Reinhart, sign him or trade him?

sweetlou

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

This is entirely false. Look at the numbers.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/3114722/sam-reinhart

The history of Reinhart haters moving the goalposts has become laughable. At least do what @PerreaultForever has done and say “I just don’t like him and I’m not going to change my mind”

Its a lot better than making things up, or holding him to higher standards than 90 per cent of the league.

I have said I do like him better at center and I think his skill set is a better fit in this role (with the exception of his face offs). If we retain him I think it will be a huge mistake to make him Eichel's RW again. He should stay as 2C with the same line he has now. 

I do still question his work ethic and commitment though. Until I see him play like this after signing a big contract I will keep thinking he is skinnering us.  

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have said I do like him better at center and I think his skill set is a better fit in this role (with the exception of his face offs). If we retain him I think it will be a huge mistake to make him Eichel's RW again. He should stay as 2C with the same line he has now. 

I do still question his work ethic and commitment though. Until I see him play like this after signing a big contract I will keep thinking he is skinnering us.  

He's over 50% on faceoffs in his last 10 games

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Can you say contract year? 😉

Can we say "should have been a center" 

I ***** knew it! I said he was a center and the SOB is proving it. 

Dude just played OT with ice in his veins. Loved it. 

In all seriousness Sam is shooting at 20% which is about 6.3% above his average. He's overperforming on his shots so the Sabres should keep that in mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In all seriousness Sam is shooting at 20% which is about 6.3% above his average. He's overperforming on his shots so the Sabres should keep that in mind. 

Agree.  See Skinner two years ago, Jack last year and Hall's MVP year.  Sam is a center and should be one.  It's amazing but it took such a crappy season to finally give our most talented players a chance to play at their natural center.  It makes me so angry how management has handled things for a decade.

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sucks at shoot outs though 🙂

39 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Agree.  See Skinner two years ago, Jack last year and Hall's MVP year.  Sam is a center and should be one.  It's amazing but it took such a crappy season to finally give our most talented players a chance to play at their natural center.  It makes me so angry how management has handled things for a decade.

Granato moved Bjork on the Reinhart line replacing Skinner. Bjork had his best game with the Sabres. Skinner was demoted to a lower line yet he still contributed with a nifty pass to Eakin for a goal. My point is Granato has been very adept and assembling and changing lines in order to find the best fit. While Skinner's role has recently been downgraded at least the coach is getting some production from him. That wouldn't have happened with Krueger because he was determined to bury him. 

Once again, no Sabre on the roster has ever played a meaningful game in a Sabre jersey. Sam Reinhart is our best player. We have gone through this before ROR. Let’s not ***** this up again. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Like (+1) 2

None of us are the first to mention it, but it came up with @Thorny and @Doohickie in the similar Ristolainen thread. If Reinhart is a center (yes, he can be) and he's only going to be here one more season in a contract year...

Expose Reinhart in exchange for Seattle's top-5 overall + what? Does Seattle take the deal to be competitive right away and have a semi-local kid for their immediate bash with Vancouver? Would a trade+immediate extension get us even more of a haul? What does Seattle give up for an instant 2C in his prime?

I like Reinhart, but if we doesn't want a long-term deal here, or believes he's worth Skinner money to stay (and who could blame him for wanting out of this mess) ---  just something to think on heading into the playoff season. For the smarter hockey minds than mine: What does the deal look like?

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

What does the deal look like?

I want some Cozens and Borgens and stuff.  You know, prospects that are on the cusp of breaking into the league in meaningful roles.  I want depth to pressure our prospects that are maturing right now.  I want 4 lines of guys under 25 that are all pushing to be in the top six.  I'm not sure Seattle can do that, but who knows?

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

6 of 9 and 6 of 7 against Boston in those 2 games. He was 12 for 8 last night. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/reinhsa01/gamelog/2021/

He won more draws than he took, now THAT's impressive!

the actual numbers....

BOS 6 for 13

BOS 6 for 15

NYI 12 for 20

NYI 3 for 14

27 for 62 the last 4 games = 43%

Edited by pi2000

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sucks at shoot outs though 🙂

Actually, (prior to tonight) he has the best career shootout percentage of any active Sabre, including Jack Eichel. 😁

And poor @pi2000. It's like he's watching Star Wars in 1977 and refusing to talk about anything other than the quality of acting by the alien extras in the cantina scene.

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Actually, (prior to tonight) he has the best career shootout percentage of any active Sabre, including Jack Eichel. 😁

I actually knew this, hence the smiley. 

There's absolutely no question he is currently the Sabres best player. Is he playing for the contract will remain my question however, until I see his play after it's signed. 

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Cody Eakin: 1g 0a 4 SOG  1 hit  2 blocked shots  8 of 14 on faceoffs

Samson Reinhart: 0g  0a 2 SOG  0 hits  0 blocked hosts  3 of 14 on faceofss

EAKIN > REINHART

BUT REINHART WAS +2

He must be good if he was +2

Reinhart right now should have 17 goals not 25 if you adjust his save percentage back to his career average. Something to keep in mind for his contract. Still, that paces him to top 20goals again in an 82 game season.

He would be on pace to get 27 goals on 197 shots in a full 82 game season with 13.6sh%

or 39goals if he maintained his current 20sh% for an entire 82 game season. 

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

6 of 9 and 6 of 7 against Boston in those 2 games. He was 12 for 8 last night. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/reinhsa01/gamelog/2021/

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

He won more draws than he took, now THAT's impressive!

the actual numbers....

BOS 6 for 13

BOS 6 for 15

NYI 12 for 20

NYI 3 for 14

27 for 62 the last 4 games = 43%

You are bad at reading, that can be the only reason you highlighted "last night" in my response. I was doing games 48-51. You have decided to use "the actual numbers" and do games 49-52

He was +2 though last night. +2 that clearly means he was awesome. Also even though he was bad at faceoffs the team still won. Huh. Strange. 

Sam Reinhart since game 35 (where he moved to center I believe) of the season so 35-52 has a faceoff percentage of 46.94% which is higher than terrible awful center Nathan MacKinnon's career faceoff percentage of 46%. Clearly Sam can't play center. 

So to recap for the kids... Reinhart has been attacked in the following way with ever moving goalposts:

Can't skate well - proceeds to skate well

Can't produce without Eichel - proceeds to produce without Eichel

Can't play center - proceeds to play center

Has a bad team +/- - proceeds to improve his +/- 

Can't win facoffs - proceeds to improve in faceoffs and wins more than MacKinnon for his career. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

8 years, 8 million per.

Not afraid, because he's consistent, and tv movie is coming.

I’m fine with a high salary, but the term needs to be manageable. 8 years is way too long. Would go 6 or hopefully 5 years. We’ve been burned often with these long terms, and so have many teams in the NHL. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.