Reinhart, sign him or trade him?

sweetlou

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This board is amazing. Completely out of touch with the bigger picture and I should not be surprised at all that Reinhart is the pariah to most around here, just like ROR before him. This time the excuses are even dumber. There's no lost his love of the game. There's just a constant diatribe that without Eichel, Reinhart would be what? a 40 point player? Considering all his numbers go up without Eichel this seems questionable at best. But hey, let's not sign him and trade him for a prospect, a pick, and another 3rd line player. That's what these trades look like and we know that. So if you are good with waiting another 3 years, trade him. At least then I won't have to listen to the stupid commentary especially after last night. Yup ***** play by Reinhart at the end of the period which he can in no way learn from or improve upon. The rest of the team sure showed up though and played hard, if only it weren't for that 1 bad Sam play we could have won. Connor Sheary last night was great. Jimmy Vesey continues his hot play. Michael Frolik, what a great addition. Jeff Skinner the 9 million dollar man, he was very noticable. If only Sam Reinhart hadn't sucked those players were ready to carry us to victory. ***** off. 

Explain to me how Sheary and Vesey sucked last night. 

Vesey had a goal, 4 shots, 2 hits and was a +2.   Sheary an assist a shot on goal and a +1 in just over 8min of ice time. Skinner 5 shots on goal.

Reinhart 0 points, 0 +/-, 1 shot and 0 hits in 25min.  

But yeah let's point the finger at the other guys making a fraction of what Sam will demand this summer and who get half the ice time. SMH

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

While at the game I noticed that Reinhart had a few plays along the boards to spring the puck out to an open teammate that I'm not sure a single other Sabre is capable of. I said to my sister that there's no way any of them would have been mentioned on Sabrespace, because Reinhart is a weak, soft player. As far as I saw, nobody commented on them. They were pretty impressive. He's a good player. And LTS appears to be the only one that noticed that Jack had a play far worse than Reinhart's backcheck last night

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Explain to me how Sheary and Vesey sucked last night. 

Vesey had a goal, 4 shots, 2 hits and was a +1.   Sheary an assist a shot on goal and a +1 in just over 8min of ice time.

Reinhart 0 points, 0 +/-, 1 shot and 0 hits in 25min.  

But yeah let's point the finger at the other guys making a fraction of what Sam will demand this summer and who get half the ice time. SMH

Yeah, let's deflect to the summer and what Sam will make. Those "other guys" are making almost the same as Sam right now and aren't producing any where near what he is. That's the reason for variance in icetime and the fact that Sam might still be here next season and the others not so likely.

44 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I think you’re giving too many people here credit. I remember the majority being very much at arms over his comment. But I may be misremembering. 

I remember it this way as well.  The folks that understood RORs comments to be disappointment at another lost season and not abandonment of the team were a definite minority around here.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Weave said:

I remember it this way as well.  The folks that understood RORs comments to be disappointment at another lost season and not abandonment of the team were a definite minority around here.

I defended RORs comments from the moment it happened and could not believe the number of folks on here who wanted him gone simply  because of what he said.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I defended RORs comments from the moment it happened and could not believe the number of folks on here who wanted him gone simply  because of what he said.

Great.  Now I’m questioning if I was on the wrong side of that discussion.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I admit to being one of those folks.  My only defense is I did not realize the organization was in as bad of a situation as it was (is).

I now see it as ROR was being dead honest but was probably not going to blame the organization OR refused to believe they were the problem.

1 hour ago, Cheektorado said:

I admit to being one of those folks.  My only defense is I did not realize the organization was in as bad of a situation as it was (is).

I now see it as ROR was being dead honest but was probably not going to blame the organization OR refused to believe they were the problem.

Right, he was being dead honest.    It's unavoidable if you're human and if winning is important to you.    I see him as a competitor being honest with the effect the season had on his psyche.    Maybe other guys on the team don't care so much about winning so losing doesn't bother them that much as long as they're putting up points and getting paid... but ROR values winning, so yeah losing takes it's toll on those guys, and if more guys on the team felt that same way maybe we wouldn't be talking about 9 straight seasons without playoffs.    

Now put that into perspective with Reinhart's play on the 2nd Larkin goal.     Does that look like a play a guy makes who hates losing, who values winning, puts the team above self, willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win?   

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Right, he was being dead honest.    It's unavoidable if you're human and if winning is important to you.    I see him as a competitor being honest with the effect the season had on his psyche.    Maybe other guys on the team don't care so much about winning so losing doesn't bother them that much as long as they're putting up points and getting paid... but ROR values winning, so yeah losing takes it's toll on those guys, and if more guys on the team felt that same way maybe we wouldn't be talking about 9 straight seasons without playoffs.    

Now put that into perspective with Reinhart's play on the 2nd Larkin goal.     Does that look like a play a guy makes who hates losing, who values winning, puts the team above self, willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win?   

Like I said, in hindsight I was too critical of ROR.  It now seems the team and organization let him down more than vice versa.

As to Reinhart, I said my piece.  He is a talented hockey player who I believe "coasts" too much.  I have been hoping he would become a better leader and a player more in line with his draft ranking.  I'm neutral as to what they do with him.  In a perfect world, for me it would be another short term contract but that is unlikely to happen.  I would not like a big dollar long term deal at this point BUT I will say again, I don't even think he wants to stay in Buffalo for the majority of his career.  My real hope is he will be truly honest with the team as to what he wants for his future and the team decides from there.

Edited by Cheektorado

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh look Reinhart scored. Where's the lazy and bad narrative? Nothing? 

Didn't think so.

it was a nice goal and he was skating .....

