Reinhart, sign him or trade him?

sweetlou

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Reason is, it's a current topic. Reason is he's up for a (big) contract. Reason is if we sign him to a huge long term payday like we already did with Skinner we are not only screwed short term, we are screwed for the next decade. 

The bar is so damn low here, the rest of the talent on the team so bad, that you and others see him as a valuable commodity. He's only that in a relative sense to what else is here, and not relative to the rosters of true cup contenders. If, for example, the Bruins had drafted him, he'd never have made it through more than 2 seasons before being shipped out of town unless he radically changed that inconsistent work ethic (and lack thereof). 

If your core players do not set the tone, the rest of the team will never follow. I will say it again, Reinhart can be on a team , but if Reinhart is part of your core, you will never win

I've always said he's an elite complimentary piece, but he is wasted 'space' if considered the core of anything

I like when he has his tantrums once every 20 games or so and goes out and gets a stupid penalty because he's not used to playing with his heart on his sleeve at all and is so awkward at it

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You let me know when you have had a lengthy conversation about hockey or played with Reinhart and then you can convince me you have any ***** clue what his character is. 

As usual you are just set in your opinion and reject all counter views. Have at it. Spare me the ******s cause you have shown me that you have never played the game. I'm right aren't I?

Just watch them. It's kind of obvious if you pay attention.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Did he play last night?

Yes he did.

In a huge must win game to climb back into the playoff race he puts up a stat line of....

0G, 0A, -1, 0 PIM, 1 SOG, 0 Hits, 0 Blocks

The game before that in a huge matchup vs TOR...

0G, 0A, 0+/-, 1 SOG, 0 Hits, 0 Blocks

And all of this while playing with a top 5 Center in the entire universe.

But sure, let's give him $8m/yr. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/19/2020 at 8:07 PM, PerreaultForever said:

As usual you are just set in your opinion and reject all counter views. Have at it. Spare me the ******s cause you have shown me that you have never played the game. I'm right aren't I?

Just watch them. It's kind of obvious if you pay attention.

Not right actually. Didn't play at a high level that's true. But I also have actually taken courses in statistics (have you? Seems unlikely) and use statistics regularly in my work. So you can claim I don't know hockey because i didn't play at a high enough level but you don't understand statistics or how they function. Kinda like Pi

And it's absolutely hilarious for you to tell me I reject counter views. Project much? 

On 2/19/2020 at 10:20 PM, pi2000 said:

Yes he did.

In a huge must win game to climb back into the playoff race he puts up a stat line of....

On 2/15/2020 at 6:24 PM, inkman said:

I question many things about the individual responsible for the movie you are referencing. I haven't watched it, nor will I, but that may be the most disturbing thing I've come across on the celluloid.  

You obv. didn't see SabrePeed. "A disturbing golden shower of suffering!" raved The Peeper Times.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:07 PM, Randall Flagg said:

What about his play on the Eichel goal?

Crosby has controller-disconnected gifs. Was it wrong for the Pens to sign him?

"Simple as that" referring to one single play is literally the worst case you could possibly construct. Eyes rolling out of my skull

I've been thinking about this. How many plays does an NHL player make in a game? Has to be in the low hundreds. If you extend that to "decisions," I think we're safely talking thousands. There's no way to count and evaluate all of them — maybe the puck chip and player chip thingies give us hope. So I suspect what the vast majority of "analysis" is, is people noticing a few very good, or a few very bad, conspicuous plays each game and forming an opinion. We all do it. (You, young man, do it far less than average, but you still do it. It can't be avoided.)

How good is Sam? We're kind of back to Stone Age analytics. He looks like a 25-goal, 70-point player.

pretty good curb your enthusiasm GIF

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I've been thinking about this. How many plays does an NHL player make in a game? Has to be in the low hundreds. If you extend that to "decisions," I think we're safely talking thousands. There's no way to count and evaluate all of them — maybe the puck chip and player chip thingies give us hope. So I suspect what the vast majority of "analysis" is, is people noticing a few very good, or a few very bad, conspicuous plays each game and forming an opinion. We all do it. (You, young man, do it far less than average, but you still do it. It can't be avoided.)

How good is Sam? We're kind of back to Stone Age analytics. He looks like a 25-goal, 70-point player.

pretty good curb your enthusiasm GIF

This is the encapsulation of why hockey is hard to analyze and thus so fun to watch. I try to keep it in mind (why I've gotten a lot softer on risto) but like you say, biases are unavoidable (don't you dare say a bad word about our nice boy Jack)

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is the encapsulation of why hockey is hard to analyze and thus so fun to watch. I try to keep it in mind (why I've gotten a lot softer on risto) but like you say, biases are unavoidable (don't you dare say a bad word about our nice boy Jack)

Hockey players are like a Star War. There are good ones (pick yours) and bad ones (I'll pick for you: The Holiday Special, Battle for Endor), but they're all our Stars and we'll watch 'em.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:20 PM, pi2000 said:

Yes he did.

