Reinhart, sign him or trade him?

sweetlou

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Brendan Gallagher just signed for 6 years, $6.5 per.

Sam has more offence, but less grit, more points, but less goals. Sam is younger and will give better value at the end of that deal, but will also get another good contract after this one. Brendan probably won’t.They have very similar value.

Get on the phone with Sam right now and get it done.

I’d be 100% fine with getting Sam for that. Even a smidge more would be fine too.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not a big fan of Hammy's, but certainly he has spent a lot of time around the team over the years. 

There are a number of moving pieces in the Reino contract situation, including his upcoming arbitration, the possibility that the Sabres will want to maintain flexibility and cap space in order to be able to sign Hall to an extension if both sides want to do so and a new GM.  KA has said a number of times lately that they want players who want to be here -- I wonder whether he gets that impression from Reino.

OTOH, RK probably likes Reino, as he was 2nd among forwards in ice time and stapled to Jack's line.

We'll learn more as we get closer to the arbitration hearing.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And some fans will grab onto that. And believe every syllable because it fits their narrative of not liking Sam. And other fans will consider the source....

The comments are telling me that the fans are considering the source.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hammy is being hammered and rightfully so.

Hamilton in this case is associating his relationship with a player to the relationship between the player and the team. He's unfairly carrying over his personal interaction with the player to his opinion about the person. After a typical numbing losing game Paul Hamilton would repeat the same post game questions to Reinhart about why was this team struggling. This was going on for more than a season. So Reinhart would respond to Paul H curtly. What was he going to say after saying the same thing post game hundreds of time? What Reinhart was not going to do was publicly criticize his teammates. The obvious fact was that team lacked talent. The Paul H tweet simply reflects his frustration with the player and the player understandably got tired of the same tiresome questions from the reporter. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 5

On 10/13/2020 at 8:46 PM, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I knew I'd take some flack for that one but couldn't resist the history lesson.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:10 PM, PerreaultForever said:

shut yer mouth. Leafs can never win a cup. NEVER!

I think a better answer to my post would've been....

"Bogo played for TB last, so now if TO were to win the cup, he would be an ex-Tampa player and they take the heat for it".

Agree that TO should NEVER win the cup. 

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

Brendan Gallagher just signed for 6 years, $6.5 per.

Sam has more offence, but less grit, more points, but less goals. Sam is younger and will give better value at the end of that deal, but will also get another good contract after this one. Brendan probably won’t.They have very similar value.

Get on the phone with Sam right now and get it done.

I was very glad to hear about this contract.  I think it sets the market for Samson

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hamilton in this case is associating his relationship with a player to the relationship between the player and the team. He's unfairly carrying over his personal interaction with the player to his opinion about the person. After a typical numbing losing game Paul Hamilton would repeat the same post game questions to Reinhart about why was this team struggling. This was going on for more than a season. So Reinhart would respond to Paul H curtly. What was he going to say after saying the same thing post game hundreds of time? What Reinhart was not going to do was publicly criticize his teammates. The obvious fact was that team lacked talent. The Paul H tweet simply reflects his frustration with the player and the player understandably got tired of the same tiresome questions from the reporter. 

This could be true, but we really have no way of knowing, innit?  I.e. certainly Hammy could've witnessed, over the years, Reino demonstrating a bad attitude in ways having nothing to do with his interactions with Hammy.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nfreeman said:

This could be true, but we really have no way of knowing, innit?  I.e. certainly Hammy could've witnessed, over the years, Reino demonstrating a bad attitude in ways having nothing to do with his interactions with Hammy.

I respectfully disagree with what you are saying it could be. I don't know of one occasion over the years where anyone reported or hinted that Reinhart was not acting professionally in the games or practice. If that type of negative behavior or attitude was witnessed by players, staff,  other  reporters it would have come out in the "unnamed source" pipeline. 

I have watched a lot of post game shows on my NHL package. The interaction between the two after games couldn't be categorized as antagonistic but what was clear was that there was friction between the two. We need to understand Reinhart's situation. For years Reinhart has been on not only losing teams but simply bad teams. Having to go to the podium to answer the same inane questions (that still needed to be asked) can be an exasperating. Let's also remember there were many times when "Jack" went to the podium and more openly expressed his frustration of being interviewed after the game when there was little to be said by the player that hadn't already been said a 1000 times before. 

The moral of story is that systemic losing for prideful players is frustrating and spills over when standing at the podium. It's part of the business but there is a human element to it. I really believe that the tweet that Paul H put out about Reinhart's attitude reflected his relationship with him and not the player's attitude toward the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Regarding Hamilton’s comments...was Sam the guy Hamilton always criticized for not attending ROR’s “practice after practice”.   

If so, let it go Paul. 

It couldn't have been Reinhart He was at those practices and credits them with helping improve his shot from what I remember. 

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Regarding Hamilton’s comments...was Sam the guy Hamilton always criticized for not attending ROR’s “practice after practice”.   

If so, let it go Paul. 

Paula needs to let it go. Just because you were craving a hamsamich and missed practice doesn’t mean you pick a guy and make a ‘story’. 

11 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If so, let it go Paul. 

Yes he was the player that Hamilton criticized for stopping participating in ROR's "practice after practice" sessions. He did attend the sessions but he then stopped. That shouldn't be surprising. If a player believes that post practice practices are not benefiting you or is not allowing you to refresh your tired legs and battered body then stopping the sessions would be a smart thing to do. The preparation that suits ROR isn't necessarily suitable for another player. 

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hammy is being hammered and rightfully so.

Yes. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Then Hammy should right an in-depth opinion piece detailing his concerns with Sam, complete with evidence pointing towards him having a bad attitude. But he's never done that, and never will, because it's nothing more than a personal grudge. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am not a huge sam fan. I dont think he should be let go/traded unless he gets more than he is worth in arbitration.

With that said, sam seemed professional from what i have seen. Jack seemed to take losses worse than sam in regards to talking with the media. Sam seems like such a happy fellow 

Edited by miles

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

It couldn't have been Reinhart He was at those practices and credits them with helping improve his shot from what I remember. 

You are right that Reinhart participated in those post practices but then he stopped. I'm not suggesting that it was the wrong thing to do. The player knows what is best for himself from a physical and mental standpoint.  Hamilton had mentioned on WGR about his stopping the sessions as a criticism. In my estimation he is making an unfair judgment. 

28 minutes ago, miles said:

I am not a huge sam fan. I dont think he should be let go/traded unless he gets more than he is worth in arbitration.

With that said, sam seemed professional from what i have seen. Jack seemed to take losses worse than sam in regards to talking with the media. Sam seems like such a happy fellow 

Yeh Sam has always seemed affable sometimes to his own detriment... would like to see more fire out of him... but he is who is and probably is a calming influence... Hammy whatever.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Yes he was the player that Hamilton criticized for stopping participating in ROR's "practice after practice" sessions. He did attend the sessions but he then stopped. That shouldn't be surprising. If a player believes that post practice practices are not benefiting you or is not allowing you to refresh your tired legs and battered body then stopping the sessions would be a smart thing to do. The preparation that suits ROR isn't necessarily suitable for another player. 

Hamilton also went on a tangent about how ROR wasn’t the leader he thought he was so I have no idea what has been going on with him and his views on players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.