Will Okposo decide to retire due to concussions?

matter2003

I think they won't admit it but I'm willing to bet JBot is praying Okposo decides to call it a career due to concussions for the salary cap relief they would get from his albatross of a contract...

Would the Sabres get his full salary(prorated obviously for this year) credited back to the cap moving forward if that happened or only part of it? Not sure how that works with injury retirements....I am pretty sure they could put him in Long Term IR and move his salary off the cap too...

Edited by matter2003

I would hope if Jason was/is a religious man he would be praying for the health and well being of Kyle without any reflection upon his status as a player.

As a GM, I would hope Jason makes sure that Kyle is given every opportunity to get to a doctor in order to get well and to make sure the communication lines are always open as to his future.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 4

Don Cherry might think this way but I would think if the Sabres are praying at all, it's for the well being of Kyle and for no future after effects. I kind of find the title a bit on the obnoxious side and I would hope you change it to something more reasonable. You wouldn't be the first poster to bring up the advantages of losing his cap hit but please put it a different way.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• nfreeman changed the title to Will Okposo decide to retire due to concussions?
59 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Okposo retiring is not particularly a good thing given the nature of cap recapture. 

Cap recapture wouldn't be that onerous.  He collected $8MM each of the 1st 2 years and has an AAV of 6MM for 3 more seasons.  His dead cap hit would be $1.333MM/ year over the next 3 years. 

Much less than the $6MM hit they take for him staying active until the end.

And as to OP's Q.  While the Sabres benefit should he be unable to continue as a professional hockey player; I truly doubt there is a single person in the hockey department hoping he has to hang them up.  They've all had their playing days end and I can't see any of them wishing a guy to go out on anything but his own terms.  It happens and it is a business, but the human side outweighs that IMHO.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Cap recapture wouldn't be that onerous.  He collected $8MM each of the 1st 2 years and has an AAV of 6MM for 3 more seasons.  His dead cap hit would be $1.333MM/ year over the next 3 years. 

Much less than the $6MM hit they take for him staying active until the end.

And as to OP's Q.  While the Sabres benefit should he be unable to continue as a professional hockey player; I truly doubt there is a single person in the hockey department holing he has to hang them up.  They've all has their playing days end and I can't see any of them wanting a guy to go out on anything but his own terms.  It happens and it is a business, but the human side outweighs that IMHO.

That cap recapture isn't as bad as I expected. They structured his contract pretty evenly.

I will add that I hope Botterill isn't placing any expectations on anything with Okposo freeing up cap space. He needs to operate as if Okposo is here indefinitely until something happens to indicate otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

Isn’t LTIR an option here?  I don’t think there’s any recapture if he’s out due to his string of concussions.

On a separate note I’m sure this guy has a family and I wish him the best of health.  The play the other night didn’t look like a big collision and concussions are just so serious that I don’t know how he doesn’t consider stepping away.

• Like (+1) 1

While I dont wish Ill on Kyle, I think that he should  retire. He has a family to think about and I suspect he has enough money to be able to retire.

I dont want to watch the game where that last hit is the bad one. 

Cant the team physician say he is unsafe to play?

After his ICU story and very very sensitive situation, I just don't see how this can continue.... I mean he jumped off the bench in a nothing play and he's out again. 

I've seen ramifications of repeat head injuries, he has a family and children, that outweighs hockey, and this should be the discussion that's important, with them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Isn’t LTIR an option here?  I don’t think there’s any recapture if he’s out due to his string of concussions.

On a separate note I’m sure this guy has a family and I wish him the best of health.  The play the other night didn’t look like a big collision and concussions are just so serious that I don’t know how he doesn’t consider stepping away.

LTIR will likely be an option.  There isn't any recapture should he decide he wants to go that route.  And, my guess is, he more likely would go that route rather than retire.  (Though, believe if he is forced to retire due to injury that he still gets paid the money owed.  Would have to recheck that section of the CBA.)

The concern becomes, at what point should he hang 'em up and how do the Sabres handle it if he won't agree (should they believe) that the risk to his health isn't worth continuing.

I just watch the guy, but cringe everytime he ends up getting hit in a corner.  Can't imagine how stressful it is for his family.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Yeah, dude has potentially life changing injuries and we’re just hoping he doesn’t come back.

After Tim Connolly and Pat LaFontiane I’d hope we’d be above that.

That Okposo collision was very similar to the collision that ended Lafontaine's career with the Rangers, in that it didn't seem too bad from looking at it.  

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Yeah, dude has potentially life changing injuries and we’re just hoping he doesn’t come back.

After Tim Connolly and Pat LaFontiane I’d hope we’d be above that.

You're right I hope he doesn't come back. That's why I posted the gif I did. I'm terrified he's going to be permanently disabled from a head hit. I don't care about the cap savings but I do care that Okposo is getting concussions more frequently. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You're right I hope he doesn't come back. That's why I posted the gif I did. I'm terrified he's going to be permanently disabled from a head hit. I don't care about the cap savings but I do care that Okposo is getting concussions more frequently. 

Concussions beget more concussions, no? Okposo came off that bench the way I would. Please retire, Kyle. (That said, he had a concussion last season, too. And here we are.)

1 hour ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

That Okposo collision was very similar to the collision that ended Lafontaine's career with the Rangers, in that it didn't seem too bad from looking at it.  

Just like Patty, Okposo has a warriors heart and I don't see him wanting to call it a career just yet.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

LTIR will likely be an option.  There isn't any recapture should he decide he wants to go that route.  And, my guess is, he more likely would go that route rather than retire.  (Though, believe if he is forced to retire due to injury that he still gets paid the money owed.  Would have to recheck that section of the CBA.)

The concern becomes, at what point should he hang 'em up and how do the Sabres handle it if he won't agree (should they believe) that the risk to his health isn't worth continuing.

I just watch the guy, but cringe everytime he ends up getting hit in a corner.  Can't imagine how stressful it is for his family.

Does anyone know if the Sabres are able to put him on LTIR if they refuse to clear him due to concussion issues, but he claims feels ok to get back on the ice?   

13 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Just like Patty, Okposo has a warriors heart and I don't see him wanting to call it a career just yet.

Does anyone know if the Sabres are able to put him on LTIR if they refuse to clear him due to concussion issues, but he claims feels ok to get back on the ice?   

In that case an impartial Dr would also evaluate him and provide a 2nd opinion as to whether he can play or not. 

If that Dr says he can play, then they're back in another LaFontaine situation (should they want him to stay LTIR).

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

In that case an impartial Dr would also evaluate him and provide a 2nd opinion as to whether he can play or not. 

If that Dr says he can play, then they're back in another LaFontaine situation (should they want him to stay LTIR).

As a fan of the Sabres I would like another *LaFontaine situation* for Kyle.

Put 100% of the responsibility of the players health on the player and his doctor. 

As a human being, I hope he's okay and lives a great life after hockey.

As a Sabres fan, I hope "after hockey" comes sooner than later.

The guy needs to retire. He's one bad hit away from a life changing injury. He needs to think of his family, he has plenty of money to live a great life.

Put him in player development.

Edited by OhMyDahlin

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.