But

The Ice has two ends an offensive and defensive end. Watch Reinhart in his own end in regards to the breakout....NOT GOOD

Laziness is still not allowed - you can't decide when you want to play and when you "coast" from game to game

7 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

But

The Ice has two ends an offensive and defensive end. Watch Reinhart in his own end in regards to the breakout....NOT GOOD

Laziness is still not allowed - you can't decide when you want to play and when you "coast" from game to game

I'm ***** dumber for reading this

10 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

But

This is just not even remotely true.

Ok, I was on Reinhart for giving up on that play against the Wings.  I still believe that he, and several others, need to give more and be more consistent.    This team will never step up unless more players do.  

Tonight he played well, the comments on poor play in the defensive zone are off. I noted several times he was there to make a breakout happen.   

On 2/5/2020 at 11:09 AM, pi2000 said:

Trading him for picks and prospects is a consideration under two conditions...

1- His asking price is too high and he threatens to sit out the first few months of the season.

2 - Okposo can be part if the deal.

Moving Okposo off the books would be a huge step in the right direction.  Other teams find creative ways to move bad contracts.  If the opportunity to move Okposo presents itself as part of a deal for Reinhart, then you have to move on it.

That said I'm not sure I'd trust JBOT to correctly utilize that freed up cap space.

Dude.

There is NFW that Reino is the sweetener to get someone to take KO.  That's a draft pick, or a prospect, or taking the other team's bad contract.

As others have said, Reino is only going to be traded, and should only be traded, as part of a package to bring back an indisputable star.

11 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Was going to mention this, it happened right in front of me. Jack's worst play in at least 3 years.

I've noticed a discouraged petulance in Eichel's game lately.  I'm sure he's PO'd about yet another season down the tubes, but still.  The captain can't behave this way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Dude.

There is NFW that Reino is the sweetener to get someone to take KO.  That's a draft pick, or a prospect, or taking the other team's bad contract.

As others have said, Reino is only going to be traded, and should only be traded, as part of a package to bring back an indisputable star.

I've noticed a discouraged petulance in Eichel's game lately.  I'm sure he's PO'd about yet another season down the tubes, but still.  The captain can't behave this way.

Yeah a discouraged petulance. 2 points, Sabres score three, 2 primary assists and we win 3 -2.  Ill take 45 games a year like that. Sign me up.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Didn't think so.

Upped his trade value - as did Girgensens. Lots of scouts in the building I bet.

Here's another one for you to roll your eyes to. Ever notice how Reinhart is almost always the first off the ice when it's time for his line to change regardless of where the puck is?  Don't believe me? Watch for it one night, you'll be surprised.  

Edited by PerreaultForever

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It's been there since he entered the league.  I've commented on it in past seasons.  This season he seems to recognize when it happens and seems to actively push it aside.  But it does show up from time to time.

At this point it is my only criticism of him.  I'm hopeful that as he matures it goes away completely.  He has been improved about it so far this season.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Upped his trade value - as did Girgensens. Lots of scouts in the building I bet.

Here's another one for you to roll your eyes to. Ever notice how Reinhart is almost always the first off the ice when it's time for his line to change regardless of where the puck is?  Don't believe me? Watch for it one night, you'll be surprised.  

I can’t tell if you mean this in a good way or a bad way? A good teammate changes when it’s his turn for a change. A smart player changes when he has a smart opportunity to. Sam is a smart player, I can’t think of many instances of bad or sloppy changes on his part.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:16 PM, LGR4GM said:

Didn't think so.

Recency bias.

Nothing he did against the Rangers changes the fact that he flat out quit on the Larkin goal.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:45 AM, pi2000 said:

Reinhart's play on the 2nd Larkin goal.     Does that look like a play a guy makes who hates losing, who values winning, puts the team above self, willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win?   

This and this again. JBot got rid of the wrong guy in his attempt to change the culture. Remember too, this was his effort after publicly voicing team criticism. That is leadership??? How do you think that goes down with other players? How do you think that will get this team and other players to play hard and give it their all when the "core" player who will be earning what 7, 8 mil against their 1-2 does that? Would it motivate you? I think not. 

This team might already be doomed locked to Skinner, It is definitely doomed if Sam Reinhart is long term high paid 'talent'. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This and this again. JBot got rid of the wrong guy in his attempt to change the culture. Remember too, this was his effort after publicly voicing team criticism. That is leadership??? How do you think that goes down with other players? How do you think that will get this team and other players to play hard and give it their all when the "core" player who will be earning what 7, 8 mil against their 1-2 does that? Would it motivate you? I think not. 

This team might already be doomed locked to Skinner, It is definitely doomed if Sam Reinhart is long term high paid 'talent'. 

I was pretty livid over that play too, that said though if ever there was a situation for a guy like Sam to learn from, this was it.

Especially when Harrington went out of his way to piss him off in the post-game interview. Sam went out and played an A-plus road game the next night, and added a sweet breakaway goal.

Who knows, maybe a nice serving of public crow, actually taught him something?

Edited by Kristian
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kristian said:

I was pretty livid over that play too, that said though if ever there was a situation for a guy like Sam to learn from, this was it.

Especially when Harrington went out of his way to piss him off in the post-game interview. Sam went out and played an A-plus road game the next night, and added a sweet breakaway goal.

Who knows, maybe a nice serving of public crow, actually taught him something?

That was my thought. 

9 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Recency bias.

Nothing he did against the Rangers changes the fact that he flat out quit on the Larkin goal.

Yes, recency bias.  Yours is from 1 game earlier. You do realize you are the pot in this story right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.