close with ... IMHO, the Sabres would not be where they are now if the tank was not established as team policy.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I will not speak for @nfreeman, but the tank was not set in place for Eich.  He is a great player, but he was the consolation prize.

I will not derail the thread further, but close with ... IMHO, the Sabres would not be where they are now if the tank was not established as team policy.

The rules at the time dictated the tank since we were guaranteed either #1 or #2 by finishing last. If there was only one "generational player" then tanking would be a crapshoot.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The bolded is ridiculous on its face.

As I have said multiple times:  the point of the tank was to get Eichel, and thereby to become a good team.  If becoming a good team weren't the entire point of the tank, then no one would ever pursue a tanking strategy.

The reason I and many others opposed the tank is simple:  as a strategy for a bubble team to become a cup contender, it usually fails -- and it usually results in semi-permanent residence in the basement.  This is exactly what has happened to the Sabres. 

The reason tanking usually brings these disastrous consequences is that it is too difficult and unlikely to climb from the basement to cup contender.  There are too many moving pieces and too many things have to go right.  In the meantime, losing has been internalized as the expected result.

So saying "they screwed up the rebuild" isn't an accurate description of the post-tank era.  It would be more correct to say "their plan relied on a 50-1 longshot paying off, and it didn't pay off."

It gives me no pleasure to say it.  But when I see/hear utter nonsense like the bolded, or other defenses of the tank (and you are far from the only one), I feel like there is a real risk that the team will just repeat the same idiotic tactic, and a decade in the desert will turn into 20 years, which will in turn lead to the team leaving.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Saturday's game really showed me the general state of the fans right now. There was very little cheering beyond when being prompted ie when they'd play the organ use the score board for a let's go Buffalo cheer. As soon as the organ stopped/play started the cheer immediately died. It was depressing. I'd keep cheering then it'd feel awkward when I was the only one. There was maybe 1 time someone else got an actual cheer going and it picked up a bit of steam then also promptly died.

Eichel looked downright angry after each of his 4 goals. He celebrated briefly then looked like someone ran over his dog. I was hoping the win/big game by Jack on Saturday was going to be the start of a turnaround but we looked awful Sunday night.

I was worried after our early success that we'd fall over once we faced some adversity and here we are with adversity. A lot of it. So far we don't seem to be responding. Is this on the players? The coaching staff? Probably a bit of both. The Krueger honeymoon is over and now I'm wondering what we can do to get the season back on track before it's too late.

Hoping for another win here and maybe some kind of spark because we really need it. Sadly I've returned to Maryland yesterday so I won't be in attendance to make some magic happen again.

Yup.  Something is wrong.  

For me personally I'm struggling to connect to this team, again.  Favorite player?  Who plays with moxie every night?  I don't have an easy answer.  Skinner I guess?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.