You are silent today.

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Just checking in to see how Reinhart is doing today... oh... wow he's terrible what with his 1g 1a in the first period. Slacker. 

I actually was amazed at some of the defensive plays he made against the Pens.  There were several plays where he was involved in the offensive zone, the puck was turned over and what I thought was going to be an odd-man rush turned out to be routine defense because Sam had picked up his man coming out of the zone.  Sometimes it was because he simply put his head down and skated HARD.  All the Sabres seem to be doing that more lately and it makes a difference.

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not right actually. Didn't play at a high level that's true. But I also have actually taken courses in statistics (have you? Seems unlikely) and use statistics regularly in my work. So you can claim I don't know hockey because i didn't play at a high enough level but you don't understand statistics or how they function. Kinda like Pi

Assume a lot don't you? I'm a retired professional electrical engineer. Statistics are not an alien concept. They are, rather, quite simplistic.

Just cause I don't value something doesn't mean I don't understand it.

I get it, you're a stats guy. You study hockey in an academic way. Probably play fantasy and study that in depth too. Not my thing. To each his own, but you're right, we will probably never agree on these things cause we come at the game in completely different ways. I can live with that, can you?

I like Cirelli a lot as a player and if you go back about a year I was saying we should target him in a future trade. At the time, the idea was met with no interest on the board. Glad we now agree. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Assume a lot don't you? I'm a retired professional electrical engineer. Statistics are not an alien concept. They are, rather, quite simplistic.

I get it, you're a stats guy. You study hockey in an academic way. Probably play fantasy and study that in depth too. Not my thing. To each his own, but you're right, we will probably never agree on these things cause we come at the game in completely different ways. I can live with that, can you?

I like Cirelli a lot as a player and if you go back about a year I was saying we should target him in a future trade. At the time, the idea was met with no interest on the board. Glad we now agree. 

1) However much you think he is assuming about you, you are assuming just as much about him.

2) Electrical engineering, while cool, is about as related to statistical analysis as fantasy hockey is.  Basically not at all.  

3) A lot of people on this board had their eyes on Cirelli as a good acquisition target a year ago.  There was a lot of discussion about it.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

1) However much you think he is assuming about you, you are assuming just as much about him.

2) Electrical engineering, while cool, is about as related to statistical analysis as fantasy hockey is.  Basically not at all.  

3) A lot of people on this board had their eyes on Cirelli as a good acquisition target a year ago.  There was a lot of discussion about it.

Just saying that advanced math is not above me. He was being pretty condescending and ending with the "boring" gif was petty and beneath the level things should be at.

Differences of opinion, even strong ones, are fine, but snide insults are pointless. and tiresome.

I was on about Cirelli a long long time ago and it was dismissed. others talked about him much later, but of course that was back when I was the "new guy" and you know how that goes on sports boards. It doesn't matter to me now as to who was first. The point here would be parting with Reinhart and adding Cirelli and not just adding Cirelli as the thread is about signing or not signing Sam. 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

What? I know for a fact Flagg and myself were talking about him before last trade deadline when we hoped tampa might move him (cap reasons). He's been of interest for almost 14 months now. I don't finally agree with, because I'm one of the ppl originally bringing him up. 

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What? I know for a fact Flagg and myself were talking about him before last trade deadline when we hoped tampa might move him (cap reasons). He's been of interest for almost 14 months now. I don't finally agree with, because I'm one of the ppl originally bringing him up. 

Ok, you were first, you're right, you're awesome. Happy now? Jeez.

17 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Just saying that advanced math is not above me. He was being pretty condescending and ending with the "boring" gif was petty and beneath the level things should be at.

Differences of opinion, even strong ones, are fine, but snide insults are pointless. and tiresome.

I was on about Cirelli a long long time ago and it was dismissed. others talked about him much later, but of course that was back when I was the "new guy" and you know how that goes on sports boards. It doesn't matter to me now as to who was first. The point here would be parting with Reinhart and adding Cirelli and not just adding Cirelli as the thread is about signing or not signing Sam. 

Yea I gladly posted that gif. I won't apologize for not indulging Pi in his idiotic crusade. It's boring. 

Look you clearly need to claim you were first. You might have been but others discussed how good Cirelli was too and your claim that it was ignored is total bull. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.