Sabres Have Scored 1 PP in Nov, But Given Up 2SH

bob_sauve28

On 11/18/2019 at 8:42 AM, Carmel Corn said:

Move, Pass less, Shoot more.  

They are too easy to defend against.

Whenever any PP becomes stale, it seems like the players on the PP always end up standing around at their stations but with no real movement.  Or if there is movement it's just swapping players from one station to another, which is effectively like not moving at all from the PK perspective.  

PPs are at their best when there is a ton of creative movement and not just from station to station.  

Also no need to try to set up the perfect shot into an empty net.  That's nice if you can do it, but I would be a fan of shooting like crazy, getting traffic around the net, and waiting for rebounds.  B/C of the man advantage, over time and with repeated chances, a Sabre, somewhere, should be uncovered and be able to get a great scoring chance.

But those situations aren't created without first shooting the puck!  And crashing the net.

If they are going to keep standing around and passing from station to station, the PP will not get back on song.

On 11/22/2019 at 7:27 AM, woods-racer said:

Did any one catch the very short snippet last night by one of the Sabres announcers that told a story of how Krueger is taking all the blame for the power play?

Basically he said their power play at the beginning of the year was so fundamentally flawed they really worked on it. Basically, the scoring was more or less an outliner and wasn't sustainable if left uncorrected. So they fixed it.

Krueger now said *uc* it. Go back to doing what you where doing. 

Why f with something that works. Who cares if its not sustainable ? Try and fix something that works and suddenly it doesn’t work. Thats brilliant coaching right there.

17 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Why f with something that works. Who cares if its not sustainable ? Try and fix something that works and suddenly it doesn’t work. Thats brilliant coaching right there.

Interestingly enough, this could be one of those moments where analytics screws over the eye test.

If analytics said their PP was lucky you'd be inclined to correct the "luck" before the "regression to the mean".  However, in the off chance that their actions were redefining the model, the analytics would not match up with what was happening on the ice.

Hey, who knows.  Frankly I don't buy into it.  The PP looks the exact same as it did at the beginning of the year, teams are still pressuring the Sabres PP because they stand around too much and they rely on cross-ice passes to one-timers.  Those passes are routinely blocked.  

The only thing that is completely different is that they've gone back to having Eichel try and rush the puck into the zone during which 8 times out of 10 he turns the puck over or they do not gain possession.

• Like (+1) 1

You need different looks or people adjust you out of commission. The Sabres have shown one model that was successful, do they have anything else? One of the answers to try and work more low to high, and high to low, not stand around hoping Jack can find VO for a onetimer. They actually could be using an option of Sam R handling the puck down low, and leaving Jack on the weakside alone. This would give them another good look IMO, Sam can find Skinner in the slot I believe. Finding Jack for a weakside quick shot from Dahlin is a good idea as well. Wouldn't hurt to have a look like that with VO on the bench and a hoss in front screening (Josh Anderson is my dream).

3 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

You need different looks or people adjust you out of commission. The Sabres have shown one model that was successful, do they have anything else? One of the answers to try and work more low to high, and high to low, not stand around hoping Jack can find VO for a onetimer. They actually could be using an option of Sam R handling the puck down low, and leaving Jack on the weakside alone. This would give them another good look IMO, Sam can find Skinner in the slot I believe.  Finding Jack for a weakside quick shot from Dahlin is a good idea as well. Wouldn't hurt to have a look like that with VO on the bench and a hoss in front screening (Josh Anderson is my dream).

Agreed.  I was thinking what would Tampa do without Stamkos.   He was obviously replaced, but the puck movement reflected that.   It's not like they had his replacement on the wing waiting for a one-timer the whole time.   The Risto PP goal gave me hope.   Last nights PP while generating opportunities reflected a regression. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.