Reinhart, sign him or trade him?

sweetlou

While I can appreciate Dudacek’s cogent arguments and reseaons for bringing this wonderful thread back from the dead, I must admit I would love to see more from Perrault, Ligr and PI. Their debates on TPRMs and Reinharts soft play around the boards, first man off the ice, etc.  It’s like catnip during this Covid crisis.  I implore you PI, come back.  Stand up and deliver a bevy of reasons why an advantageous cap scenario is still not cause to resign Sam.  Let’s get this party started. 

8 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

While I can appreciate Dudacek’s cogent arguments and reseaons for bringing this wonderful thread back from the dead, I must admit I would love to see more from Perrault, Ligr and PI. Their debates on TPRMs and Reinharts soft play around the boards, first man off the ice, etc.  It’s like catnip during this Covid crisis.  I implore you PI, come back.  Stand up and deliver a bevy of reasons why an advantageous cap scenario is still not cause to resign Sam.  Let’s get this party started. 

Sam is not soft around the boards.

7 for 7 and I’m happy.

• Like (+1) 3

On 6/11/2020 at 8:56 AM, nfreeman said:

If they get Reino to re-sign at $6MM to $6.5MM x 7 years or so, I think the much-criticized bridge deal JB gave him will be vindicated.

There's no chance he signs for that low, unfortunately. I'm hoping it comes in below 8. 

I struggle to see why Reinhart won't elect for arbitration twice and head to UFA. 

I know Skinner was UFA, but IMO there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Sam commits long term to a deal 50% cheaper than Skinner's after putting up more than 200% the points last season. 

- - - 

But point of argument, yes, I will no longer criticize JB if Reino signs for that, the bridge would indeed be vindicated in that case. 

Edited by Thorny

On 6/11/2020 at 10:15 AM, dudacek said:

I’ve done some of the research and think you are very much in the ballpark. It’s hard to say how COVID will affect the market, but I tend to think it’s not going to have a huge impact on young core RFAs signing long-term. William Nylander is one of your better comparables, IMO.

Agree on Nylander - who's making 7 mil per. Add two years of inflation, not to mention Sam's arguable greater value to this team than Willie, and we are certainly looking at > 7 mil. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Agree on Nylander - who's making 7 mil per. Add two years of inflation, not to mention Sam's arguable greater value to this team than Willie, and we are certainly looking at > 7 mil. 

I think at least 24 NHL GMs would take Nylander over Reino though.

I would like to see him in at around 6.5 to 6.75.  I think Sam is a hell of a player and he's a core player for this team.  He's a guy that has improved each of the last two seasons fairly steadily.  If we're going to finally end this ***** streak of nine going on ten seasons not in the playoffs, he's going to play a part of it.  I'm a huge fan, and I'd rather see him here, than elsewhere.  Sign him. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I think at least 24 NHL GMs would take Nylander over Reino though.

Hard to say, but could be. 

Still, I feel that would more/less balance out the position of strength Reinhart holds in negotiations. GMs may not be lining up to offer fair value for Sam in a trade. We may NEED to keep him, and he's getting perilously close to UFA.

I still say, if Nylander got 7, Reinhart is going to ask for more than that after factoring in inflation. And I still think Skinner's deal factors in somehow, too.

Isn't Eichel's deal the closest to a long term value deal we've seen from JB? People would look at 6-6.5 for Sam and say, "wow, great job, Jason." It's not really shade, it's just, I'll believe it when I see it. 

Edited by Thorny

• 3 weeks later...

Question for the contract-savvy: If Reinhart goes to arbitration this ...offseason, whenever it is... does he get a 1-yr with UFA status ala Rodriques?

If yes -- why wouldn't he do that for maximum leverage going into the expansion draft? As opposed to getting a NMC slapped on him and getting stuck here in Hockey Purgeatory (he's had 3 GMs and 4 coaches). Even though Jack is fun to be a linemate with, hockey can also be fun on teams set up to win....

Also if yes as a follow-up, then what do you -- let him walk to Seattle - but allowing you to protect everyone else? Trade him elsewhere to avoid losing him? Fight like heck to sign him to a long-term extension and protect him from the expansion?

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Question for the contract-savvy: If Reinhart goes to arbitration this ...offseason, whenever it is... does he get a 1-yr with UFA status ala Rodriques?

If yes -- why wouldn't he do that for maximum leverage going into the expansion draft? As opposed to getting a NMC slapped on him and getting stuck here in Hockey Purgeatory (he's had 3 GMs and 4 coaches). Even though Jack is fun to be a linemate with, hockey can also be fun on teams set up to win....

Also if yes as a follow-up, then what do you -- let him walk to Seattle - but allowing you to protect everyone else? Trade him elsewhere to avoid losing him? Fight like heck to sign him to a long-term extension and protect him from the expansion?

He would have to sign a 2 year contract to reach UFA status. He's not a UFA until 26. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

This should not happen under any circumstances.  If they can't sign him, they have to trade him.  (And they should sign him.)

The Reinhart situation is only one of many hugely important events coming up in short order for our new GM.

Will be interesting to see what he does.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a question:  the Sabres can sign Reino to an extension anytime now, innit?  Does the fact that we've heard zero about any contract talks mean anything, especially in light of recent trade rumors?  i.e. if there are no contract talks, does that mean it's more likely that the Sabres are dangling Reino in trade talks?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.