Jump to content
bob_sauve28

Sabres Have Scored 1 PP in Nov, But Given Up 2SH

Recommended Posts

I dont have stats, but I would say that they scored many, if not most of the goals on pp during the wins. Now that teams have figured out they are looking to feed olaffson, he is constantly covered. 

I see the problem as too much passing looking for perfect one timer. They should be driving to the net constantly during those two minutes looking for rebounds or deflections to pop in. Too many players looking for the perfect shot,when I always thought garbage goals get it done

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

That's a big part of the problem. 

 

How one do they fix this? 

They don't move any more. In October they worked the puck low to high which spread the defense and players adjusted to the gaps. Now they sit in their spot and watch 1 player move around trying to create a gap. It's lazy and honestly lazy and not moving their feet is a big reason this team sucks right now. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Special Teams has been the difference in November.  Record flips if the PP and PK played about average.

 

Funny, the zone entries haven't been a problem at all (unlike last year where they embarrassingly were so).  It's just their predictable movements not making any goalie stretch.  And the PK?  It's just not working when certain groupings are out there.  Too many weak defenders.

 

Who is the special teams coach this year?

Edited by triumph_communes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's simple. Nobody's screening the goalie very well. As always. The two shooter thing worked for a few weeks and then the film was in and teams attacked those sides more and we haven't adjusted (incapable?). We also lose far too many offensive zone face offs and thus lose a lot of PP time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

That's a big part of the problem. 

 

How one do they fix this? 

They need to do different things.  They don’t move much and they don’t screen the goalie.  They pass crisply around the perimeter and wait for Olofsson or Eichel to get a clean shot.   The defense knows this so the take away the shots and keep their sticks down to cut off cross ice passes.  They let us work the perimeter until we shoot wide or lose possession.   Then we send out PP2 and do the same thing only not as well. 

 

Our PK also started out good and now is quite poor.  

Predictable for sure  

Coaching? 

Edited by Pimlach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They need to do different things.  They don’t move much and they don’t screen the goalie.  They pass crisply around the perimeter and wait for Olofsson or Eichel to get a clean shot.   The defense knows this so the take away the shots and keep their sticks down to cut off cross ice passes.  They let us work the perimeter until we shoot wide or lose possession.   Then we send out PP2 and do the same thing only not as well. 

 

Our PK also started out good and now is quite poor.  

Predictable for sure  

Coaching? 

We're on our 3rd coach now that is catching heat for this team.

2 GM's and 3 coaches now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams have figured out how to stop it.  Krueger doesn't have an answer.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Weave said:

We're on our 3rd coach now that is catching heat for this team.

2 GM's and 3 coaches now. 

Someday they will ice a roster capable of more than low-eighties or high-seventies point totals. 

And then they will finish at that level.

it will even have...gasp...some of the "suspects" that are getting the stink eye from fans now, that don't rub some fans the right way....

For now, they're producing where a team that's skating Bogosian on the 4th line, Lazar on the 3rd, and Rodrigues at 2C, would be expected to. It's as simple as that. And it was more than available to see in the tea leaves before the season began, without any "this darned core just can't win" dark clouds necessary

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Someday they will ice a roster capable of more than low-eighties or high-seventies point totals. 

And then they will finish at that level.

it will even have...gasp...some of the "suspects" that are getting the stink eye from fans now, that don't rub some fans the right way....

For now, they're producing where a team that's skating Bogosian on the 4th line, Lazar on the 3rd, and Rodrigues at 2C, would be expected to. It's as simple as that. And it was more than available to see in the tea leaves, without any "this darned core just can't win" dark clouds necessary

I agree. A lot of cap freed up following this season. It should be interesting to see where it's allocated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Weave said:

We're on our 3rd coach now that is catching heat for this team.

2 GM's and 3 coaches now. 

Doesn't mean any of them are good (besides Bylsma, haha.  seriously tho, he's done the most with the hand he was dealt than any other Sabres coach in the last 10 years). 

What a turnaround in Edmonton tho, Tippett has them playing well... without any major roster shakeup.   

I've been banging the drum for TIppett for the past 5 years.  Sad.   He was available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Doesn't mean any of them are good (besides Bylsma, haha.  seriously tho, he's done the most with the hand he was dealt than any other Sabres coach in the last 10 years). 

What a turnaround in Edmonton tho, Tippett has them playing well... without any major roster shakeup.   

I've been banging the drum for TIppett for the past 5 years.  Sad.   He was available.

Not to say anything for or against Tippett, who I don't have any opinions about, but every time I've seen Edmonton they've looked pathetic save for two guys who are scoring like they're Lemieux and Jagr in their primes. The rest of their roster looks as bad on the ice as they do on paper. When Connor and Leon slow down a bit it'll be interesting to see how the team goes. Even with McDrai, he deserves coach of the year if that roster gets anywhere near the playoffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They pass to much and they don't get the puck to the net.  Hard to score that way. With guys like Skinner and Reinhart in front, they should be launching puck after puck at the net and tell those guys tip it in or clean up the loose change.

 

 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d take Olophson off top unit, put Risto on it at forward, and have him stand in front of the net. I might even move Samson back to the point. Something needs to change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 4:50 PM, bob_sauve28 said:

I’d take Olophson off top unit, put Risto on it at forward, and have him stand in front of the net. I might even move Samson back to the point. Something needs to change

Called it! 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 10:39 PM, pi2000 said:

Teams have figured out how to stop it.  Krueger doesn't have an answer.   

Put Olofsson on the left side 😄

On the next one put him in the upper slot 😄

Then on the next one stick him out at the point 😄

Just keep moving him around like a game of whack-a-mole 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's life (that's life) that's what people say
You're riding high in April
Shot down in May
But I know I'm gonna change that tune
When I'm back on top, back on top in 2029

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did any one catch the very short snippet last night by one of the Sabres announcers that told a story of how Krueger is taking all the blame for the power play?

 

Basically he said their power play at the beginning of the year was so fundamentally flawed they really worked on it. Basically, the scoring was more or less an outliner and wasn't sustainable if left uncorrected. So they fixed it.

Krueger now said *uc* it. Go back to doing what you where doing. 

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Did any one catch the very short snippet last night by one of the Sabres announcers that told a story of how Krueger is taking all the blame for the power play?

 

Basically he said there power play at the beginning of the year was so fundamentally flawed they really worked on it. Basically, the scoring was more or less an outliner and wasn't sustainable if left uncorrected. So they fixed it.

Krueger now said *uc* it. Go back to doing what you where doing. 

I am now terrified this team was playing unstructured but effective hockey in October and coaching ***** it up. 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...