Reinhart, sign him or trade him?

sweetlou

Easy to see why this slipped by with all the other things going on.

But Max Domi was one of the contracts to watch this summer as a Sam comparable. (Anthony Mantha being the other)

Max got 2 years, $5.3 AAV, which walks him up to UFA.

Edited by dudacek

Speaking of Reino -- based on austerity measures, Domi's deal and recent KA interviews, I will be pretty surprised if the Sabres give him more than $6.5MM per year.

OTOH, I don't expect them to give him a short-term deal like Domi's that walks him to UFA status.

On 10/9/2020 at 6:10 AM, dudacek said:

Easy to see why this slipped by with all the other things going on.

But Max Domi was one of the contracts to watch this summer as a Sam comparable. (Anthony Mantha being the other)

Max got 2 years, $5.3 AAV, which walks him up to UFA.

If that's the comparable sign him up. If it's over 6 explore trade options. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

With the expansion draft coming, I wonder what Reinhart's deal will look like. 

I was hearing a 1 year deal from a 'source 🤢' on 10/9, who also said we weren't even talking to Hall, aka, garbage source.

We're in the territory of 'I have no idea what Adams will do, and I trust zero "insiders" right now, because they've locked down that ship tight'.

Hoping for a 5-6 year deal, expecting a 2-3.

Edited by Gabrielor
  • Like (+1) 1

So, RK made it sound this morning like he's optimistic that things can work out such that Hall stays here longer than 1 year.  If that happens, the Sabres would have big, long-term deals with Eichel, Skinner, Hall and presumably Dahlin.

If the Sabres want to retain flexibility -- which appears to be an organizational priority -- and the flexibility they want includes the flexibility to keep Hall, I think they are less likely to give Reino the kind of long-term deal that he would accept.

It all depends on how much KA and RK like Reino, of course, but it seems like it would be consistent with their current approach to give Reino a short-term extension and see how things play out.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

So, RK made it sound this morning like he's optimistic that things can work out such that Hall stays here longer than 1 year.  If that happens, the Sabres would have big, long-term deals with Eichel, Skinner, Hall and presumably Dahlin.

If the Sabres want to retain flexibility -- which appears to be an organizational priority -- and the flexibility they want includes the flexibility to keep Hall, I think they are less likely to give Reino the kind of long-term deal that he would accept.

It all depends on how much KA and RK like Reino, of course, but it seems like it would be consistent with their current approach to give Reino a short-term extension and see how things play out.

It's a tough one. Locking up Sam could cost them an opportunity to lock up Hall.

Failing to lock up Sam and we risk 3 of our top 6 (Staal being the other) walking. Personally, I'd go for term, but only if that saves us on AAV. Five years, low 30s would be ideal if Adams can pull it off.

Just now, dudacek said:

It's a tough one. Locking up Sam could cost them an opportunity to lock up Hall.

Failing to lock up Sam and we risk 3 of our top 6 (Staal being the other) walking. Personally, I'd go for term, but only if that saves us on AAV. Five years, low 30s would be ideal if Adams can pull it off.

I take Reinhart > Hall 10 times outta 10

• Like (+1) 1

I still think the Sabres should sign Samson.  With Hall here now I am thinking less term (I wanted long term ... 7, or 8 years), maybe as little as 3.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  Staal may not sign on for another year.  Hall may not either.  Then what, if we don't sign Samson to some decent term?

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Him going to arbitration or signing a one year deal wouldn’t surprise me. 

Considering the uncertainty of next offseason (who will Seattle poach, will Staal re-sign, will Hall re-sign, what will the cap be) a 1 year deal might be best for both parties.  Didn't expect to be of that opinion, but didn't expect to see Hall on Jack's wing either.

He is 2 years from UFA, right?  (Opinion changes if he were only 1 year away.)

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Interesting. Why?

My love for Sam should be pretty well-known on here, but Hall is the more talented, more productive player.

He's younger and cheaper; Hall is better but I don't think he blows the door off Sam, long term and for the money I'd rather have Sam

Edited by WildCard

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He's younger and cheaper; Hall is better but I don't think he blows the door off Sam, long term and for the money I'd rather have Sam

It will be interesting to see who gets the larger portion of Jacks feeds.  THAT might determine who we choose for a longer term deal.

And if Sam signs a one-year contract… And after this year Hall even if he has a really good year decides that he just doesn’t wanna play in Buffalo anymore… So he goes… Now we’re without Hall or Rinehart ... that would massively suck!

And on top of that if Jack decides that he doesn’t have a good future in Buffalo… And he demands a trade…

I say you try to lock up Sam for as many years as he would like… And obviously try to get that contract as low as possible… And then worry about the other pieces after that. Although any demand north of 7.25… Then I guess I would actively pursue moving Sam.

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And if Sam signs a one-year contract… And after this year Hall even if he has a really good year decides that he just doesn’t wanna play in Buffalo anymore… So he goes… Now we’re without Hall or Rinehart ... that would massively suck!

And on top of that if Jack decides that he doesn’t have a good future in Buffalo… And he demands a trade…

I say you try to lock up Sam for as many years as he would like… And obviously try to get that contract as low as possible… And then worry about the other pieces after that. Although any demand north of 7.25… Then I guess I would actively pursue moving Sam.

Fack.  You can't even be happy for 1 day?  Adams has given Eichel strong supporting pieces in a true #1 LW & a true 2C and you're worried he wants to bolt.  (Yeah, yeah, we get it, there's NO way either will be back next season, right? (Where's the eyeroll emoji when you really need it?))

Reinhart can't walk at the end of this season.  Getting a 1 year deal helps them figure out where he fits LT as he won't surpass Hall as a key piece if Hall will re-sign but he's definitely in the plans & even moreso/ especially if Hall walks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Fack.  You can't even be happy for 1 day?  Adams has given Eichel strong supporting pieces in a true #1 LW & a true 2C and you're worried he wants to bolt.  (Yeah, yeah, we get it, there's NO way either will be back next season, right? (Where's the eyeroll emoji when you really need it?))

Reinhart can't walk at the end of this season.  Getting a 1 year deal helps them figure out where he fits LT as he won't surpass Hall as a key piece if Hall will re-sign but he's definitely in the plans & even moreso/ especially if Hall walks.

I think you may have misunderstood me… I’m very happy hall is here. I also hope Hall loves it here and wants to sign long-term. I also hope Rinehart wants to stay long term and stays here…

I just disagree with the mindset of we better not sign Reinhart long-term because then he’s going to take away money from Hall so let’s shortchange Reinhart in hopes that we have enough cap space to sign Hall and signs with us next year long-term. I don’t like that mindset. I would rather sign Reinhart long-term… And figure out Hall when we have to figure out Hall.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.