Reinhart, sign him or trade him?

sweetlou

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is fun. Here's a sabre over the last 3 games

0g, 0a, -6, 11 shots, 3 hits, 55% on faceoffs

You know what is a really meaningless, hits. 

How about this player

0g, 0a, -3, 7 shots, 1 hit, 50% on 2 faceoffs

I don't include there names because raw numbers like this lack substance and context and that is my point. 

Anthony Cirelli

Also Buffalo should have traded for Miller, a lot of us wanted them too. I would not have traded #7 overall for Miller though. 

Eichel is playing hurt, and he's still contributing more than a healthy Reinhart.

Olofsson is a rookie and he won't be asking for $7m/yr this offseason.

What's Reinhart's excuse?  answer: Eichel is hurt.

This was a great opportunity for Sam to step and help out Jack, but he couldn't (or wouldn't).

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I am glad that you admit Reinhart needs help.

You ever go out and win a shift 1 on 5?  Nope.

That said, plenty of players have stretches of bad games and you know they do.  

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Reinhart gets the clack because we tanked an entire decade to pick 2OA and select him. Big shoes, and we had to tank yet another season just to help us forget how much of a let down Reinhart was. 

Ooo now we're just making things up. Cool. 

Did you know that quality of linemate is a stronger correlation to success than quality of competition? But sure that entire line was bad for 3 games. No argument here. I've also mentioned what I'd trade sam for. What I don't do is dump him because I think it's 1997 and Sam doesn't hit things enough. 

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Reinhart gets the clack because we tanked an entire decade to pick 2OA and select him. Big shoes, and we had to tank yet another season just to help us forget how much of a let down Reinhart was. 

I think you andd I have a much different opinion of Sam's talent.

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Did you know that quality of linemate is a stronger correlation to success than quality of competition? But sure that entire line was bad for 3 games. No argument here. I've also mentioned what I'd trade sam for. What I don't do is dump him because I think it's 1997 and Sam doesn't hit things enough. 

When did I say dump Sam?  I’m just pointing out that your precious is held to a higher standard because the e tire fan base and org suffered for a year just for him. 

yet it’s the next years draft pick that sells jerseys

Edited by triumph_communes

21 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

When did I say dump Sam?  I’m just pointing out that your precious is held to a higher standard because the e tire fan base and org suffered for a year just for him. 

yet it’s the next years draft pick that sells jerseys

We did not tank again because Reinhart wasn't good enough. He didn't even play. We were always going to tank for mceichel.

He's not precious. Trade him... for a real #2 center like cirelli. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Watching Leon put up 5 points tonight for Edmonton... what could of been. 

You do realize that if we had taken him our piss poor organization would've bungled his development so bad that instead of being the Hart frontrunner he'd probably be headed back to Europe as an NHL bust right???

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What he also doesn't do is rally his team by scoring 4 goals in a meaningful game.

As to the bolded part, I don't anybody's ever asked for or suggested that. All we want is a guy who sweats, works hard every night, plays his heart out in big games or key moments. The soft critique is because he shys away from and avoids contact and more specifically because he can easily be muscled off the puck and loses puck battles. Throwing a check once in a while might be nice (I've seen Eichel do it) but nobody expects that from him. It's a false narrative. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

What he also doesn't do is rally his team by scoring 4 goals in a meaningful game.

As to the bolded part, I don't anybody's ever asked for or suggested that. All we want is a guy who sweats, works hard every night, plays his heart out in big games or key moments. The soft critique is because he shys away from and avoids contact and more specifically because he can easily be muscled off the puck and loses puck battles. Throwing a check once in a while might be nice (I've seen Eichel do it) but nobody expects that from him. It's a false narrative. 

Lol 4 goals? Who the hell scores 4 goals in meaningful games outside of the top guys in the league. Sam isn't that. That is what this really comes down too. You want a 90pt 2nd overall pick. Sorry but at least we don't have Sam Bennett.

Which is not true.Everyone loses puck battles at times. Sam wins a whole bunch that never get mentioned. I have never seen him avoid contact. He used to stand in front on the PP and was damn good at it while getting crosschecked. He drives the net when Eichel is shooting. 

Who's a better player, Sam Reinhart on offense or Ristolainen on defense. This is the litmus test for the type of team you want. 

Edited by LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think I finally understand the Reinhart vitriol. It is because he was a 2nd overall pick and didn't turn into Draisaitl. While I disagree, I can understand the frustration. 

I’m not convinced that the board wouldn’t have panned picking Draisaitl at the time. There were a lot of concerns about his skating and Reinhart and Bennett were pretty unanimously the best two forwards. Hindsight is always 20/20. 

7 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I’m not convinced that the board wouldn’t have panned picking Draisaitl at the time. There were a lot of concerns about his skating and Reinhart and Bennett were pretty unanimously the best two forwards. Hindsight is always 20/20. 

Exactly… They were the overall consensus for the top two.
Yes you’re going to have the outlier fan who said “No No No! I wanted Draiaaitl!”

well, good for you… The vast vast vast majority, probably close to 99% didn’t have him as the top two. I know it’s hard to get over. But try.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think I finally understand the Reinhart vitriol. It is because he was a 2nd overall pick and didn't turn into Draisaitl. While I disagree, I can understand the frustration. 

His draft position doesn't matter to me.   He's a soft, extremely one dimensional player, who contributes absolutely nothing when he's not scoring.  In fact, I consider him a liability when he's not showing up on the score sheet.

3rd worst TRpm (-11) on the team, 3rd worst +/- at -12.   IMO, he's not a core guy you build a winning team around.    He's already 24, this is peak Sam, and it's not good enough, do better for a $7mil player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

There's no way this conversation exists if he had been a third round pick.

This conversation exists because he's a pending RFA who is playing on the top line, and puts up decent scoring numbers for a top line winger.

He has offensive skills, no doubt, but for me, he's too one dimensional... his offensive production (eg he'll never score 40g) doesn't outweigh his lack of productivity in other areas.

I would love Sam at 6-8 years at 6 mil.  But his peers are not getting that. As much as one wants to stomp their feet and cross their arms, I believe he’s getting close to 7 mil. Maybe slightly less, maybe slightly more. He has way too much evidence on his side that he’s worth that neighborhood of cap hit too.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.